Of Nihm and Night Lords

Brother Nihm

gallery_11038_549_25699.jpg

Yes, I think very dark red is a good option for the robes.

I also think the BTJ has a point about the helmet - akthough I don't know what else you could do other than metallics, and that might look a bit obvious..?

That aside, it's looking great so far :D

He's looking really nice! I think that red is probably the only colour you could use to contrast the blue, without going for a bleached bone sort of colour, (I'm assuming you want to keep it dark, and Night Lordy :) ) I don't know whether a bit of extreme highlighting on his helmet blades/horns might break up the blue. Having said that it might also make it look like he's wearing head-torches. :angry:

I love your Night Lords by the way, been lurking your blog!

@Bigger-than-Jesus & firestorm40k

Noted with thanks. Please see my new idea below.

He's looking really nice! I think that red is probably the only colour you could use to contrast the blue, without going for a bleached bone sort of colour, (I'm assuming you want to keep it dark, and Night Lordy :P )
That is the plan.

I don't know whether a bit of extreme highlighting on his helmet blades/horns might break up the blue.
I tried that (traces of it can still be seen) but I decided against it.

Having said that it might also make it look like he's wearing head-torches. :P
That was the deciding factor against it. :P

I love your Night Lords by the way, been lurking your blog!
Thank you, yours are wicked.

OK, so, here is my suggestion on how to break things up a bit. Imagine that his robe is a deep red.

Note: this is 2 minutes of Photoshop, not actual paint.

gallery_11038_657_24451.jpg

Better? worse? go suck a duck?

The skull helps, but still doesn't get rid of the flat blue. Maybe try a bit of simple gold edging? That wouldnt be too out of place would it? I wouldn't do red robes. Red and blue isnt the best combo and given the chapter symbol will also be red and blue it'll start to compile. The majority of the model should be blue, or neutral to not detract from the blue.

How opposed are you to Black robes?

Hi Nihm,

It's all coming together nicely. I would suggest lightning bolts to break up the blue helmet, probably only on the helmet 'ears' though. (not that they look like ears, but I couldn't think what else to call them!) Nice, crisp and sharp white bolts would do the trick.

James

Thank you, yours are wicked.

OK, so, here is my suggestion on how to break things up a bit. Imagine that his robe is a deep red.

Note: this is 2 minutes of Photoshop, not actual paint.

gallery_11038_657_24451.jpg

Better? worse? go suck a duck?

I like that, a LOT. the nice thing is, if I recall correctly, this model's head is quite large, so you could really go to town on the skull and do it in a lot of detail.

Marshal2 Crusaders actually made a good point, black robes might actually look really good, and then the blue would seem a 'colder' tone than against the red, which can lend a warmness to it.

Hope any of this helps! :woot:

*appears from the shadows*

I think the skull face would look good. Maybe though you could try something similar to Uzas had in SH A bloody hand print.. Or you could make it a skull with a third eye. Or you could make a red skull and change the colours of the robes.

Damn you. ADB, Dan the Daemon.. everyone is making me want to convert to the the Night Lords. (I friend of mine use to collect them some time ago so I never did.)

Also BTW the rune you gave your Talos commission is nice. I have been trying to think of one, yet cannot better such simple elegance. bah.

*returns to the shadows*

I say paint his "ears" like lightning rods.

I was thinking much the same thing actually- with perhaps some carved bits of clear sprue- from a flying base- to connect the two, slightly highlighted in a light blue...

And Id say glowing sigils around the trim areas of the robe would make it pop a bit.

I would suggest lightning bolts to break up the blue helmet, probably only on the helmet 'ears' though. Nice, crisp and sharp white bolts would do the trick.

I agree with James.

Really like how the sorceror is coming along. I find that your use of Dark Eldar blades is also a great idea, one that I may have to pinch :rolleyes:

Ludovic

The skull is an ace idea, I'd work with that. Have you thought about adding some fangs under the skull on the 'cheek protectors'? This would make the main part of the helmet mainly white-ish, which will contrast nicelly with the red robes. It will also mean the blue on the bunny ears won't be so overposering as compared to an entire blue helmet.

Personally I'd stick with red robes. It'll give a nice contrast with the blue (although a cold and warm color can clash, so better try it on a test model first), and it'll tie it in with the red on the bat ears of your other marines.

Well Nihm, it may just be me but I say the black robes.... I know its just the basecoat there but it fits doesn't it? Fancy that up a little and it'll be good. Also, I know it won't really break-up the blue so to speak but if you edge those helmet blades in gold it will add some more color and won't look to shabby neither. "Helmet Bling Blades"

=]D[=

What a wealth of suggestions, I cannot thank you guys enough.

Phew, so much to think about. Decisions decisions..

I'll try to answer what I can.

The skull is in, robe colour is undecided, helmet 'blades' are undecided as well.

The skull helps, but still doesn't get rid of the flat blue. Maybe try a bit of simple gold edging? That wouldnt be too out of place would it?
I am not too keen on the idea of gold edges. But I am slowly beginning to see the need for breaking up the blue.

I wouldn't do red robes. Red and blue isnt the best combo and given the chapter symbol will also be red and blue it'll start to compile. The majority of the model should be blue, or neutral to not detract from the blue.
I agree that the majority of normal NL should be blue but, this guy is unique in a way that he's a psyker. At the moment I am leaning towards red robes because the Sorceror has very little red on him as is, the only bit of red on him is the freehand wings of the chapter icon on his shoulderpad.

How opposed are you to Black robes?
That is a great idea, one that I need to mull over, maybe with some white/bone coloured freehand patterns (suggested elsewhere). I do fear that black highlighted robes would end up being too plain. He is intended as a sort of centrepiece model after all.

Hi Nihm,

It's all coming together nicely. I would suggest lightning bolts to break up the blue helmet, probably only on the helmet 'ears' though. (not that they look like ears, but I couldn't think what else to call them!) Nice, crisp and sharp white bolts would do the trick.

James

I thought about doing that initially but how to place them?

Top down would look a bit silly and I shaved off the 'power nodes' so it can end up looking odd very quickly. Suggestions are welcome as I cannot think of anything doable.

I think the skull face would look good. Maybe though you could try something similar to Uzas had in SH A bloody hand print.. Or you could make it a skull with a third eye. Or you could make a red skull and change the colours of the robes.
Ooh a 3-eyed skull, with horns.. *starts to sketch*. That might work.

Also BTW the rune you gave your Talos commission is nice. I have been trying to think of one, yet cannot better such simple elegance. bah.
Those are kind words Sir, thank you!

How about really darkened metal for the ears? The skull does look good however aswell
I am afraid that that would fall into the same category as gold-bladed ears.

As in actual lightning rods? he'd be a warphead, hehe.

I was thinking much the same thing actually- with perhaps some carved bits of clear sprue- from a flying base- to connect the two, slightly highlighted in a light blue...

And Id say glowing sigils around the trim areas of the robe would make it pop a bit.

I am trying to stay away from the retconned fluff and just have the lightning being painted on. As for the sigils I am afraid that all my attempts to blend light colours have ended up being chalky so I fear that is beyond my skills. It is great idea though and I think it would have worked.

The skull is an ace idea, I'd work with that. Have you thought about adding some fangs under the skull on the 'cheek protectors'?

This would make the main part of the helmet mainly white-ish, which will contrast nicelly with the red robes. It will also mean the blue on the bunny ears won't be so overposering as compared to an entire blue helmet.

I tried adding jawbones to the lower edge of the helmet but have so far not been able to make it look good in Photoshop. I'll try some more before going forward.

Personally I'd stick with red robes. It'll give a nice contrast with the blue (although a cold and warm color can clash, so better try it on a test model first), and it'll tie it in with the red on the bat ears of your other marines.
Bat-ears? where?! :P

How about painting a late day sky, on the horns, like a sun set at the bottom, with oranges reds and purples blending into black with stars, very sorcery feeling. I tried it on mine, it compliments blue very nicely.
I agree it would look eldritch, maybe even use the colours seen in the Eye of Terror illustrations (purple, blues, black etc.) but I am pressed for time, I need to decide on something relatively easy and go with it. One for another time definitely.

Well Nihm, it may just be me but I say the black robes.... I know its just the basecoat there but it fits doesn't it? Fancy that up a little and it'll be good. Also, I know it won't really break-up the blue so to speak but if you edge those helmet blades in gold it will add some more color and won't look to shabby neither. "Helmet Bling Blades"

=]D[=

See above. :lol:

Yeah, I think a really dark and deep red will look stunning on the sorceror.

Are those teeth on his backpack greenstuffed?

The teeth are on the pack, it's a pack from the Chaos Possessed sprue, great miniatures unworthy of their tabletop rules.

What the blades need is some sort of design on them. Right now they are very flat, and not that different from the rest of the helmet. This als highlights the fact that the guy is a sorcerer.
Ok Ok! something needs to be done to those ears.. ;)

Thanks again.

What about such a dark red on the robe that it's more like black highlighted with red (possible mix of black/scab red base or something like that, think dried blood)?

• 1 month later...
What about such a dark red on the robe that it's more like black highlighted with red (possible mix of black/scab red base or something like that, think dried blood)?
Good idea, I may go with that.

Maybe you could do a dark green/turquoise robe? It would still keep the 'cool' feel to the model, yet it would also change from the flat blue.

Ludovic

I am using turquoise for something else (as you can see below). But it's a good idea for my Slaanesh warband.

On to the update, as tiny as it may be.

I hope to get at least this model done by the end of the month.

July, update #1

icon22.gif Project: Chaos Terminator Lord

gallery_11038_549_43981.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Loving your metal work on the Lord. My only nitpick: Isn't he a little tan for a Nostraman?
No worries, he is much paler in real life.

ok I'll bite that helm is great, however your sorcerer does look like a night lord with a batman helmet :down:
Blasphemy!

Nihm -- I'm having fun seeing ya rollin on another project. Always digged your stuff. Keep pluggin away, man. :)
Plugging being the key word. :P

In other news, the Terminator Lord is done and you can see him in the Hall of Honour, link

Archived