Quick And Easy Guide To Perfect Pinning

Hi there guys, some of you may have seen this guide I did for the old Black Templars forum or on CMON (I know as jester on these); but for those that haven't I hope this helps.

One of the things I ALWAYS do is pin joints when dealing with resin or metal, as these materials just don't bond like styrene plastic does. If you miss this step out, you paint a beautiful model, a slight knock later and the arm falls off. Not good!

I'm sure all you hobbyists have seen and used the GW technique where put red paint on a short pin and push the parts together to mark the other side, yes??

Anyway I always found this to be time consuming and not always very accurate, so over time I developed my own way of marking joins to be pinned.

I've detailed it below, it's quick & easy so I hope you find it helpful ;)

The photo shows this technique being used on a large joint, to make life easier; but it'll work just as well on small joints like arms and heads even.

1) Obviously you'll need a hole drilled in one piece first.

2) Next roll tiny ball of "blue-tack"; work this round and round til it's very sticky.

3) Apply a special non-stick liquid release agent (that's spit to you and me :P ) on and all around the hole.

4) gently apply the tack ball to the hole; if you're careful the surface tension of the spit will hold it in place, if not you'll just have to hold the piece with the tack on top.

5) carefully push your two pieces together and press joint very firmly.

6) As you pull the join apart you'll see that the tack has stuck to the other part, leaving a squidge of tack with a little knob sticking out where the opposing hole is; whilst your spit has stopped it sticking to the first one.

7) Use your pin-vice with a tiny drill bit to push though the middle of this little knob and drill into the second part; just go a little way in just to mark it, you can then peel off the tack and any swarf material and bin it.

8] Now you have a guide hole, you can drill out the hole to match the size of your pin; just remember to drill in the same direction as the hole in the first part and you'll get a purfect pinned join every time.

http://darkstarpainting.co.uk/assets/forum/PIN_GUIDE1.jpg

Have fun trying this out

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived