Death Wing idea.

BlackSpike

I have (just about) decided to make a Death Wing, and was wondering what people thought about my idea:

Paint them black, and take some bones from a Skeletons box to put on the outside of their armour. Bones down the arms and legs, a rib-cage instead of an Aquila on the chest.

Similar to this t-shirt:

http://www.squidoo.com/glow-in-the-dark-halloween

or some of these:

http://www.springleap.com/posts/view/skele...ng-to-be-trendy

The bones would be raised up, giving more definition and texture than just painting them on.

I know it will make the DeathWing a bit "black" and not so bone-white, but with enough other trim (Purity seals, Company markings etc), it might work, no?

Yeah, a bit like LoTD.

No flames though. Just bones, and bone-white trim.

Not sure if I want any other colours - maybe some minor green trim, they are Dark Angels still.

I'd only be doing one of my 3 squads like this. One more traditional, and one undecided - the HQ/Assault unit needs a decent conversion.

Yeah, i'm not a big fan of the standard termie helm.

I was thinking of Space Wolf TDA Wolf Guard with Logan to build a WolfWing, and would use a combination of the WolfHead helms and Mk6 Corvus 'Beakie' helms with stylised wolf heads drawn on.

Does anyone know of bigger bones than the skeletons? Tomb King stuff looks either expensive, to ornamented or both!

• 1 month later...

Update:

I've modelled 5 of these guys. Unfortunately, my camera is out of action, so no pics yet. :P

Very black, with bone add-ons. 1 skull-head, 1 bald sarge with bone-white skin.

They have a AoBR dread in 'standard' DeathWing bone-white with them, and I'll be adding another soon (scheme needed).

I now need ideas for my other 2 squads. I'm hoping to stay with some kind of 'death' theme, but am willing to diversify for a neat scheme.

Pall-Bearers sounded good, but very hard to make work.

Covered with trophies from a Death World might be feasible. (monster heads on their belts, Venus fly traps wrapped round them ... )

If anyone has ideas for my HQ assault squad and foot-slogging squad, please post here!

• 2 months later...

OK, latest update:

Still no pics :P

I had a new idea for if I filed these guys as WolfWing:

Being 'DeathWing', they get painted in a white scheme.

This makes them White Wolves.

For those that know the RPG company White Wolf, I will be modelling the 5 guys as :

Vampire (Bats, Coffin, fangs)

Mage (Pointy Hat, Staff, Spell Book)

Wraith (Ghost-White effect)

Changeling (Elf?)

???

I don't need to model a werewolf, as they are all wolfs already.

(and Belial/Logan could be a Big Werewolf)

Comments please?

OK, had an extra idea for this:

Try to make each White Wolf to be from a Loyalist Chapter.

Vampire = Blood Angel.

Mage = Librarian? Not sure what chapter, apart from 1ksons

Wraith = Something to do with Gaunt?

Changeling = struggling.

• 2 weeks later...

For my next trick squad, I was hoping to reinforce the Death theme by making the bases look like a graveyard.

Ideas were:

Gravestones

Freshly dug earth

Bones/skeletons

Urns

Does anyone have any useful tips for modelling freshly dug earth, or where I can get/make Headstones? They dont' want to be too big, and can include both intact and broken ones.

I have a pack of skeletons and skeleton horses, so plenty to work with there.

2 words...successor chapter!

(or a diy chapter)

maybe make them venerate death like the mortifactors or even say they are the 1st company of the mortifactors (who count as deathwing, for they do not fear death...)

It wouldnt work for deathwing but i think its an ace idea!

hope my rambling helped...

Archived