Ultramarine Honor Guard "3D"

p049979

This so going to be SO epic when you put him in a pose. Amazing level of detail.

Looks like you still need to color the buttons on the top of the backpack . The chainsword also looks a bit skinny, but I won't be able to tell till i see it in his hand.

This so going to be SO epic when you put him in a pose. Amazing level of detail.

Looks like you still need to color the buttons on the top of the backpack . The chainsword also looks a bit skinny, but I won't be able to tell till i see it in his hand.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Yea, the main reason the chainsword is thinner was because I was going for a more realistic view, I always wondered how it would cut if the teeth where not as thick as the actual bulk of the "blade" ? I tried to angle it in so it looks like you could continue to cut deeper than the blades depth, does that make sense?

I have also finished the tedious job of cleaning the whole scene up so I can start thinking about poses. So far its a very sloppy job on the rigging but I will tidy that up next. For now here is a rough and ready Idea for the pose. No rig on the hands yet either so they are just kind of karate chopping at the moment ;)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/Pose_01.jpg

Incredibly impressive :D. The work you're putting in to this project is definately showing. I wish I could do things like this with a computer... Looking forward to seeing more when you get the weapons in there and the hands rigged.

James

Great stuff. Really enjoyed going through this thread. That is a fine piece of work. Your skill with software is amazing.

Nit picking, my only helpful observation is his waist. I think his armour overlap doen his sides to his pelvic area looks a little to inhibitive for side to side movement. Still awed by it though.

Yes, I have run across a couple of areas where the armor is a bit restrictive, it's always a challenge to get right so you don't have massive amounts of seal visible. The up side it once It properly setup all the seals and bits that can flex I can just tweak the size of the joins a bit. I ended up playing with the pose some more and had to pull the torso up a little so that it didn't clip with the pelvis armour when it leans to the side.

Here's another shot with block weapons ;)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/Pose_03.jpg

The pirst pic on this page reminds me of someone on a beach, of course, he was wearing shorts and was 'Riding the waves, dude!' :lol:

I do like it very much, and his pose seems realistic.

I like the idea of a banner, Not sure what I would put on it though, do the honor guard have them?

@ wiplash

Its done in Maya, although I started it in Max. It was originally only done in my lunchtimes but then I decided to start working on it at home as well. The texturing is done with photoshop and crazy bump.

I have finished modeling the weapons, and a quick render using an HDRI image, its not the best quality but it's supposed to give it a more realistic lighting solutions. I will probably use something like this for the final render. Also if any of you guys have any 3D models of anything 40K related, tanks drop ships and what not I would love some stuff to go in the background, which is another area I am undecided on.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/Weapons_02.jpg

I think you guys are right about the chainsword, I have bulked it up and made it larger. It clearly wasn't big enough at all. I am going to head onto there textures next, In the meantime here is a quick photoshop of what I think the final proportions and layout of the image are going to be. As for the background I was thinking maybe some kind of ridge looking back down to a ruined city with some kind of beacon near him and a load of drop pods in the background coming in?? If anyone has any Ultramarine specific Idea that would be good feel free.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/FinalTest.jpg

Everytime I check on this thread your image just keeps getting better and better :D. I think the idea you've had for the background would look really cool, like this guy is part of the first wave securing the drop site for the main spear thrust.

James

So I have finished the UV work on the pistol and I'm now starting the textures not a lot to show so far but I made it glow :lol: That's really the most important thing!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/PlasmaPistol_01.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it!

@Mahoo

I'm using Maya and photoshop and then a little program called crazy bump.

@Retributis

It is indeed my job, well kind of I normally do more technical things but I do make artwork as well.

@Terminatorinhell

Feel free to use it as a wallpaper, Its obviously far from finished though. Its not even smoothed in those renders :o

@Mithril hound

I would love to work on a mod but I barely have time to finish this! Maybe when I'm done which I'm hoping will be soon but you never know :)

More updates to follow this weekend hopefully.

So I have managed to get some work in on the pistol

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/PistolRender_02.jpg

Im quite happy with it but I think the materials will need some tweaking when I add it into the main scene with the guy. Any comments or ideas on the design are welcome.

Archived