Why didnt the emperor create more primarchs?

Steelavenger

Probably because it took massive amounts of effort and time to create the original 20, and you can't just whip up some more.

Plus if the warp had scattered them so easily after finding out about them, he'd be reluctant to do the same

And yet again he did.

The arcane texts of The Lost and the Damned speaks of the "star children", descending from the emperor with the potential to reach further than anyone else. Yet as the old geezer never took the time to tell anyone about them, they're of course hunted by the inquisition as abominations and heretics :)

Cyrox has it. It took him centuries to "whip up" the Primarchs. After all that time and effort, it took seconds for Chaos to scatter them. Re-creating 20 more would have taken great effort while providing no insurance against a repeat of the same disaster. The Emperor, being a peerless psyker, may very well also have possessed some sort of limited understanding and prescience regarding his sons' location and/or the possibility of finding them. In that sense, looking for them would require less resources than making more of them. Also, this might be a stretch, but if the Emperor was aware of Chaos, and creating Primarchs took so long, leaving the originals out there in the void could have been dangerous. What if Chaos fully tainted those 20 and made them into its own warlords before the Emperor had a chance to embark on his Great Crusade?

Cause GW is to lazy to give us more of them. They had problems ideating 20 and ended up with only 18

More likely they left it open to the fans... Don't be so hard on them.

Well I´ll be much more comfortable if there wasn´t that ultra hole in the backgr9ound. Let´s get it nobody would never potray those legions rightly if GW DOESN´T AT LEAST TELL US THEIR NAMES

Cause GW is to lazy to give us more of them. They had problems ideating 20 and ended up with only 18

More likely they left it open to the fans... Don't be so hard on them.

Well I´ll be much more comfortable if there wasn´t that ultra hole in the backgr9ound. Let´s get it nobody would never potray those legions rightly if GW DOESN´T AT LEAST TELL US THEIR NAMES

I really thought that GW originally left them open for people to create their own chapters and have the freedom to choose a name, whether they're Imperial or fell to Chaos, etc. Now the fluff has developed more and we're still left with the gap which is being treated as a mysterious gap in the records (which is not unusual in the Imperium after all...)

If GW now came up with some legions and Primarchs to fill those gaps, they'd be slated and people would hate them. It's always the way when GW try to do things like that. I think they'll just continue to drop vague hints in the HH books and leave it at that. Better to preserve the mystery.

IIRC A more recent piece of fluff hints that the other two Primarchs did something so terrible they were totally expunged from history. Where the Traitor Primarchs merely had shrouds thrown over their statues the unknown two didn't have statues at all and IIRC one of the Primarchs (or was it marines) says something along the lines of their crimes being so terrible that not only were they totally expunged from history but that it was considered a horrible offence to even speak of them or their chapters at all.

EDIT: So it leaves you to wonder. What in the entire 40k Galaxy could be so terrible that they're totally expunged from history when breaking humanity in half and laying the Emperor Low with your treason wasn't.

i always thought the 20 primarchs was a nod to Roman legions, which were 20 strong, with 2 being erased from history. or so i was told.

Sounds like whoever told you that was either fairly mis-informed or simply making it up.

To date, about 50 have been identified. In the time of the Early Roman Empire, there were usually about 25-35 standing legions plus their Auxiliaries, with more raised as needed.

In the HH series. Horus is sent back through time to when the Emperor had the primarchs in the vats.

If anyone has read the series. Remember he kills a few custodes and then the Emperor comes in and tells him to stop what he is doing.

So as there is interaction between horus and the people in the visions i would assume that its time travel.

So that being said, the Emperor knew that something was going to happen to them, and that they would mature.

So he endevoured to find them again. So it might not be is psykic abilities that let him know about the primarch's servival.

In twisting horus to chaos they had to let the Emperor know about it.

It was the only way it would work.

Just a thought.

In the HH series. Horus is sent back through time to when the Emperor had the primarchs in the vats.

If anyone has read the series. Remember he kills a few custodes and then the Emperor comes in and tells him to stop what he is doing.

So as there is interaction between horus and the people in the visions i would assume that its time travel.

So that being said, the Emperor knew that something was going to happen to them, and that they would mature.

So he endevoured to find them again. So it might not be is psykic abilities that let him know about the primarch's servival.

In twisting horus to chaos they had to let the Emperor know about it.

It was the only way it would work.

Just a thought.

Was that a real historical event or just a vision/hallucination? I figured it was the latter.

This is unclear as to whether it is actually Horus traveling back in time, or a chaos-induced vision that is pure theatre just for Horus' benefit. Like most things that Horus is shown/told by Erebus, it is probably a grain of truth - from a certain point of view - with a lot of lies on top just to twist him to becoming the dark Gods pawn..

Well during the invasion to germania three legions lose their aquilas and were efectively disvanded except the 19 since their aquila was recovered. But those where 10% percento of the legions in the roman empire so i don´t think thats an effective explanation.

Still I´ll love to have two more legions revealed so we could bread new chapters

I think it's better for them to remain in mystery and shroud. Were they to be revealed, it would strip them of all that fascination and leave 40k a little bit more explored and plain.

From what is told of them, they've committed some terrible, wordlessly insane crimes that rival even the one which Horus did to mankind, which speaks volumes of corruption and taint.

Do we Chaos players need to know more than that they've at least fallen into the fold? :lol:

Doesn't it mention somewhere that each of the Primarch represent an aspect of the Emperor's personality? Or am I making that up?

It's been mentioned once or twice in the early parts of the HH series, but never really explored.

The two missing Primarchs have empty plinths in that hall of statues, and iirc they were originally intended for players to invent their own Primarchs. Now, of course, they're just expunged from all records for some dark crime or other.

Archived