Custom Sternguard Marines

hey there, just found this thread and wanna say those models are cool, especialy after you added those bits. in all honesty (and i know this is a personal choice thing) i don't like the akimbo/dual wielding space marines...

but what to do in the instance where i don't wanna convert combi weapons is the thought that keeps my sternguard as bits

(might have an idea though)

Updates you ask! UPDATES YOU ASK!!!

Well some may be just aorund the corner, including their "ride". :D

@ Bro. Martemis: Each to their own on the akimbo front. I like it the way it's posed as if he's on a stand of defiance against the enemy when they get out of their vehicle. :/ Hmm not sure about the combi wepaons bit though.

More to come soon hopefully. Got me some more bits recently including some more ornate bolters.

Cambrius

I like them, very good. The only thing I can think of to make them more sternguard-y would be to cut the clips off their bolters and replace them with box clips, either from Terminator storm bolters or possibly the vehicle upgrade sprue storm bolter, bit of green stuff, voila! Special issue ammo!

I like them, very good. The only thing I can think of to make them more sternguard-y would be to cut the clips off their bolters and replace them with box clips, either from Terminator storm bolters or possibly the vehicle upgrade sprue storm bolter, bit of green stuff, voila! Special issue ammo!

Now there's a cunning plan I might try out! Thanks for that idea Lysimachus, I'll try that with a couple of the marines and see if it'll be good for 'em. :)

Pictures coming soon of the Roazorback!

Cambrius

Well here's the update I promised. I've been working on the vehicle my Sternguard will use on the battlefield. There was a rhino that was demanding me to be built and so with the spare parts I had I made a Razorback transport for them all. So without further ado, the Razorback ride of my Sternguard:

gallery_26154_2055_1130609.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3423342.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1700209.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_1308551.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_104371.jpg

gallery_26154_2055_3779319.jpg

What do you all think? Are the additions enough to make it look worthy for a sternguard unit?

Cambrius

can't work out what i'm seeing at the front of the left hand side...

other than that, looks cool, maybe some more purity seals and/or terminator honours, or even battle damage. but i would say the best time to make it stand out is when you get to painting it

B)

other than that, my sternguard that we were discussing is my first project this year, just trying to fing time to design and GS 10 custom shoulder pads for made up chapters...

done one so far and got 4 or 5 others drawn out, takes a while to find time to do them ;)

can't work out what i'm seeing at the front of the left hand side...

other than that, looks cool, maybe some more purity seals and/or terminator honours, or even battle damage. but i would say the best time to make it stand out is when you get to painting it

:P

It's a skull like the one on the left door. I've added a few purity seals on the vehicle now but yeah the paint scheme will hopefully make it look the part.

other than that, my sternguard that we were discussing is my first project this year, just trying to fing time to design and GS 10 custom shoulder pads for made up chapters...

done one so far and got 4 or 5 others drawn out, takes a while to find time to do them :P

Glad to hear they're getting on. If oyu need some custom chapter symbols, I have a plethora of chapter symbols you can try and make with GS.

UPDATE: I'm now very happy to say that I have now completed all 5 of the Sternguard models. I've done a new sergeant for the squad, with the former sarge being sent to the honour of being in my command squad. Pictures coming very soon. :D

Cambrius

Well I promised pics, here they are with a brand new sergeant and final bolter wielding marine!

Firstly, the sergeant:

gallery_26154_4148_2705816.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3485167.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_743143.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_555056.jpg

And now the bolter wiedling marine, with his ornate RT era bolter I got in a bitz sale. :D

gallery_26154_4148_684315.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_2979672.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_2082230.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_50553.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_2747989.jpg

And finally a group shot of all my Sternguard with their Razorback transport:

gallery_26154_4148_3118173.jpg

All comments/critique appreciated, hopefully they'll be sprayed soon.

Cambrius

i love the inclusion of the RT bolter, it looks cut down/ slim line,

makes me think of the cuban house scene at the end of Bad Boys 2.

trimmed down, makes me think thats what scouts should use.

Well I've not seen Bad Boys so I don't know what your on about there, but thanks for the compliment. :D

Cambrius

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta admit, it makes me smile whenever someone uses that tutorial to make a combi-flamer :) Looks good.

One way to make it look more ornate would be to use the master crafted boltgun from the command squad kit. Cut the lower half off, after removing the front nozzle. Now take the combi-plasma and cut it in half as well, then remove the front plasma part. Basically you want the lower part that is between the plasma firing end and the grip. Place that part on the master craftered boltgun and then attached the flamer part as you would have otherwise.

Gotta admit, it makes me smile whenever someone uses that tutorial to make a combi-flamer :D Looks good.

One way to make it look more ornate would be to use the master crafted boltgun from the command squad kit. Cut the lower half off, after removing the front nozzle. Now take the combi-plasma and cut it in half as well, then remove the front plasma part. Basically you want the lower part that is between the plasma firing end and the grip. Place that part on the master craftered boltgun and then attached the flamer part as you would have otherwise.

Thanks, it's a great tutorial to use, I just added a little "artistic license" with the shoulder rest. It'll look a lot more ornate once I get him based and painted up, all of the bolters will be mostly gold with some areas of silver to help carry the ornateness across. :) Sadly I do not have the command squad box set so I don't have an ornate bolter from that but I'll keep your suggestion above in mind for the future when I may make some more combi flamers...10 man sternguard anyone? ;)

Cambrius

Nice job on the sergeant! Is that battle-damage on his helmet my horrible eyes spot?

Nope they're the vents of his helm which I messed up spectacularly is attempting with my drill. :sweat:

Cambrius

Ah. Smaller holes may help, and cleaning it up would as well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on these guys, they have now been ased and will hopefully be sprayed at somepoint soon. Other advancements in my LPC challenge have taken place as well and will upload pictures in the future.

Cambrius

I do Believe it's the Marine at the back-right, my friend - had an arm change from a boltpistol to a combat knife If I'm not wrong :lol:

Arenis

its the DA wing shoulder pad thats gone right?

Can I haz da cookie?

Congratulations! You have both recieved an Emperor's sanctioned cookie to enjoy!

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/Youre-Awseome/1/cookie.jpg

Cambrius

I do Believe it's the Marine at the back-right, my friend - had an arm change from a boltpistol to a combat knife If I'm not wrong :eek

Arenis

its the DA wing shoulder pad thats gone right?

Can I haz da cookie?

Congratulations! You have both recieved an Emperor's sanctioned cookie to enjoy!

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/Youre-Awseome/1/cookie.jpg

Cambrius

Yay! :)

*OmNomNom*

Arenis :D

• 5 months later...

Well after a long time of nothingness, I've got the bug back and have done some further work on these guys, specifically their transport as seen below. all that needs to be done now is highlight the edges, add a little battle damage and some further details and it'll be done. :)

gallery_26154_4148_2461055.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_1059882.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_2524798.jpg

More pictures to come once i've got my camera to behave a little more and maybe with some shots on the progress on the Sternguard themselves.

Comments appreciated,

Cambrius

• 3 months later...

An update from the caves of Cambrius. <_< I've built a 6th member of the squad for the local club's kill team scenarios, where I'll hopefully be using my Sternguard in. This one has been given a combi plasma (originating from the Terminatore Librarian) and I've tried using a chaos marine's chest piece (specifically for the large skull) to add to the look of ornateness.

gallery_26154_4148_2158518.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3670109.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_1996977.jpg

The other marines haven't been forgotten either. they're close to completion, but look a bit of a mess right now before I clean them up a little more. ;)

Cambrius

Archived