Things that I would have done differently

Valerian

:lol:

I have no problem with Bjorn throwing his might around on the battlefield, I just think it would be stupid to take someone as important as him, lock him in a little metal ball and let him free-fall to the battlezone.

Sure, Drop Pods can zip through AA like nothing, but there's too much potential for things to go wrong anyway, which is something that happens with machines now and then. Added to the fact that he is so important, the SW commanders probably engineer their battleplans to keep him away from the thickest fighting, because if Bjorn suddenly becomes a liability, then the entire operation could be messed up, because you can't just leave him stranded there.

:lol:

I have no problem with Bjorn throwing his might around on the battlefield, I just think it would be stupid to take someone as important as him, lock him in a little metal ball and let him free-fall to the battlezone.

Sure, Drop Pods can zip through AA like nothing, but there's too much potential for things to go wrong anyway, which is something that happens with machines now and then. Added to the fact that he is so important, the SW commanders probably engineer their battleplans to keep him away from the thickest fighting, because if Bjorn suddenly becomes a liability, then the entire operation could be messed up, because you can't just leave him stranded there.

Keep Bjorn from the thickest of the fighting? Yeah try convincing Bjorn of that, or do you suppose they would try to trick the Ancient Tactician into going somewhere other than the decisive point of the battle?

Where is the fluff to backup your claim that Drop Pods aren't reliable? I certainly haven't read it, and with Inertial Guidance coupled with their high-velocity approach, they are the safest way to deploy.

V

Not to mention all the blanks shot out with them.... *shrugs*

I think it was just something done because the other felt it appropriate. Nothing more or less than their opinion on the subject.

I disagree that Bjorn isnt just as useful trooping it as he would be podding. I also agree that podding in is dangerous- but not for the trip, for the meltaguns that seem to be attracted to DP units :lol:.

He is expensive.... and I think hes worth it.

Frankly though, what peeves me a little is that sometimes its actually a more viable tactic to let the ol man get shot and killed than it is to keep him alive.

Not to mention all the blanks shot out with them.... *shrugs*

I think it was just something done because the other felt it appropriate. Nothing more or less than their opinion on the subject.

I disagree that Bjorn isnt just as useful trooping it as he would be podding. I also agree that podding in is dangerous- but not for the trip, for the meltaguns that seem to be attracted to DP units ;).

He is expensive.... and I think hes worth it.

Frankly though, what peeves me a little is that sometimes its actually a more viable tactic to let the ol man get shot and killed than it is to keep him alive.

And we are getting off topic anyway; the point of the thread isn't me trying to justify giving Bjorn a Pod. I want people to let everyone know what they would have done differently with the codex.

Well other than that... I would have kept 2 SCCWs in the BC squad, the second opening up at 11+ much like someone stated earlier.

12 Strong DPs, with an increased price... sure.

Clarification on the FW wargear.

Clarification on the HQs inability to duplicate.

I would have made Saga of the Ironwolf an optional upgrade for Landraiders, not Ironpriests.

I would have allowed WG to join Skyclaws.

Mark of the Wulfen would NOT be available in troops units. 13nth Co would have an appendix list instead. The Mark is supposed to be dreaded. If playtesting showed it to be balanced, I would have called it "Wolfbitten" instead at the least.

Lone Wolves would give the controlling player a KP for dying.

Bjorn would be a walking Objective... instead of just one as a dead man. Its horrible that alot of the time hes worth more dead than alive!

And PA WG with the same equipment as TDA WG would not be equal points. Im not sure how to fix that one though, so Ill bow to PKs knowhow here until I do.

Edit: Oh, and 10 man scout squads dont seem right to me.... powerful, cool to use, but they dont seem right.

Where is the fluff to backup your claim that Drop Pods aren't reliable? I certainly haven't read it, and with Inertial Guidance coupled with their high-velocity approach, they are the safest way to deploy.

V

If there's anything I have learned, it's that no matter how simple the machine, or how dedicated its mechanic, stuff breaks down. Things happen, parts are defective, who knows what. Maybe the guidance computer has a glitch, perhaps the fuel line has degraded. Anything that can go wrong, will, all it takes is time. Iron Priests are superb, but fate has its ways.

Well other than that... I would have kept 2 SCCWs in the BC squad, the second opening up at 11+ much like someone stated earlier.

Yeah, somebody else mentioned that and I wholeheartedly agree; would make Blood Claws a little more worthwhile than they are this time. They went from 3 SCCWs in the last codex down to 1 in this version; I'd say the balance is right in the middle with 2.

12 Strong DPs, with an increased price... sure.

Increased capability should come with increased price, no problem with that line of thinking.

Clarification on the FW wargear.

Yep; there has been too much debate on this one, definitely could have used an example.

Clarification on the HQs inability to duplicate.

Same here, for sure; even that guy in the White Dwarf article (Robin Cruddach, I think) thought it applied to Wolf Guard, too.

I would have made Saga of the Ironwolf an optional upgrade for Landraiders, not Ironpriests.

Hey, that would have been good. I wouldn't have thought of that, but the Machine Spirits of Landraiders are often written as having their own personalities, as well as unique histories, why not their own Sagas?

I would have allowed WG to join Skyclaws.

Yep

Mark of the Wulfen would NOT be available in troops units. 13nth Co would have an appendix list instead. The Mark is supposed to be dreaded. If playtesting showed it to be balanced, I would have called it "Wolfbitten" instead at the least.

This isn't a biggie to me, as I don't consider the Mark of the Wulfen to be the same thing as a guy who is turning to Wulfen. To make old 13th company players happy, however, they could have named it Berzerker Rage, or something similar, and given it the backstory that every now and then a Space Wolves guy pops up in a pack who is a little wilder in battle. For those of you who haven't seen it, check out the Berserker in "Erik the Viking", movie from some time in the 1980's, with Tim Robbins; it ought to motivate you!

Lone Wolves would give the controlling player a KP for dying.

That would be an good way to represent the Glorious Death rule.

Bjorn would be a walking Objective... instead of just one as a dead man. Its horrible that alot of the time hes worth more dead than alive!

That would work, too. Why do you say he's worth more dead than alive sometimes, is it just when you need another Objective nearby to control, if you can't get to the others?

And PA WG with the same equipment as TDA WG would not be equal points. Im not sure how to fix that one though, so Ill bow to PKs knowhow here until I do.

Yeah, that does work out to be a little odd, but I am not too bothered by it. I just put all of the Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour and call it good.

Edit: Oh, and 10 man scout squads dont seem right to me.... powerful, cool to use, but they dont seem right.

I can see your point here. Fluff-wise it probably would have been better to leave them at the old cap of 6.

V

I mean, with Bjorn and Capture and Control scenarios- there is only two objectives. If he dies, on the defensive, the SW player should be able to just walk over, take the objective, and say "I win :evil:".

And that... thats not right.

I would've given ALL HQ characters Initiative 5 and 3 wounds, and Logan 4 wounds. Right now wolves' HQ is laughably overpriced and paper-thin. I found that this is a major frustration point for me now, I'm just about to throw in the towel TBH.

I would also make the WG pack leader count towards the model count needed to get the second special weapon.

I would have left out Logan's ability to take WG as troops. Everyone has a way to get elites as troops these days. Rather, I would gave given Ragnar the ability to take all forms of BCs as troops, made GHs Elites for him, and not allowed an army with Ragnar to take squads of WG at all (i.e. all WG must be attached to other squads). I think this would have been more interesting than just another "wing" army.

@ wildfire- grey hunters are the core of any great company, to force someone to take a max of only 3 squads, thus losing out on dreads, scouts and WG would be ridiculous and no one would take ragnar. he may be closer to bloodclaws in terms of his rage but bloodclaws (or variants of) as your only troops choice means you are playing a better armoured IG army without the support vehicles. it would never work. im personally surprised that they didnt go down the ork route and let any wolf lord take one unit of WG as troops, i really did expect something like that.

@ olgerth, are you serious, you want our support characters to be equeral to most other armies captains/front line leaders. that would never happen. wolves are no where near as overpriced as they used to be, sure a wolf lord can rack up in points but with sagas you gain abiloties normally only available to special characters (eternal warrior for instance). combined with a points reduction to our basic infantry (grey hunter, 150pts for 10 men, 2 spec weapons, 2 cc weapons, bolter and frag/krak grenades) plus our now very cheap long fangs i would say they have balanced outthe cost of characters vs troops very well.

i think aside from a couple of clarifications and maybe giving bloodclaws a second close combat weapon rather than special weapon there isn't too much ui would change. im very happy with the codex, especially after hoping for 2 years now that the new one wouldnt ruin an army i love. it could have been a whole lot worse guys, be thankfull we didnt get the DA treatment

I disagree. I for one would have loved a bloodclaw army with swiftclaw and skyclaw troops. Irrelevant, since they didn't do it, but every army and his mother gets the toughest guys in his 'dex as troops these days. I just wanna see something different and interesting.

Archived