Pre-Heresy IA: The Lost Legions

Long ago, before the grim darkness of the 40th millennium, before the terror and uncertainty of the Horus Heresy, there was a hope for humanity. The Emperor of Mankind began spreading his influence across the stars, his Imperial Truth bringing together the scattered souls of humanity and giving a light to the eternal darkness of space. But he could not do it alone. He toiled for years under the greatest mountains of Terra, using arcane sciences and the power of his will, he created the Primarchs. These were his sons, twenty perfect beings, each imbued with a facet of the Emperors being, these would be the men to lead humanity to greatness. Every single one was unique, each to have different personalities and skills, each able to carry out a task of the Emperors will to the utmost perfection. But, the foul powers of the warp saw the danger these Primarchs stood. Using their combined might, the four Chaos Gods created a wicked portal in the incubation chamber, and spread the Emperors Sons across the stars.

The Primarchs became stranded far from their father, with no knowledge of the Imperium and few with any way of escaping their planets, they were left to their own devices. These years formed the Primarchs into who they were, who they would become and what their ultimate choice in the fate of the Imperium would be. They were alone, for all they knew they were the only of their kind, completely and utterly alone with their perfection. This was the truth, for all but two of the Primarchs.

On a world, only a few hundred light years from Earth, dwelt two Primarchs. Allarian Sunbearer and Wyllian Greensword, two men of vastly different upbringings, were brothers. Though different, these men would eventually fight together for the fate of their world. This world was Amoria.

I will continue this at my leisure, but that doesn't mean updates will be far and few between. I'll likely update tomorrow. Enjoy. :)

Amoria was a beautiful planet in most respects. Snow capped mountains scrapping the clouds, rolling golden fields and thousands of acres of beautiful silver trees. But, not all of Amoria was magnificent as this, a blight had spread upon the land. No one knows of when the corruption had began, it had been there for as long as records had been kept by the planets more civilized people. A torn, dark sprawl of land, spanning across little more than half of the greatest of Amorias continents. No man dared to enter this cursed realm, it was told that wicked creatures prowled the ruined land, that a man would be struck with a foul sickness that would render him bloated and falling apart. But these tales could have been a simple legend, used to scare children and would be adventurers from the realm.

But there was a real and very cruel danger to these wasted lands. Psychotic men roved around the wastes, worshiping horrible idols and setting out upon the untainted lands, where they would pillage all they could see. There were many tribes of these men, each unique and brutal in their own way. Ravening zealots were the most common, men who would fall upon a village and leave nothing but altars to their gods and bloodied sacrifices. Four other tribes existed. The foremost were the berserkers, men who have let themselves slip into a constant blood craze. These men would outright kill their victims, no torture or suffering, they always left a clean, or rather quick death. There were then bands of wailing, androgynous humans, or what once were humans. They would come upon a town, and would use all the sadistic methods a man could dream of in order to experience sick forms of pleasure. Slow and painful deaths, torture and beat is what these monsters would bring, many said that they were by far the worst. Others tell of the diseased ones, men bloated and malformed by all form of illness. These vermin would not attack a town directly, instead, they would infect the populace. They watched and laughed as the contagion spread, soon all would be dying from the painful corruption. They would sit outside for days, and slaughter any trying to escape, none would flee from their "blessing". The most mysterious of these groups were the sorcerers, men with the foul touch of mutation. They would enter a town at dusk, and by morning, the residents would be gone. No sign of bloodshed, barely any sign of struggle, they and the sorcerers would simply be gone. No one could say what the sorcerers did to those people they kidnapped, no one had ever escaped their grasp.

Two nations stood at the forefront of this darkness, two nations who had lost so much to the vile hordes. Dalradia, a nation of hardy people considered by most to be barbaric and primitive. And Larria, a civilized and ordered place. These two nations held the people who would free Amoria from the grasp of darkness.

Though there were many nations on Amoria, none felt the terrible darkness as Dalradia and Larria did. Though, they had a common and dangerous enemy. Dalradians and Larrians could not be any more different. The two nations had fought several bloody wars with eachother, but with the growing threat of the wasteland, they held a tenuous peace.

Larria was a large and imperialistic nation, its leaders constantly looking to expand their borders to gain wealth and power. The Larrians lived cultured and easy lives, most able to take time to partake in the arts. Though it was not to say they did not work hard, life was not a constant struggle. With their comfort, the Larrians saw much of the world as barbaric, and their arrogance was renowned with the "lesser" nations. Larria was ruled by a King, who's line had stretched back for hundreds of years. The King held a court of powerful sorcerers, who guided his hand and advised him, especially in matters concerning the Wasteland. Larria was well organized, with a strong economy and a military to match it. Most of Larria was rolling grassland, which allowed for a strong agriculture. The Larrian military was well ordered, with officers trained to work with cold efficiency. They preferred a ruthless ranged attack, followed by a cavalry charge or relentless infantry advance. A large contingent of the Larrian forces consists of Knights, noblemen who choose to fight for king, country and glory. These mounted warriors make up the elite of the Larrian forces. Larria held a small border with the wastelands compared to Dalradia, allowing them to fortify and easily repel most of the barbarian raids.

Dalradia could not be classified as a singular country, but rather many clans joint together in brotherhood. Each Clan held a territory, in which their word was law. With the number of clans and sizable territory for each, Dalradia was massive, almost greater in size than the Larrian Empire. Dalradia was a rough nation, with continuous highlands and thick, dark forests. Dalradians lived simple lives, but not in the same way that the Larrians did. The Dalradians only wanted to live in peace and freedom, they had no need for the Imperialism of the Larrians. Each day was a struggle to them, but they continued on stoically. The Clans lived in harmony with eachother, clan hatreds and rivalries having long been extinguished with the threat of the barbarians ever looming. Dalradian warriors were unparalleled, men with berserkers strength and awesome skill with a blade. In comparison with Larrian armies, the Dalradian warbands would likely seem like a simple rabble, but their shear skill and ferocity gave them the ability to hold off hundreds of years of abuse from the wastelands. The barbarians were a constant and very real threat to Dalradia, with raids ever present. Though the Dalradians fought hard, their numbers just could not match the hordes of barbarians. With hundreds of Dalradians dying or being enslaved with every raid, the people began losing hope and looked skywards for salvation.

They had know idea that the heavens would answer their calls.

Rule Zero: Thou shall not speak of the lost legions.

Rule One: To try and fill in the lost Legions is to create a cliché of the most *facepalm* type, no matter how well done.

Tip:Games Workshop has named the two lost Legions. The Valedictors(later retconned) and accidentally the Iron Hearts(Primarch Rubinek). If you're going down this road you'd probably be better off starting with what GW let slip (even if they didn't mean to).

Rule One: To try and fill in the lost Legions is to create a cliché of the most *facepalm* type, no matter how well done.

Tip:Games Workshop has named the two lost Legions. The Valedictors(later retconned) and accidentally the Iron Hearts(Primarch Rubinek). If you're going down this road you'd probably be better off starting with what GW let slip (even if they didn't mean to).

Neither of those Legions are established fluff, because obviously GW didn't want them to be the two lost legions, leaving it up to the players. This is MY take on the two legions, with a backstory and theme that fits my tastes, if you think its cliched, then that's ok, I'm not asking you to like them.

For a future heads up, the Sons of Terra and the Emerald Blades are going to be based on medieval Britain, which I dont really see as represented so much in the current legions to degrees as I think they should.

Medieval British? Dark Angels and Black Templar.....

Those aren't strictly British, most of Europe took part in Crusades. When I say British, I dont mean only England, Ireland and Scotland also. Don't worry, these guys aren't gonna be carbon copies of other Legions, the Sons of Terra will have similarities to the other Legions, but will have many unique aspects. The Emerald Blades will be something particularly new, the most similar Legion being the Space Wolves.

Without giving anything away, there is a name going to be coming out of the woodwork at some point, and its not either of the names you have mentioned Emperor's Champion.

I know this is an annoying thing to do on my part, but I don't really like it when someones enthusiastic attempt at fan fiction is rubbished and then information (which is based on a fairly weak premise if I were to be honest) is posted in its stead.

The purpose of the lost legions is (according to GW) inspire players to come up with their own.

The Valedictors were Andy Chambers' personal army, IIRC. I also recall that they were provided as an example of what you can do with the Lost Legion concept.

The Iron Hearts were mentioned in one Black Library short story.

I'd say the Lost Legions are still open for business.

That said, it's probably not a good idea to do them in any case, simply because it's hard to do them well.

The Valedictors were Andy Chambers' personal army, IIRC. I also recall that they were provided as an example of what you can do with the Lost Legion concept.

The Iron Hearts were mentioned in one Black Library short story.

I'd say the Lost Legions are still open for business.

That said, it's probably not a good idea to do them in any case, simply because it's hard to do them well.

I have to agree. GW has not closed the door on the missing legions. Lots of players have ideas of what they want them to be, and thats part of the beauty. It will be a shame if GW ever answers the question.

Deep in the forests of Dalradia, a seeress walked among nature. A young woman, the beautiful bride of a Clan chieftain, was a witch, a sorceress, a druid. She had many titles, and many whispered about her powers. All of these names pointed to one thing, her powers. She was able to divine the future, sense the souls of others and many, more dangerous magics. Her husband was named Malchomme Greensword, the ruler of aptly named Greensword Clan. The Greenswords ruled over a large territory bordering directly with the wastelands. It was a deeply wooded area, with a few rising headlands to the western borders. To the east, the forests ended abruptly, not even the trees dared to venture into the wasteland. The Greenswords were a hardy people, years of war with the barbarians tempering them into jagged edged weapons ready to defend their home at a moments notice. In the recent years, barbarian raids had become sporadic, becoming less frequent. Many of the Greenswords rejoiced, believing, that perhaps, the fighting may stop. But, Malchomme and his elder council did not trust the quiet as the others did so readily. He called forth the other Clan chieftains to discuss the lack of activity of late.

They argued for days without deliberation, some men called for expedition into the wasteland, while others said the men guarding the borders should go back home and live their lives. All the while, Malchommes bride sat in the corner, silent as a ghost. After hearing enough, the seeress stood and told all to be silent. A brash young chieftain stood and demanded who the woman was, and why she was at a chieftains meeting. Malchomme stood, ready to challenge the other man, but his bride soothed him and spoke. She said her name was Ellerslye, and spoke of her gift. She offered the men that she would venture into the forest alone and commune with nature and see what words it had to offer. Many of the men passed her off as a simple conjurer and trickster. But some of the older chieftains, who had seen the foul magics of "Kaos", held belief that nature was a bulwark against the evil, and agreed.

So, Ellerslye bid farewell to her husband and ventured into the woods. She walked for days, communing with the spirits of the woods, with the animals and saw many things. The trees seemed to whisper to her, guide her, and so she followed. Ellerslye had no fear of what was to come, she had spoken with nature her whole life, and she knew it would not trick or endanger her. Eventually, she came to a pond as clear as glass. She knelt by the water and drank deeply. A rustling tore her gaze from the water, and what she saw amazed her, something which had not happened in years. A massive black wolf stepped out into the clearing, its ears perked up in amusement and golden eyes shining with interest. It was not the wolf that amazed her, but what road it. A boy was perched upon the wolf, green eyes reflecting intelligence beyond his years and messy crimson hair belying mischief. A raven as black as night was perched on his shoulder, and flicked its beak about, seemingly uninterested in the scene. And in his hand, was a snake, limp and broken. The boys freckled brow was fixed in a scowl. He growled at Ellerslye, when she stumbled back in surprise, he erupted in laughter. The wolf howled, and the raven cawed. Regaining her composure, Ellerslye knew she had found her answer.

The Valedictors were Andy Chambers' personal army, IIRC.

If anything outside of officially official triplicate approved fluff was to be considered official, it'd be the Overfiend's.

and if we can believe Lexicanum, that's seemingly not the case:

Originally a First Founding Chapter which saw action on the Eastern Fringe against Orks, Eldar, and traitors during the Horus Heresy. They were described in detail in two Epic articles in White Dwarf magazines 126 and 136, circa 1990-91. The status of the Valedictors changed in White Dwarf 235, where they are said to be of a "later founding," (post-Second Founding). Therefore, in the most recent canon literature, the Valedictors are no longer a First Founding Chapter.

Regardless of any later retcon or if it was an accident, the Iron Hearts and Valedictors will trump anything else claiming to be a Lost Legion until such time that GW declares a more official name.

Regardless of any later retcon or if it was an accident, the Iron Hearts and Valedictors will trump anything else claiming to be a Lost Legion until such time that GW declares a more official name.

And I'm just pointing out how weak their claims are.

And by that standard, the Ultramarines are a Third Founding Chapter. After all, originally they were... The First Founding stuff is a retcon.

I think we're well past the point of 3rd Foundingness being outweighed by 1st Foundingness ;)

Until GW gives us new fluff that overwrites the Iron Hearts and Valedictors they've got the most official claim to the Lost Legion titles that there is.

Guest Mordray

I could be wrong on this... but I'm fairly sure I'm not...

I recall reading in another thread long ago that the Iron Hearts had mention of a Primarch Rubinek during the story. The author has since recanted that claim as he at the time of writing the story had mistakenly believed that all Chapters had a Primarch unique to them.

... now it's been a while so I could be wrong on this but that to me takes the Iron Hearts out of the race as their creator has overruled their claim.

On a more important note... can we please move this discussion to another thread and allow Brother Captain Alaric to do as he will in relative peace?

I could be wrong on this... but I'm fairly sure I'm not...

I recall reading in another thread long ago that the Iron Hearts had mention of a Primarch Rubinek during the story. The author has since recanted that claim as he at the time of writing the story had mistakenly believed that all Chapters had a Primarch unique to them.

... now it's been a while so I could be wrong on this but that to me takes the Iron Hearts out of the race as their creator has overruled their claim.

On a more important note... can we please move this discussion to another thread and allow Brother Captain Alaric to do as he will in relative peace?

Thank you :teehee:. I dont let things like this worry me though, until GW announces who and what the other two legions are, its my belief its the fans duty to fill them in. So I'm making my own spin on them, whether or not they're "cliched". It matters not because I'm enjoying it, and if I dont have everyone frothing at the mouth, I think I'll continue.. I have a large creative writing portfolio due on Wednesday, so dont expect an update until later. I'm considering throwing this in for fun XD.

The Iron Hearts are not, and never will be first founding. They were mentioned in one Black Library article and the author admitted 'Rubinek' was meant to be their Chapter Master, and he made a mistake by writing Primarch.

That was when BL was in its infancy and was not even canon then.

As for the Valedictors, they were mentioned as being first founding in the Epic Space Marine rulebook, but as posted above it was retconned.

Carry on Brother Captian Alaric ;)

Brother that is a rule fanboys made up. It is kin to anime must be watched in subtiles. GW leaves them open for this reason and i want to see where its going.

pShhh those fanboys are weak!!!!!

Anime should be watched In Japanese and you should learn Japanese and learn about Japanese culture... Otherwise stuff is lost in translation however good :'( however failing that subs or dubs are then fine :P

On topic looking good so far except that one of the lost legion = The sons of Kryptos lead by Primarch Klark Cent and the other is lead by a female primarch :Elite: just kidding looking forward to more.

I'm well aware.

And recant/retcon or not, they're still the most official we have.

Yes. The most official we have is that there are two "records lost" legions. Any potential the "Valedictors" and the "Iron Hearts" had was wiped off the planet, and there are two holes that remain. Four books have made that clear to me. Codex: Space Marines(3), Codex: Space Marines(4), Insignium Astartes and Codex: Space Marines(5).

How's this, Champ? I KNOW I have seen a note next to the First Founding "Chapter tree" that says the Lost Legions are there for people to make up their own Legions/chapters/primarchs/cheese, so let the guy do his writing here and complain somewhere else, lest I get my Fluff Nazi banishment staff!

Archived