Space Wolf Lord: Ullr Direfang

Ullr Direfang

OK it might seem weird that i made my own special character space wolf, but i like him(not long before i found out the new 'dex was coming i finished the original, so this is it updated).

Fluff:

Ullr Direfang stood out from the very day he was chosen to join the the Space Wolf ranks. He towered above most of the other aspirants. After his transformation into a Space Wolf, he rivaled the great Wolf Guard Ranulf in size. Another amazing feature, which was discovered when the Rune Priests tested his mental strength, is that he is a blank. Only the greatest Rune Priest could affect his mind or the space around him.

Shortly after becoming a Blood Claw, he was on a training mission, in which he got his name. while on a patrol he came across signs of a fight between some wolves and Ice Trolls. The trolls had killed two of the wolves and Ullr took pity on the three pups that remained, and killed the trolls. Upon arriving back at the Fang, he was greeted by many Wolf Priest asking to see the pups he brought back with him. The were Dire Wolves, thought extincted. Smaller and slower then normal Fenrisian Wolves, yet just as strong and tougher, their main distinguishing feature is longer then normal canines. Having found them Ullr was allowed to care for them, it also earned him the name Direfang.

Ullr served for 25 years before he was promoted to Wolf Guard. During this time the Iron Priest refused to release Ranulf's Terminator Armor for him to use, and modifying a suit to fit him would be impossible. So they constructed him a suit of Runic armor to wear when accompanying his lord. He was also given a power ax to do battle with.

On a reinforcement mission to a Planet near the Eye of Terror, Ullrs company ship "The Spirit of Geri" was attacked by the Thousand Sons and a small amount of other Chaos Space Marines. The Space Wolves on board were caught off guard, and unprepared to repel the attackers. Ullr and his Wolf Lord stopped in the only corridor that lead to the bridge and turn to protect the Navigator, and the crew of the Ship. Once order and line of communications were restored by a Wolf Priest, the Wolf Priest and the remaining Wolf Guard went off to reclaim the ship. When the reached where Ullr was last seen they found the Wolf Lord, his Terminator Armor was nearly shredded, and a plasma blast was noticeable in his breast plate. Ullr's broken power ax was lodged in the head of a red clad Chaos Space Marine. Yet Ullr was now where to be seen. They Wolf Priest fallowed the dead traitors, some of which seemed to have been trying to flee, untill they came across Ullr. Hold a strange hammer, he stormed through a group of Thousand Son warriors, smashing them aside as he went. The Wolf Priest Called to Ullr, having him follow him for the rest of the battle. After the battle and after giving the old Wolf Lord's body to the All Father, the Wolf Priest detailed the events to Logan Grimnar. The Great Wolf, recognizing that Ullr as a great warrior, and knew him to be a capable leader, gave Ullr the company and promoted him to Wolf Lord.

ULLR DIREFANG

Ullr Direfang

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

6 5 4 5 3 5 4 10 2+/4+*

War gear: Bolt Pistol, The Dire Wolf Hammer, Runic Armor, Belt of Russ, Frag Grenades, Melta Bombs, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Saga of the Bear.

Special Rules: And They Shall Know No Fear, Independent Character, Acute Senses, Counter-attack, Blank

Blank: Ullr Direfang is a very unique individual for many reasons; there are very few individuals in the whole universe with his most unique attribute. He is a blank, and warp energies are barely able to affect him or anyone close to him. All psychic powers (including Space wolf and allies) used within 18 inches of Ullr must roll under half the user’s leadership, for the power to work. Also any failed attempts cause Perils of the Warp on a D6 roll of 4+.

The Dire Wolf Hammer: This hammer was a weapon of opportunity when Ullr Direfang was defending the bridge of “The Spirit of Geri” from the Thousand Sons. After being Cleansed by the Rune Priests and re-forged by Iron Priest thought it fitting for the new Wolf Lord, it was named The Dire Wolf Hammer, and named it for Ullr’s Strength. In the game the hammer counts as a one handed weapon, and grants Ullr +D3 Attacks and +2 Strength and it counts as a power weapon. Yet the chaos energy within the hammer still try to effect it’s user, at the start of each assault phase (both player’s) roll a D6 and consult the table below:

Dice Roll: Effect:

6 Ullr Direfang and any unit he has joined, gain an addition +1 attack (this stacks with all other bonuses, two close combat weapons, charging, Mark of the Wulfen, etc.)

5-2 The hammer has no effect on Ullr in any way.

1 The hammer lashes out momentarily, and every model within 2 inches (including Ullr) take a S6 hit with no armor save allowed. This roll of 1 cannot be rerolled in any way.

Dire Wolves: Ullr may be accompanied by two Dire Wolves for +12 points each. Also one unit of Fenrisian Wolves may be taken as Dire Wolves for +2 points per model. Dire Wolves count as beasts, but may only charge 6 inches.

Dire Wolf

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

4 0 4 5 1 4 2 5 6+

I haven't had a chance to play test him yet under the new rules, but he is about 70 points more then what i had him with the old codex. I hope to try him out in the next month or so.

any thoughts?

Blanks already have rules. Example of units that are blanks are pariahs and culexous assasins. The rules that represent this are soulless and psychic abomination. Also an increased chance for perils of the warp is increadably odd, as having a blank nearby would actualy make it MORE difficult for deamons to find you.

Blanks make people uncomfortable just by being nearby, people naturaly distrust and generaly hate blanks for reasions they generaly dont understand, there is just an inherent wrongness to them. For these reasons a blank will not be a leader, as no one would follow them willingly or happily. If he is a blank they would have known IMIDIATELY.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blank

For the hammer though I dont agree with you Grey mage. It gives him 6-8 (4 base +1 for two weapons +1d3) str 6 power weapon attacks attacks at I 5, without the charge. And if you dont join him to a unit rolling a 1 is a esentialy a bonus, you get a 4+ inv save and most of the enemy unit (which will be quite close due to "defenders react") will be killed, any who survive will get slaughtered by his attacks, likely before they can react due to initive. Of course this partly assumes you ment at the start of any combat this guy is involved in, not each asault phase itself. Cus if its the assault phase itself that opens up abuse of puting him in a transport once his wounds get low and having a 2 inch radius of posible death around your landraider, as he and anyone in the transport withhim will not have models within the range, and str 6 cannot hurt a landraider. This is ignoring the ocasional +1 attack from rollling a 6 which with a little luck and a charge (or counter attack) means

For the price, you have 195 points of standard wargear, plus your hammer, the blank rule (of which I think you should eather change the rule to fit the fluff, or change your fluff to fit the rule), +1 toughness. I judge the hammer to be greater than a deamon weapon (signifigantly) and so 45 points, toughness bonus is jessentialy a mark of nurgle so 20 points. so you are at a cost of 260 before the Blank rule.

the blank rules have come up. honestly i forgot about the assassin's rules. i was shooting for something like Jurgen, he kind of inspired my blank rule. i might of over done it though, and was thinking about cutting the distance back.

i guess i should state that i didn't intend the hammer rule to work while in a transport. i was also thinking about making it only for assault phases where he is actually in assault as well. the hammer i think i had at 50 points, i used the demon weapon points and add the 10 for my little bit.

Blank: Ullr Direfang is a very unique individual for many reasons; there are very few individuals in the whole universe with his most unique attribute. He is a blank, and warp energies are barely able to affect him or anyone close to him. All psychic powers (including Space wolf and allies) used within 18 inches of Ullr must roll under half the user’s leadership, for the power to work. Also any failed attempts cause Perils of the Warp on a D6 roll of 4+.

The Dire Wolf Hammer: This hammer was a weapon of opportunity when Ullr Direfang was defending the bridge of “The Spirit of Geri” from the Thousand Sons. After being Cleansed by the Rune Priests and re-forged by Iron Priest thought it fitting for the new Wolf Lord, it was named The Dire Wolf Hammer, and named it for Ullr’s Strength. In the game the hammer counts as a one handed weapon, and grants Ullr +D3 Attacks and +2 Strength and it counts as a power weapon. Yet the chaos energy within the hammer still try to effect it’s user, at the start of each assault phase (both player’s) roll a D6 and consult the table below:

6 Ullr Direfang and any unit he has joined, gain an addition +1 attack (this stacks with all other bonuses, two close combat weapons, charging, Mark of the Wulfen, etc.)

1 The hammer lashes out momentarily, and every model within 2 inches (including Ullr) take a S6 hit with no armor save allowed. This roll of 1 cannot be rerolled in any way.

Ok so some changes I have thought of. after reading up a little on the culexus assassin, and it is a way to change my weapon as well.

Blank: Ullr Direfang is a very unique individual for many reasons; there are very few individuals in the whole universe with his most unique attribute. He is a blank, and warp energies are barely able to affect him or anyone close to him. This is very useful against enemy psychers but it also effects friendly units. Fortunately the Runic armor Ullr wears helps lessen the effects. All psychic tests taken within 6" of Ullr test on a Ld of 7, unless their original would be lower. Also friendly units may become overwhelmed with nausea. All friendly units within 6" of ullr must pass a normal leadership test. If they pass they may act as normal. If they fail, they move as though in difficult terrain, for both normal moving and assaults, and in if they are in combat they only hit the enemy on a 5+ regardless of their weapon skil, unless it would be worse normally. Ullr has been like this his whole life so is unaffected by it's ill effects.

I am once again trying to shoot for a Jurgen like character, so those around him may feel uncomfortable but it also helps lessen psychic powers around him.

The Dire Wolf Hammer: This hammer was a weapon of opportunity when Ullr Direfang was defending the bridge of “The Spirit of Geri” from the Thousand Sons. After being Cleansed by the Rune Priests and re-forged by Iron Priest thought it fitting for the new Wolf Lord, it was named The Dire Wolf Hammer, and named it for Ullr’s Strength. In the game the hammer counts as a one handed weapon, and grants Ullr +D3 Attacks and +2 Strength and it counts as a power weapon. The might of the hammer can seemingly inspire those around it, at the start of each assault phase, were Ullr is involved in an assault (both player's),roll a D6 and consult the table below:

1 Those around Ullr, including Ullr him self, are struck in awe about what how the fight turned out and are caught flat footed. If the combat was won by Ullr and any friendly unit involved in the combat, they are unable to make a sweeping advance and the enemy unit flees as normal. If they are not in combat, there is no effect.

tried to make it seem less harsh. but once again i feel it was the only way i could make it fair. a friend has offered to allow me to play test both versions. another idea for the weapon is to just have it be 1-5 nothing happens, and on a 6 the above happens. idk, i will hopefully figure it out over the next week or two.

These changes are interesting, but for a pacewolf, the blank thing (even filtered as it is) just doesn't fit the 'pack' mentality, I would remove it.

Also, the demon weapon is still too demonic. Plus, as a blank, the weapon would recoil away from him.

It sounds like yopu want a chaos character to be honest.

Archived