Lamenters Chapter Log

IronDuke

And then there were 5 - I have a painted troop choice, woo!

gallery_40962_4221_217109.jpg

I have spent quite a lot of time organising my minis this weekend, so not a lot of painting. And now, I kind of wish I hadn't - there seems to be a hell of a lot more than I realised...here are the marines I have got to finish stripping and get painting

gallery_40962_4221_266871.jpg

gallery_40962_4221_307637.jpg

gallery_40962_4221_211747.jpg

Does anyone have any idea on how to convert the old metal ccw scouts to wield boltguns? I have a load of them but would rather they weren't decked out for close combat...

C+C welcome, cheers!

So far I have been using Fairy Power Spray - it works a dream on metal, but so far have been having mixed results on plastics...

If I stripped my minis every time I saw a new chapter I liked I would never have any painted maines :)

I have had a quick look at your wip and I like the colour scheme and the posing of your models :)

Haha, aye, i've painted a bucket load of marines since that WIP but i've not got a camera anymore to put up pictures. Nothings every caught me, I hate painting yellow until I saw these Lamenters! Problem i have is all my models are plastic.

I've re-posed and converted all the commanding units from AoBR coz I despise those models :tu:

Right, I have been getting distracted again, so very little progress, but I have one new picture of the work I have done on Sergeant Bhaine. Also, some work on the squads multi melta marine.

gallery_40962_4221_162065.jpg

I have also been messing around with my version of the chapters fluff, which I will hopefully get up in the Liber soon, although I think my old version is still floating around here somewhere.

Cheers!

Edit: Forgot I had been working on two other sergeants, here are some pics of the builds

gallery_40962_4221_97205.jpg

Sergeant Durchmeid with what is shaping up to be a mahoosive stormbolter

gallery_40962_4221_204181.jpg

Sergeant Simnel, with messy shoulder pad wip

Cheers for the kind words Fire Lord, I will keep an eye out for your Scouts ;)

Since I am nearing 5 painted men for my tactical squad, I am finishing assembling my devestator squad, so they will be ready to go.

Without further ado, the recently renamed Sergeant Horsfall with squad:

gallery_40962_4221_93997.jpg

I have also posted some fluff in the Liber if anyone is interested Index Astartes: Lamenters

Cheers all!

• 1 month later...

Triple post?! Ho hum. Right, I am resurrecting this thread, with very little extra to show. However I have finally settled on some shoulder pads I am relatively happy with, and wanted some opinions before I start slapping the paint on....as I have decided to make a pledge in the LPC

I, IronDuke of the Index Astartes, vow on the honour of my Chapter to paint and present at least 6 scouts and 5 tactical marines on or before the 31st of March, 2010. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

gallery_40962_4221_44259.jpg

A very rough test for the chapter badge, my main concern is the heart is too chunky. I really would appreciate some input and outsider views before it gets put on all my tactical marines.

gallery_40962_4221_83864.jpg

gallery_40962_4221_113831.jpg

Front and back of the second part of the combat squad, once more opinions on the shoulder pads please

gallery_40962_4221_96933.jpg

Last but not least, second scout squad, they are 'armless, honest!

Hopefully someone may have something to say, even if it is trashing my minis, as I don't think I can bring myself to quad post :P

I'm glad to see this thread back up and running. I've enjoyed seeing the progress so far. As far as your questions about the shoulder pads, I'll start with the tactical symbols. They look pretty good as bare greenstuff so they will probably look great with paint. I think this is pretty common with greenstuff.

I agree the chapter symbol looks a bit chunky. I'm assuming you sculpted it out of GS also, correct? Looking straight down on the symbol looks great. When you look at it from the side, it sticks out a lot. I would try to make it so that the background circle so that it is just a sliver on the shoulder pad, so the heart doesn't stick out to much farther then the rims of the shoulder pads. Hope this isn't to critical.

Love the use of the OOP legion of the damned sergeant by the way.

Really like these marines. The chapter symbol is a tad bit too chunky, but that's alright. I'd suggest lowering it a bit more. I really like your sculpted tactical arrows, and the fact that every marine has a blade: something I will be wanting to achieve!

Thanks for the kind words you two, and for the criticism. I would far rather people gave constructive feedback rather than said nothing at all :P

I have been trying to slim down the chapter badge with relative success, but have no pictures to show just yet...

When my painting skills get better I hope to freehand details on each marine to individualise them a bit more.

As for current painting progress, just a small development with the scouts.

gallery_40962_4221_236140.jpg

The scout on the right shows the actual colours the best, for some reason the others haven't come up too well!

I am contemplating either adding a bit of camo to the cloaks, or just adding an extra layer of highlights. Opinions as to what would look best please?!

Cheers

A camo scheme based off of the brown you currently have would look sweet. On the other hand, the cloaks look good as is. The brown you came up with looks nice and smooth. I don't see any problem leaving them as is.

Slow and steady wins the race. Or is just slow.

gallery_40962_4221_239202.jpg

gallery_40962_4221_232506.jpg

Thanks for the feedback The Damned and Capt. Lysander :cuss

For the moment I have left the cloaks brown, until I decide on a groovy camo pattern.

On a side note, I hate these plastic scout kits! They are a pain in the ass to put together and the number of ways you can put them together is very limited. I am going to have a mess around and see if there is a way to convert some of the older metal scouts to look good.

If anyone has some feedback, please let me know!

Cheers, ID

Cheers Capt. Lysander :D

Right, when I first saw the space puppies box the first thing that jumped out at me was the two handed axe. Now I love banners and pennants, and I want every infantry squad to have one to wave around, and I thought the axe was the perfect starting point.

I just managed to get my mitts on a sprue and here is what I have after 10 minutes; let me know what you think!

gallery_40962_4221_262556.jpg

This is a very wip rush job as I wanted to post it before the rugby kicks off :D

Cheers for all input, ID

Made some slight progress with my vow, all 6 snipers are now painted, though only 5 are based. Here are the 5 that have been based, the last man will have to wait for now.

gallery_40962_4221_351322.jpg

gallery_40962_4221_171932.jpg

Time to start thinking about an HQ choice and perhaps a Telion counts as. ^_^

Any C+C welcome!

ID

Right, I havemade some progress with painting the tac squad for the lpc, but no pictures as yet. I have started throwing together a captain however so the army could legally be fielded, and here is the current kitbash:

gallery_40962_4221_13929.jpg

I wanted something a bit different to the standard sword in one hand and gun in the other, so went with this. The sword will make it onto the back/hip at some point, and I am looking at some way for the shield to be attached to his left forearm. ( I realise this isn't a legal loadout, the shield is just there for looks). When it gets attached there will be more cables running from the backpack into the back of the torso, and perhaps one to the rear of the helmet. The spacewolf iconography will be taking off the leg, though the teeth will be left (tyranid teeth!)

And a bit of fluff;

Brother Captain Cephas first made a name for himself during the Badab War, when the Lamenters fleet was attacked by marines of the Minotaur chapter. Then only a sergeant in the 5th company, Cephas defended the bridge of the Lamenter's flagship with only a handful of marines and chapter serfs by creating bottle necks and employing extremely disciplined fire control. Since then his rise has been nothing less than meteoric. In the years after the Badab War, Cephas was promoted to the First Company and served in the sternguard, honing his already formidable skills with the boltgun. By the time the Lamenters came into conflict with Hive Fleet Kraken, Cephas was the Captain of the 7th company. He lead numerous raids into tyranid hive ships, where he developed a strong affiliation with flame weapons.

He has gained recognition throughout the Lamenters as being unrivalled in close firefight situations, normally deploying from his drop pod in the midst of enemy lines and burning the foe out. He is invariably supported by a command squad kitted out with a combination of flamers and storm shields, and fights in tandem with the chapters sternguard.

Some advise for your chapter badges. Since the heart symbol should be extremely easy to find, check out a craft store and look in the scrapbooking isles for a punch. Get thin sheets of plasticard and punch a whole bunch out. If you dip the hearts in some hot water they will be flexible enough to bend around the shoulder pad. I'm trying to do something similar for my chapter except I made one out of plasticard and then made a cast of it.

Thanks for the suggestion Marius. I have been looking at some of the stores websites and the smallest heart shaped punch I can find is for about 7mm, which I think maybe a bit big. I will head out later in the week to check it out though.

I have been tampering with where to place the captains power sword and I am starting to think that the BT blade may be a bit big... I did however stumble across a scout blade that looks fairly brutal. With some modifying I think it could make quite a cool power weapon, and is more in keeping with the fluff of a captain who likes his fighting to be up close and personal.

Anyway, here is a size comparison between the two blades slung under his powerpack

gallery_40962_4221_41371.jpg

Feedback craved!

ID

I prefer the Black Templar blade myself. Perhaps you could incorporate the Scout blade by having it strapped to his leg? It'd look really cool and add some weight the model.

Having been working on my Lamenters for a few weeks now, your Chapter Log has inspired me to work faster on my 4th Company, getting them even more ready for battle.

Also, I do not mean to thread-jack, but does anyone know when the red helmet stripe on the Lamenters came to be? The Badab War perhaps? Is it actually part of their background and paint scheme, or have people just been doing it for the hell of it?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. At the moment I am swaying towards the scout blade, though I may try it on the leg. I think this may make the model look a bit cluttered though.

With regards to the helmet stripe mega_marines, as with all the Lamenters fluff its all a bit contradictory.

Way back when in the Rogue Trader era they are shown in a feature on the Badab War as having the red helmet stripe, although many marine colour schemes have changed since then. More recently though in How to paint Space Marines 2004 they are shown as not having the helmet stripe...go figure.

I am personally going to use the red helmet stripe to personalise certain marines/designate veterans. Some marines may well also get a full red helmet or red with yellow stripes, just to spice things up a bit.

The background is ambiguous enough for you to go whichever way you want in all honesty :)

Cheers, ID

Archived