The Rise of The Infernal

Decadent

PART THE FIRST

Descent of the Templar

"This...is not...a fitting end...to my life..."

Brother-Champion Kurtis Coughed loudly, blood splattering and clogging the filters of his helmet. He wrenched it off and threw it aside, spitting more blood onto the floor. All around him were his brethren, dead and dying. He was the last of them on the battlefield, the last of his chapter anywhere. The Crusade fleet had been destroyed when the remnants of the chapter made planetfall, and the chapter had been methodically destroyed, cut down by wave after wave of the demons taking over this world alongside the guard they had corrupted.

Kurtis' strength began to fail him, his one remaining heart struggling to operate with the damage sustained to it, a long shard of shrapnel having punched through the other, rendering it useless as well as smashing open his reinforced ribcage. He struggled to his feet, gripping his sword and gritting his teeth. He looked up at the enemies facing him. They parted as a huge figure walked through the smoke of the battlefield. It was easily three times of the already unnaturally tall space marine, oddly thin and gangly, and had the face of a huge bird. When he spoke, it sounded smooth, cultured, and like a thousand whispering voices all at once.

"You are right Kurtis, or should I say Reteya...This isn't a fitting end to a warrior such as you..."

The marine glared at the monstrous figure of the greater daemon, fighting to stay standing, holding the mighty sword in both hands. He growled softly, a sound of pure primal hatred.

"Demon, I don't know how you know my old name...But I swear by the Templar symbol I bear, for the honour of my chapter, I will slay you or die in the attempt!"

He attempted to charge at the demon, taking a few steps, then falling flat on his face, the sword spinning out of his grasp and sticking into the mud by the demon's feet. It reached down and plucked it up between two fingers, his beak seeming to take on a mocking smile as it began to glow and change. He knelt down by the fallen marine, a finger of it's other hand rolling him over.

"Your chapter is dead Reteya, the Shadow Templars are no more, but you have a choice...I offer you life, life, power, and a chance for your existence to have more meaning than just another marine. Six hundred years of service and you became a Company Champion. All that meant was they thought you worthy to hold a big sword and give your life for your captain."

It tutted.

"This is your choice Reteya. I may let you die on this battlefield, or I can give you knowledge, power, and a purpose. All you have to do is acknowledge me, and Tzeentch, as your master."

Kurtis groaned as he was rolled, then looked up at the demon. He sighed.

"The Emperor has abandoned me, and I have no wish to die... Demon...I accept your offer."

The demon dropped the weapon, now changed into a polearm, and smiled at him.

"Wonderful. I return the name of Reteya to you...and give unto you Life, Power and Knowledge. Take the weapon."

Reteya rolled onto his front, crawling over to the weapon on the floor. He gripped the handle and cried out as images and words filled his head, filling it to near-breaking point. He struggled to his feet as vigour and strength returned to his body, the length of seemingly being absorbed by his body and forming another layer of protection beneath his armour. The Templar cross on his arm faded and twisted, being replaced by a brightly glowing mark of Tzeentch. He twitched, then fell to his knees, arched his back and screamed, fire pouring from his mouth and creating a coat over him. When the fire receded he sat there, panting loudly. Helooked around and blinked. The battlefield was devoid of life, the demons were all gone and he was left there alone among the dead. He got to his feet and strode over to the helmet he had discarded, ripping the ornamental laurel wreath from it and cleansing it of his blood before sliding it back on his head. There was a flare of light and it sealed, his armour changing its colour to something more suitable to his new allegiance. He stopped and stood still, unmoving for a good hour, then nodded, murmuring "Yes, my lord." Then slammed the butt of his staff against the ground and speaking a word of power. A warp-gate opened before him, showing the interior of a chaos vessel beyond it. He stepped forward, the gate sealing itself behind him.

_________

This is the beginning of some fluff that details the foundation of the Infernal Sons, my chaos army, more to come ^^ tell me what you think.

I'd like to see this fleshed out a bit more, I feel like Kurtis gives in too quickly, especially after 600 years of loyalist service! Perhaps we can see his internal struggle instead of just accepting the words of the greater daemon as-is.

I really like the first line and appreciate all the iconography of the Imperium changing on its own. Keep going!

(edited for failing to make sense ;) )

Archived