Why Horus instead of Dorn?

Devon M

In the words of Horus himself "It should have been sanguinous".

The emperor chose the first son he had found, the whose raising he had the most hand in, and the one who showed the biggest drive to rule.

As for the Imperial Fists operating from terra- why would you not choose one of your seigemasters to construct and operate the defenses of your personal home and the seat of your empire?

The Imperial Fists were chosen to operate from Terra because they came looking for the Emperor in Phalanx (so generally no homeworld). Instead of having to be found.

Dorn had already built Phalanx, but it wasn't he that found the Emperor. The Emperor found him, during the Great Crusade, and he was the seventh Primarch located. Grey Mage is correct: Dorn excelled in the making of fortifications, and he was ideal for the effort of fortifying the Imperial Palace.

Horus may have been the Emperor's Warmaster and his warriors representative of the power of Terra after the Emperor's seclusion but Dorn was his Champion and his Marines his Praetorians. The Emperor even chose their company over His Custodes on occasion, IIRC.

Dorn and the IF only became his Praetorians after being recalled to Terra to reinforce the Imperial Palace/

do you remember how Dorn reacted to what Garro had to say? :D I think that's another reason :P he's too hot tempered and he wasn't able to control himself. I'd say lack of self control.

Athough in fairness I don't think his reaction was really all that different from any primarch's reaction to the accusation made against Horus, believed to be the greatest of them.

And he did back down once shown proof, which means even in his rage he was still capable of rational thought.

(You know I have to defend Dorn. I play Black Templars ;) )

do you remember how Dorn reacted to what Garro had to say? ;) I think that's another reason ;) he's too hot tempered and he wasn't able to control himself. I'd say lack of self control.

Athough in fairness I don't think his reaction was really all that different from any primarch's reaction to the accusation made against Horus, believed to be the greatest of them.

And he did back down once shown proof, which means even in his rage he was still capable of rational thought.

(You know I have to defend Dorn. I play Black Templars ;) )

Dorn doesn't need to be defended. Garro's just lucky he didn't tell Sigismund the bad news. :P (I play Black Templars too...)

Dorn doesn't need to be defended. Garro's just lucky he didn't tell Sigismund the bad news. ;) (I play Black Templars too...)

QFT

So I bet I wasn't the only one who got a tingle down my spine when the identity of the boarders on the Einstein was revealed...

What does QFT mean... I'm not as hip in the newer lingo these days...

Anyways, Dorn thought mostly in fortification, and possibly blowing up fortification.

But in all seriousness.......What was special about Sanguinius anyways? ;) Besides wings.

Horus wasn't the greatest, he was just first to be found, and he had every part that made each and every Primarch special.

The Lion was efficient tactician, but he lacked "charisma". Dorn was too far aloof. Roboute Guilliman was far too rigid in his beliefs to fully adapt to certain things, but was a great military leader to be sure. Where Horus bombed xenos who waited in stadiums to fight the Astartes, Guilliman would probably have gone down to fight them....maybe Dorn as well. The Lion, Pertuabo, and possibly Alpharius would chuckle as they bombed the silly xenos.

Horus is said to have held the Emperor's desire to conquer, his ambition, his thrist for power. And his ego is part of it too. In Galaxy in Flames Horus asks why he is Warmaster. Erebus goes on about how he is the most fitting, the best the ..."I did not ask for flattery! Abaddon smiled thinly 'because you always win' "

Horus was picked above other for his relationship to Emperor and the fact that he would always look for total victory, never for half victories, only total unquestionable victory. Dorn was based on terra because he made the perfect Praetorian, capable and yet never very popular compared to Horus, Horus got the public role while Dorn is his personal champion, more in the shadows, no need to act up to the adoring masses. Also horus was always good at reading people and then using them to ther best potential. Dorn no doubt was good at this also, but not to Horus' level, he needed to really know people first, not a barrier when being the Praetorian.

Horus though, he states that Sanguinius has it all, all of the Emperor's qualities, "It should have been him"

QFT, in the language of the 1st and Only would be "Quite Fething True". Of course, you could probably replace that with some archaic 20th century analogue.

Let's just all remember that Horus isn't a bad guy, he's just a tad gullible.

None of the Traitor Primarchs were particularly evil men, they just all had deep-seated flaws in their all-too-human personalities. Whether Angron's rage fuelled by his early life, Lorgar's devotion to his godlike father, Mortarion's brutal stubbornness, Fulgrim's desire for perfection to emulate his father, Magnus' all-encompassing desire for knowledge, or Horus' own ambition and dedication to never fail his father, they could all be twisted into the evil of Chaos.

But in all seriousness.......What was special about Sanguinius anyways? ;) Besides wings.

Beauty and lethality in equal abundance, a latent psychic talent and a master both of war and art, terrible and noble, destructive and calm. As Horus himself said: 'it should have been him.'

Oh, and the wings.

Dorn was called back to Terra because he was a craven lapdog, and every lapdog yaps to be near its master. Ok sorry that was the Iron Warrior in me talking. In any case, Horus's modus operandi was very offensive in nature and was therefore better suited to the offensive task of retaking the galaxy. Horus perfected "ripping the throat out of the enemy" a talent that would make him a great warmaster for an imperialistic crusade, but not necessarily a great engineer, and engineering was what was needed to construct the fortress on Terra.

As for Sanguinius, I too never found him to be a particularly compelling primarch as he always struck me as some kind of emo Mary Sue, brooding about his problems and causing lots of screaming from teenage girls. Kind of like a male version of Robert Pattison.

Don't forget that Horus was also a master politician, able to command any situation and influence people to his way of thinking without them knowing it through intelligence, psychology and sheer force of personality.

I don't remember the exact incident, but I recall Loken observing Horus performing some seemingly small action upon meeting hundreds of men that made them 'his forever'. Perhaps someone remebers this more exactly...?

Don't forget that Horus was also a master politician, able to command any situation and influence people to his way of thinking without them knowing it through intelligence, psychology and sheer force of personality.

I don't remember the exact incident, but I recall Loken observing Horus performing some seemingly small action upon meeting hundreds of men that made them 'his forever'. Perhaps someone remebers this more exactly...?

Upon meeting the expeditions over murder he tell them to not prostrate themselves for they've fought or something like that, then he tells them he would rather a cheer of applauses, and how he particulary hates bunting :wub: It helps that HE doesn't rip them apart for being incompetent fools...

Unlike the other Primarchs, Horus could walk into a room and instantly read everyone in it well enough to know exactly what to say to win them over. In moderns terms, he could assemble 1000 followers of each and every ideology and religion on this planet, give a short speech, and they'd all unite to cheer for him, regardless of other concerns. They would follow him through the gates of Hell if he asked them to. No other Primarch could do that.

As for Sanguinius, I too never found him to be a particularly compelling primarch as he always struck me as some kind of emo Mary Sue, brooding about his problems and causing lots of screaming from teenage girls. Kind of like a male version of Robert Pattison.

What makes you think of him like that, the way he looks? Or is there something that he actually did?

Archived