Imperial Fists WIP

Brother Ducarte

Thanks guys. I dunno if it's good enough to place, but i learnt a heck of alot painting it.

I'm actually a bit dissapointed by it's lack of POPishness. A friend of mine said he looks like he should be printed on some kind of floral curtain cos he looks too soft.

Anyways, glad you guys like it.

BD.

Thanks guys. I dunno if it's good enough to place, but i learnt a heck of alot painting it.

I'm actually a bit dissapointed by it's lack of POPishness. A friend of mine said he looks like he should be printed on some kind of floral curtain cos he looks too soft.

BD.

Things don't always pop in real life, and things do not end in hard lines (visually), and they way you have painted your models (I would almost call it pastel) is very life like and realistic. I am soo jealous of your skills.

BD.

id like to start off by saying, the blending and technique work is fantastic, colour is gorgeous for the most part as well

the main reason for that, that i can think of, is due to colour choice

while the pinkish tones look great shading softer tones, they arent dark enough to actually feel like shadows...they are more of a colour youd use to show reflected light(from say a saturated pinkish/salmon wall) or some such

the pink tone itself is as bright as most of the yellow, so doesnt feel like shadow, so unless you build up layers of colour to create that feeling of darkness you wont get any harder depth, it will always feel soft and pastel like, because you used pinks

the pink works fantastic for what im going to start calling, "shaping colours" which i will describe as colours that are different in saturation or hue, applied to areas to help define the shape of the surface...so on this guy i would say on beginning part of the curvature towards the shadows on the jump pack...the problem comes in when you try and use the same pink, with a bit more intensity, as your darkest shadows

you end up with strong colour ccontrast on the majority of the figure, but not so much the sense of shadows

the major thing i can say is that it looks as though all colours you painted are from seperate environments, they have no similiar colours. the key to harmony of colours is using similiar tones throughout, the reasoning is because colours in shadows(some parts) and colours overall are affected by the lighting and colours in their environment, and without this will always look slightly off or different than what you are usually after

Alex

Hey all.

Thanks for the comments.

Starks, where were u 5 days ago! (joking ;) ).

What your describing is exctly what was happening. The more I was shading down with the pinkish/flesh tone, the more it just seemed to work in reverse and actually intensified the brightness of the shadowed areas instead.

I tried to tie in the colours a bit by using the pinkish tone in the "black" sections and also on the hammer head, but I guess it's not strong enough to really give it cohesion.

Thanks for the constructive advice, I'll take it with me to the next minis I do. (unfortunately they might be some xenos so they'll be banished to another forum!).

BD

Archived