The Eye of Terror

Brother Ranuk

but i thought in the warp deamons cant be killed buy meremortals even such as the hive mind

Not sure about that one, In 'Dead Sky, Black Sun' Uriel and Pasanius find the Iron Warriors declaring war on each other and various deamons are killing each other and dying.

I think that happens in the eye of terror, or is it just outside it..... I can't remember.

My 0.02USD.

A distinction should be made that the Eye of Terror is a warp storm. The warp spills over into the Materium which just reduces the amount of energy a daemon has to expend to form a physical body and also allows them to build more powerful bodies that last longer for themselves.

So daemons can still be defeated in the Eye of Terror and sent back to the warp proper, but in the Eye of Terror and all Warp Storms the same, Daemons have the advantage of numbers and strength.

As for what effect Shadow of the Warp might have, I'm curious about that myself. Though theoretically, if the Shadow of the Warp is simply Tyranid Hive Mind traffic, a smart daemon might be able to ride it back to the Hive Mind for a little posession attempt.

Whoa... so many things to comment on.

Actually that brings to another question : how did they manage to travel through Warp at that time? I mean, aren't navigators supposed to be guided by the light of the Astronomican? The fluff clearly states that only the Emperor posess the psychic power to handle such immense energy and direct it across the galaxy. No Astronomican before the Age of Imperium?

Grey mage already hit on the part that they don't 'need' the astronomican. But I would also like to add that it is not powered soley by the Emperor. If it was... how would the Emperor ever leave earth? In the great crusade the Emperor is off world quite a bit, wouldn't everyone get lost.

The astronomican is powered by all the psykers the Imperium sacrifices on a daily basis. The black ships were going around catching psykers long before the heresy. I imagine the Emperor helps, but it works without him. Lots of psykers dying appears in the warp, same concept as overloading a warp drive.

Tyranids and chaos. Chaos is the emotional thoughts of psychic races. If the nids kill everyone.... no more chaos. The necrons went to sleep when the enslavers were killing everyone because they hoped the enslavers would wipe out all the psykers... thereby cutting off the one thing that was a threat to the C'tan... the warp, and the C'tan could return without anything to stand in their way... must have been a rude awakening. If everyone dies, so does the warp, so does chaos. The nids don't have to go into the eye to defeat chaos. Sure some chaos servants will live in the eye, but with most of the galaxy dead chaos will be greatly weakened.

As for what effect Shadow of the Warp might have, I'm curious about that myself. Though theoretically, if the Shadow of the Warp is simply Tyranid Hive Mind traffic, a smart daemon might be able to ride it back to the Hive Mind for a little posession attempt

In storm of Iron I think I remember the IWs had a giant ship that was once a tyranid. They infected it with the techno virus. Different concept, but the same result.

Back on the orgiginal topic... Yes, I think the Imperials knew about the Eye. After all, didn't the birth of Slaanesh cause the Imperium to be thrown off, during the first age of Apostacy or something like that, and they had to regreat crusade it? So, if thats true, it wasn't there before, but it is now, and it coincides with the great dark age or whatever, should we go near it? No! When the Imperials drove Horus back to it all those years later, they probably thought they were going to destroy them.

Dark Apostle, Horus was already dead by the time the Traitor Legions retreated to the Eye the first time.

But Iunno, it's kinda weird. Because it's said the Dark Gods have always existed in the warp. Since before time and yet they each were born along a certain time line (with Slaanesh being what? 20,000?) So theoretically their power base could be drawn from across all of time, but that sounds silly as well.

Way I see it as the Tyranids become a greater threat, more Imperial forces get devoted to fighting it, less reinforcements for the Cadian Gate, more worlds fall to Chaos, and both forces meet up somewhere in the middle for a big 'ole battle (With Ahriman summoning ship-sized Screamers =D)

@Iron Winds: while psychers were collected pre-heresy, they were not fed into the Astronomican until the unfolding of the HH, as shown in Collected Visions. Apparently they are only fed into it because of Magnus's breach into the Palace with his warning for the Emperor. The Emperor says his power was enough to power the Astronomican and Crusade around the galaxy, and returned to Terra to finish his super secret project. Then Magnu's message comes along, breaks the Palace's wards, and unleashed hell below the Palace. This is why the Emperor was forced to start feeding psychers to fuel humanity's warp travel, as his abilities were tied up repeling daemonic assaults.

the psychers were collected for the soul binding process, and only used as these batteries as a last resort by the Emperor and Malcador.

all revealed in the Collected Visions.

WLK

• 1 month later...

I don't think you got what I meant...

Alright. You are the Emperor, and you have a good Imperium growing. Then suddenly something huge happens, and a big violet/red dot appears in the sky. You know these things are related, as well as they will be purely negative to humanity. So you avoid the big purple/red dot in the sky, you need to use your resources to expand in other areas anyways.

In a related coincidence I believe in the first HH book, the symbol of the Luna Wolves was called the "EYE OF TERRA" ...a play on words for Eye of Terror?

The styilised eye they take on as the Sons Of Horus is called the Eye of Terra, not the Wolf In The Moon. Incidentlly, it was a recognised Imperial Icon back then, Sang wore even it on his breast plate.

Archived