which codex to use of a pre-heresy luna wolves

Black hydras

For me the closest pre-heresy codex is the codex chaos space marine (without demon and mark). nearly the same organisation (20 men squad), same technologie (no storm bolter/assault canon) same vehicule (no razorback, crusader, redeemer ...). Miss probably a tactic legion and jetbike squad (and if you really want some special vehicule like grav attack, sabre tank hunter).

Some pre-heresy codex exist but for local game:

tempus fugitives - great crusade - with space marine codex V5

bell of lost souls - with codex space marine V4

I'm using Codex Space Wolves for my idea, since i think it incooporates the Luna Woplves ability to switch between shooting and assault with ease (Grey hunters have Bolter and 2CCW) and the Space Wolves are probably closest to the original legion format then the others (C:SM uses the Codex Astartes which is post heresy and C:CSM has corruption and the like)

I'm using Codex Space Wolves for my idea, since i think it incooporates the Luna Woplves ability to switch between shooting and assault with ease (Grey hunters have Bolter and 2CCW) and the Space Wolves are probably closest to the original legion format then the others (C:SM uses the Codex Astartes which is post heresy and C:CSM has corruption and the like)

Actually the Space Wolves aren't organised like an origional Legion at all. They are organised as Russ intended, unique and unlike any of the other Legions. Also regular Chaos Space Marines have bolters, bolt pistols and close combat weapons so that's not a justification either, not to mention the Space Wolves do not use pre-heresy gear nor do the Luna Wolves have really any wolfy traits.

The Chaos Space Marines is the most appropriate Codex bar none for pre-heresy armies. It's the only one that allows you to field the proper pre-heresy equipment including Reaper Autocannons, Combi-Bolters and so forth. Vindicators would need to be left out along with Chaos Spawn, Possessed, Chaos Marks, Daemons and so forth. Nevertheless it's the only codex that provides the accurate wargear for the time period.

I started a similar thread not long ago and a couple of people told me BT was best in terms of that pre-heresy feel, but I do agree that the CSM Codex has the right equipment selection.

The only problem with using CSM is you have to be very careful in how you balance your force. That codex is build around the assumption that you're using the chaos stuff and it's balanced accordingly. Points aren't the only thing that helps the opposing forces be roughly equal. Using CSM without the chaos elements is like cutting off one leg in terms of what's available.

But I don't have a better idea in terms of keeping the fluff accurate, for the reasons stated above.

If you're going to use C:CSM, you can always use 'Count-As' for some of the Chaos stuff. Sure, things like Spawn might be a little harder to explain (well, maybe impossible) but things like Marks of Chaos and Banners could be easily explainable. That would probably help with the balance side of the game.

If its for fun why not use the Chaos Spacemarine codex and "add And they shall know no fear".

And add Scouts, Landspeeders, Attack Bikes and droppod but drop Defilers, vindicators, any kind of Deamon, Possessed, and Spawns (and the drop of Frenzy on Dreadnought) after that youre pretty much at a Preheresy legion like army.

Spacewolves all the way...

Lukas the trickster... Torgaddon

ulrik the slayer... Loken

arjac rockfist... That justaerian squad leader guy

Logan grimnar... Abbadon

squads could easily represent the heresy era units. Small heavy weapon squads, specialized units for shooting or assault. You can have a propensity of terminators or troops depending on who you take as a character. And if you really want to get fun after you get tired of paintin Luna wolves, it's perfect to represent an istvaan force...

Ragnar blackmane could be Khârn leading units of berzerkers aka blood claws... And you can use the sagas to represent almost any character from the heresy series. Besides, they both have wolf in the name!

Archived