Ultramarine Honor Guard "3D"

p049979

So Ive finished all the basic colour map work now, I have changed the helmet to white and I also gave the pad trims a go as white as well. I think I like it, it was always quite busy anyway so I don't really think that losing the shiny pads detracts to much. In fact I think it helps to draw it all together better, what do you guys think?

I'm also starting to think about other final details like marking on armour and little bits of tech stuff like the markers you get on jets and other military equipment. Any help with what these should be or ideas for markings would be appreciated.

So here it is:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/NewArmourColours_02.jpg

emperors holy :cuss holder this is great! i think im in love, i never thought smerfs could look this good! why didnt YOU work on the ulramarine movie? :D :D :D are you planning on animating them? cause i would love to see a short about this marine! maybe with a little more... blood...and angel on him ;) other wise he's perfect! i love him! great job on the detail too, love the shoulder pads!

The marine looks simply stunning. I noticed you are working on some purity seals, how many are you planning on putting on him? The chainsword looks great, I always thought they should be somewhat slender (slender for a ten foot tall killing machine in bulky armor, i.e. massive for a mere mortal) and I simply love it.

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the movie, the animation on the fighting in the trailers really put me off ;) I'm sad they wont just invest some money to make a real nice film.

I haven't really decided on the seals yet, I have reached that awkward stage again when I cant decide what the final pose should be. I will probably have the purity seals blowing in one direction in the wind but that will be dependent on the pose I go for so they look nice.

I have tried a couple of ideas out nothing final but I have the weapons back in there. Any suggestions or idea on pose would be great. I am thinking along the lines of an at rest or not to dynamic pose. Mostly because there wont be a background just a shot of him. The lightning will be changed too this is very basic one directional light :P

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/PoseCombine.jpg

I have had a bit of a play and I think you are correct, gun pointing toward the camera is good, Its ended up not all the different from the original pose except for that its a bit more balanced. I think this is probably what I'm going to go with.

I have added some of the seals to get an idea for them and also some of those leather bits, not sure what they are called. at the moment they are just put there no shape or anything its just to see how they look and if I want them at all, what do you guys think with or without?

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/TestBitsFina_01l.jpg

I'd say with, but you will have to pose them as well of course so they don't look so stiff.

As a fellow 40k 3D artist I appreciate the amount of work you have put into this, great stuff! I'm not sure how I missed your thread for over a year but I'm glad I've stumbled upon it. I also use maya and photoshop, I do some detail in zbrush as well. I meant to try crazy bump but I usually just use photoshop to make my bump maps and zbrush for normals.

How long are you render times so far?

Have a look at my work and let me know what you think, ---> Link to my Gallery

It's not often us 40k/maya folks bump into one another, from my experience anyways.

@Brother 'Ussell

Thanks, Ive had a brief intro to Zbrush but I haven't really got into it, that's part of the reason I want to finish this so I can move onto something new, probably in Zbrush.

I had a look at your work, I really like the templars, You've got a cool shape on the leg armour and the proportions are nice.

I think the render time is up to something like 5-6 mins or so, Its hard to tell I often walk away or start surfing the web or something.

@Brissebrajan

Thanks, I have had a look at the movie models some of the armour is a bit bland :rolleyes:

@Pulse

Cheers, I have definitely learned a fair bit, I would do it differently if I did it again that for sure, always the way!

So here is the latest, not smoothed still and a couple of minor bit and bobs to do but its close. 2 pic this time!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/MentalRayHighRes_01_50Per.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/NewAngle_01.jpg

A fair few small tweaks on stuff, its basically there now. I still haven't rendered it smooth just because that's going to take a fairly long time. I was thinking about adding in some white decal work to the armour, maybe on the legs or something not sure what though. Any ideas would be welcome.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/p049979/AlmostFinal_Shop.png

Everything else is beautifully perfect, but for some reason(other than a lack of oral capabilities), the chest plate just doesn't speak to me. I think it might be because it sticks out a bit too much. I wouldn't make it flat, but maybe make it a tad closer to the torso.

Its brilliantly done, way beyond anything I could even comprehend doing. But I think the one thing that looks odd to me is his feet seem to small for the size of his shin guards. I think they "flare" too much at the bottom, they could do with stopping a little higher on the boot and being a bit more "cut" around the top of the foot.

Its especilly noticable on the last picture as his rear foot almost disappears under his leg armour.

And one more thing, I think a small vent in the top of the helmet would look good. I find my eyes being drawn to the head and then there being a blank space on the front of the raised bit down the top of the helmet.

Other than those small niggles, its amazing amazing work.

Archived