Heralds!

Corpse.

New buddy to the 40k gaming group, ex gears of war junkie that got turned onto Doom3 went into 40k after dabbling in warmachine for a while. (See why later)

He always went on how he liked using heroic types and not supreme monsters to lead his army into battle. He told everyone he wanted to run multiple mono-god lists with a herald in each huge unit of 20 daemons. Well we all thought he would fizzle out of this idea and drown into the meta of our usual daemon tactics.

We were very wrong. Heralds added the punch to each of his units that made us reconsider daemon tactics. Because they all come with eternal warrior, and in large units that get most of the enemy in B2B contact leaves very few models to strike at the character inside the unit.

If that wasn't enough, he pulled to some extremes with it. His khorne units of 20, he has his heralds on juggernaughts with unholy might and fury of khorne+blessing of khorne. This stomps all dreadnoughts he takes on, cutting out one of the utter most extreme weaknesses of a bloodletter unit. On top of being anti-mind war.

The tzeentch one I dabbled with a fair bit, but not to this extreme. The fella took 4 of them all with boon of mutation+bolt. This turned out horrible results against certain armies that tried to pin down his 80 horrors, he would charge everything into what usually was a hurt unit and annihilate them/turn them into spawns and kept up the carnage.

Slaanesh one was next and with four transfixing gazes in a single unit it toppled everything added in the three princes he used for another 3 gazes for a total of -7 attacks! That made his army very very durable in a way that was unforseen by everyone. He would mob down a unit, use his horribly high initiative to remove half or more models of the enemy, and then remove -4 or more attacks in that round to prevent casualties. Then he would outrun them with his initiative, half the time he never had to roll for it! It was terrible.

I'm considering using my heralds on foot again. Already using chariots and greater daemons. I suppose it wouldnt hurt would it?

Sounds interesting for sure. Horde Demons could be fun. How many points was his lists, and did you say 4 heralds into 4 squads of troops numbering 20 each? Also has he experimented with combining any of the gods with this tactic?

I've mentioned this a few times. A supped up Khorne herald makes dreads almost a non issue a tezzench herald can spawn spawn a char, and after that fails can get buzy with soul devouerer. Idk if any other non named unit can insta-gank twice in one turn.

Sucking attacks out of a unit rocks, dont forget to hit and run!

In some cases the Herald loses the Independent Character ability in favor of other ones, which eliminates it from joining a squad. How did your associate reconcile this when his Juggernaut based herald (now with Furious Charge, i believe, rule book not here) join a squad if he no longer was an Independent Character?

OK, demon owners manual in hand...

Righto, Captain Malachi. I was thinking of he Chariot not the Juggienaut. My bad.

The Juggie doesn't change the indie chr rule (contrary to my previous guessing post), the Chariot of Khorne drops the Indie Chr rule.

Moo Moo.

I have been toying with the idea of more heralds as well. I have a couple of chariots and for 100 points you really can't go past the slaanesh or khorne ones. I played in a comp recently and got more than a couple of people roll their eyes when I told them how many wounds and attacks the slaanesh one got and it's 105 points (gaze, hit and run and unholy might). I think I would have serious troubles on comp scoring if I took 4 of them in one list.

I have troubles with the idea of the mounted slaanesh ones, for the points I think I would prefer to have fiends over them. I can understand the khorne one goes well with a unit of crushers.

Archived