Bug Hunting

Koremu

Carnifex can have Frag Spines. They can also get Furious Charge and have an inate +2 Init when on the Assault, giving it 5 S10 Init4 attacks. It also gets rerolls to hit with 2 sets of Scything Talons, for the cost of 175 points.

Carnifex can have Frag Spines. They can also get Furious Charge and have an inate +2 Init when on the Assault, giving it 5 S10 Init4 attacks. It also gets rerolls to hit with 2 sets of Scything Talons, for the cost of 175 points.

:lol:

And they say carnifexes are overpriced now...

But anyway, we'll just deal with them the standard way - by shooting them with lots of high str stuff. At least they can no longer have T7 and 2+ save, so missile launchers are going to be more effective. Which is nice, because it promotes typhoon speeders.

:lol:

And they say carnifexes are overpriced now...

But anyway, we'll just deal with them the standard way - by shooting them with lots of high str stuff. At least they can no longer have T7 and 2+ save, so missile launchers are going to be more effective. Which is nice, because it promotes typhoon speeders.

Yeah, rumours of the demise of the Carnifex have been greatly exagerated. They are just no longer the nigh-unstoppable beasts they were before. It gets worse when you realise that you can Drop Pod (Mycetic Spore) them onto the enemy lines now.

EDIT: Although that's only an option for Solo 'fex. Broods can't use Pods.

I'm begining to think this release is making the less widely-used Marine upgrades look a lot more viable.

It seems to counter the idea of "melta-up"; makes Assualt Cannons look like tempting choices again (though they still compete with the CML and the Typhoon) and both the Las/Plas and Assault Cannon Razorbacks would be quite useful - and still have utility against other armies too.

I know many advocate the use of Hammer/Shield Terminators, but I think mixed Squads are going to be the order of the day now. THSS is fine against the big bugs, but the smaller ones are no so cheap, or get recycled, can be spawned on the tabletop, can arrive in Drop Pods or through Tunnels; that it's not a guarantee that the Terminators are actually going to be able to engage the Monsters and full strength - the little gribblies bring weight-of-attacks which is the weakness the THSS still suffers from. Add in a few Claws and the smaller gribblies are suddenly less sure to down a few of the valiant 1st Company. The firepower available to "tactical Terminators" could make them an extremely viable choice too - they suffer more in CC (strike last, 5+vs3+) but can put wounds on the toughest monster with Storm Bolters and Cyclone/Assault Cannon beforehand to help even the score.

And Nid shooting isn't half bad either, and between the Zoanthropes and Mawloc/Trygon mounting such a unit in a Land Raider becomes a riskier business - and we all know THSS struggles without mechanisation.

I must admit, my version of a "take-all-comers" list has turned into "Can it deal with the Tyranids" - as they are so broad-spectrum that if you are balanced to take any of those themes on then you should have the equipment to deal with hordes, mechanised and elite armies from other races.

I'm begining to think this release is making the less widely-used Marine upgrades look a lot more viable.

I agree with this.

One thing is that H-K Missiles look tempting against 'nidzilla.

A H-K is basically a 55% chance of a wound on a T6/3+ MC. That could be its last wound. Good for making sure you get the beast down before it can strike,

The problem with plasma is that it's just not cost-effective, IMHO.

It costs more then melta, wounds tyranid MCs on 3+, suffers from overheat, and is rapid fire so you can't charge if you use it.

EDIT: Oh and, unlike melta, plasmaguns don't instant-kill warriors and nobz. This is a biggie.

Maybe its just that I play with Chaos Marines but I find 2x PG squads quite useful. With a Rhino you should be able to get 1 shot off at 24" and a rapid fire up close. Thats 6 Plasma shots at a minimum and thats already 3x the amount of firepower of a Melta.

I stress that you don't want to replace all or even 1/2 of your Melta with Plasma. Melta are awesome and pretty mandatory in the current meta-game but there is usually some room for a few Plasmaguns in an army.

I think Loyalists will have a slightly easier time handling the new Tyranids because they have extra cheap ranged firepower like Typhoons, Dreads and CML Terminators. Plus they have the ultimate "oh crap" button in TH/SS Terminators. Chaos will have to put more of the work on our troops and use the other things as backup.

Anything to consider is that the Nids, despite having some nice shooty units, are still short ranged, with their longest range being 36", and most weapons only shooting as far as 12-18". Even the Zoanthrope's new Warp Lance is only 18", and it is in this short range that we can find advantage.

The Rupture Cannon has a 48" range, but it costs a minimum of 265 points to field a Tyrannofex with one :/ and is BS3 only

I concede that point, must admit I completely forgot about the Tyrannofex. However, he is the only one who can carry that weapon, and with standard Barbed Stranglers only being S4 IIRC, then I can't see them being used much, and I'm pretty sure Venom Cannons are 24" now. So on average the Nid army is still short ranged, meaning that Whirlwinds, Thunderfires, Dakka Preds etc are going to be good choices. Flamers as a last minute resort.

IMO the better Heavy Support choices against Nids are going to be the Whirlwinds and the Thunderfire Cannons. Both have some high strength, low AP shots, but both also have a slightly weaker, ignore cover shot which could come in handy against the Nids using cover, especially those which have Move Through Cover. ML Devastator Squads will also be potent due to them being able to switch between wiping out the big bugs to the little bugs instantly.

Maybe its just that I play with Chaos Marines but I find 2x PG squads quite useful. With a Rhino you should be able to get 1 shot off at 24" and a rapid fire up close. Thats 6 Plasma shots at a minimum and thats already 3x the amount of firepower of a Melta.

As I said, I happen to run a command squad with powerfist & 3 plasmaguns in my casual lists. That's 6 plasma shots from a single unit with feel no pain...

And I still don't find it much dangerous to anything, and with the new tyranids upcoming, inflicting instant death against T4 models will become even more important, making melta even better then plasma against bugs.

And I still don't find it much dangerous to anything, and with the new tyranids upcoming, inflicting instant death against T4 models will become even more important, making melta even better then plasma against bugs.

The biggest problem I have is that Melta isn't the best answer to their MCs and we can assume that most lists will have 4+ T6 MCs of some variety. There is a good chance that you'll need alot of firepower to knock them down before they reach your line and I hate to rely only on a 12" range weapon.

Yepp, that's the problem with CSM. Apart from obliterators, you guys don't have much reliable anti-MC shooting.

With vanilla it's easier, we have th/ss, godhammer landraiders with the cool PotMS, and tons of mobile multimeltas - the sort of versatile, awesome stuff that really does a good job against MCs of all types, really.

Yepp, that's the problem with CSM. Apart from obliterators, you guys don't have much reliable anti-MC shooting.

With vanilla it's easier, we have th/ss, godhammer landraiders with the cool PotMS, and tons of mobile multimeltas - the sort of versatile, awesome stuff that really does a good job against MCs of all types, really.

Exactly! color me jealous :lol:

Maybe thats why I feel that Plasma will be a better choice for Chaos. We can double up on it and it helps fill that role of anti-MC firepower that Codex Marines have covered by other units.

I really expect the Typhoon to be used more often. It seems the perfect counter a variety of the standard Tyranid units. Tac Terminators w/ CML also works for the same reason.

I know one unit that I'm really thinking about (for Chaos) is the Lesser Daemon. Using it as a tarpit/blocker unit for their biggest threats, namely MCs. A squad of 10 should buy you 2+ turns to focus on the rest of their army and the S4 is even enough to potentially wound them at the same time.

I'm going to guess offhand without having read the codex that it will make having powerfists to ID T4 and wound higher almost mandatory(if it wasn't already the best sergeant upgrade already :huh: ). Other than that I don't see how nids will be a whole lot different from handling other armies, my long ranged antitank just have big, tough, but still squishy things to shoot rather than armored things to shoot. A smattering of template weapons to lay waste to hordes and the nids are done for. The reported lack of grenades means that sticking your tac squads in cover will be a must, but truth be told they should be using cover as much as possible already. ^_^

Guessing that the most versatile upgrade will continue to be the missile launcher as it can dish out good high ST shots and moderate st templates, probably with a flamer as a nice backup for nid swarm management. Quad ML devs may find a place once again in my army lists, but more likely I'll just stick to dakka or combi preds.

Deepstriking carnifexes scares the bejeezus out of me. :lol:

Yeah, Deep Striking is a threat because it's an instant "deal with this right now" type threat, which canny 'nid players will use to draw essential fire. Their Pods also not having to deploy 50% on turn one is a massive advantage compared to our Drop Pods :(

Power Fists are indeed going to feature quite highly, as ever...

I picked up the new dex yesterday, and had a flip through it. The things that stood out to me:

The new Hive Tyrant has some absolutely disgusting psychic powers and biomorph options. Many of thos epower auto-hit as well. Ugh.

Tervigons don't bother me much. You roll 3d6 for the spawn roll, and if ANY doubles show up in that 3d6 roll, the Tervigon is done producing for the game.

Pyrovores will almost certainly be deployed via Spore Pods. They have no real ranged attack beyond the heavy flamer "spurt". And they ONLY blow up if they take a hit that causes Instant Death.

The special characters seem incredibly undercosted.

We'll see how it pans out in my local area, since we really only have one Tyranid player who's got enough of a force to make use of the new Dex.

I do like that the new Nids are very customizable. You can create themed armies that all synergize together. You can have a force that uses Lictors to get close to the enemy, and then provide non-scattering Deepstrikes by using the pheromone trail. Seems like it would be great if using winged Warriors, Gargoyles, Harpies, etc.

You can also do a force that is largely Burrowing.

Most hilarious entry in the new book goes to the special character that causes Ripper Swarms to pop out of the opponent's models.

Pyrovores will almost certainly be deployed via Spore Pods. They have no real ranged attack beyond the heavy flamer "spurt". And they ONLY blow up if they take a hit that causes Instant Death.

Or following a Trygon on from Reserve. Trygon tunnels allow no-scatter Deep Strike for following units from the point of emergence.

Tervigons don't bother me much. You roll 3d6 for the spawn roll, and if ANY doubles show up in that 3d6 roll, the Tervigon is done producing for the game.

I did a small sample (72) of simulations and got an average of 23 termagants from a tervigon before it stops producing. The high number was into the 60s or low 70s. Very rarely it stopped producing on turn 1 with 5-7 termagants. Even when it stopped on turn 1 usually I got a pretty good brood out of it.

Some things about Tervigon that make it a very interesting choice for 'Nids players:

• MC that can be taken as a troop choice.
  • Each brood it produces counts towards kill points (ouch!)
  • Can buff the heck out of nearby termagants by giving them furious charge and toxin sacs
  • Has an optional psychic power that grants FnP to a nearby unit
  • Can take an 18" range large blast S5 AP- shooty weapon
  • When it dies it's going to take a bunch of nearby termagants with it

Most of that is good but spawning a bunch of small, weak units in a game that uses kill points may just lose the game. 'Nids are my 2nd love in 40k and I plan on converting a Tervigon.

Had a look through a store copy, my impressions;

HQ:

Hive Tyrant:

He is a bit more pricy than before, so I'd expect people to take Alpha Warriors in smaller games, but at 2,000 or higher you will see him. The best loadout is going to be lash whip+bonesword+scything talons, maybe replacing the scything talons for a gun symbiote. Upgrades will be probably Adrenal Glands (making him S7 and I6 when charging), 'Regenerate' (expensive but worth it), 'Tactical Insight' allows a Troops unit to Outflank and adds +1 to Reserves. Don't expect to see 'Extended Carapace', it is way too expensive.

He'll have 2 x Tyrant Guard packing lash whips+rending claws as well. His best psychic powers are 'Nerve Shock' and 'Mental Scream', so expect that combo (he picks from 4 options, they are free). 'Mental Scream' forces everyone nearby to take a Leadership test, you suffer power weapon wounds for every point you fail by. 'Nerve Shock' is the best anti-Death Star power in the game. Basically, he passes a psychic test and you become WS1/BS1. Great for beating Sternguard, Nob Bikers, Stormhammers etc that try to intercept the Tyrant.

Counters: You need to blow away the bodyguards, so I'd recommend spamming krak missiles and lascannon into them. 'Regen' is worth it, but it's only on a 6, so if you can quickly take him down early in the game, it'll save you the frustration of watching him regenerate wounds. Don't get close, and don't attempt to assault him (even with stormhammers), he'll just 'Nerve Shock' them and then eat them.

Swarmlord:

Bascially an uber-Tyrant. Don't ever get in combat with him, unless you have a Libby with 'Might' and 'Quickening' (thus allowing you to strike first, as he doesn't have a lash whip, and being S6 you'll reliably get that wound past his 4+ invul). He knows all the powers and can cast two per turn, plus he has 18" Synapse bubble.

Counters: Same as regular Tyrant, wear down his Guard with krak/lascannon then finish him off with the same.

Alpha Warrior:

The most cost-effective hero unit they've ever designed. Typical loadout is lash whip+bonesword+deathspitter. Tack on adrenal glands and toxin sacs (regen is kinda pointless, but some people might take it), he's a Wraithlord killer. Not only is he a dangerous assault character in his own right, he grants his WS6 and BS4 to any Warrior unit he joins. Combine that with the Tyrant's Outflank bonus, and you can face a very dangerous assault unit appearing in your DZ.

Counters: He's T5 and 3+ save, so krak missile+lascannon is the way to go (you have to blow up his retinue first though). Plasma also works well, although you're moving into assault range for that. A Vindicator is perfect for smushing both him and his Warrior bodyguards. Don't assault him, his lash whip combined with a poisoned bonesword will beat any assault character you send in. I'd risk Lysander maybe, but none of the other characters have what it takes.

Parasite of Mortex: More of a fun unit than a good HQ. He'll cause some havok with your Outflankers, and he can generate Rippers simply by killing someone in close-combat.

Counters: He's only T4 and a 3+ save, so a krak missile or lascannon will quickly kill him. Being an IC, I'd see him attached to a Winged Warrior brood or maybe a unit of Gargoyles. Not an MC, but he does have rending claws, so bitch-slap him with a powerfist and he'll die.

Elites:

Hive Guard: Bascially the new anti-transport option for Nids. Always expect a 3-strong brood of these guys, if not two broods. They're complete crap in close-combat, so using Assault Marines or a Biker unit to quickly engage them is a good idea. Expect them to hide behind the MC's and snipe your Rhinos when they get close. If you do wanna gun them down, Kraken bolts, heavy bolters and autocannons will all punch through their 4+ save and kill them. They are T6 though, hence close-combat is preferred (you win combat because of the powerfist, then chase them down).

Counters: I'd kill them in close-combat. An Assault Marine unit with a powerfist will tear through a brood fairly easily, as will Bikers. Even if you don't kill them, robbing the Tyranid player of their firepower is cruical to keeping your AV11 bunkers intact.

Lictors: Bleh. Their S6 rending ranged attack seems dangerous, until you realise it's BS3. They can't assault on the turn they arrive, which makes them essentially bolter fodder.

Counters: Wait for them to show up, then riddle them with bolters+Rhino storm bolters. Sternguard will also clean them up pretty easily with Dragonfire bolts. You can even take them down in combat with a squad powerfist.

Deathleaper: Annoying Lictor character that will make your Libby less reliably at casting psychic powers. Thankfully, this penalty goes away if you kill Deathleaper. He's I7, so again use a big unit to absorb his kills (he rends on a 5+), then smush him with a powerfist.

Counters: Like with regular Lictors, he can't assault when he shows up, so pelt him with bolter fire/Dragonfire bolts. Powerfists will also kill him.

Venomthrope: Wow, what great bonuses. Too bad they're bad in combat and they die to shooting pretty easily. Treat them like Warriors and watch them evapourate. Expect them to hide behind MC's.

Counters: Even Scouts can take down these things in combat, provided you have a squad powerfist. Assault Marines will make a big mess of them as well. S8+ shooting kills them outright too.

Zoanthrope: Expect a brood of three in a spore pod landng next to your Landraider and blowing it up. On the plus side, their 3+ invulnerable can be negated using allied psycannons (either an Inquisitor or Grey Knights unit will make short work of them), and they'll die to massed attacks+powerfists in close-combat (hello Assault Marines). Like with Hive Guard, your best bet is to tie them up in close-combat and eat them.

Counters: Assault Marines and psycannons. Don't waste your heavy weapons fire on them, he wants you to.

Doom of Malantai: Zoey special character. Priced about 13/rd more than a basic Zoey, but still a great unit to bomb with. His 'Life Leech' passive ability works like 'Mental Scream', only it's got 6" range and any wounds you take he gets added to his wound profile. His megarape blast is AP1 and uses his wounds as the Strength. On the plus side, he's about as hard to kill as two Zoey's (before 'Life Leech' adds anything), and his megarape blast causes D3 unsavable wounds to him (although he gets to 'Life Leech' them back afterwards).

Counters: Mystics+psycannons means he's screwed once he crawls out of the spore pod. Likewise, a unit of Assault Marines will eat him in close-combat.

Pryovore: Ahahahahahha....(breathes in)...no, please...bahahaha

Counters: Shoot them with guns, or charge them with anything. Watch them die pointlessly. Laugh at the free Kill Points.

Ymgarl Genestealers: Interesting choice, it's a pity they can't score. Some nice rules, they can choose between being S5, T5 or 3A each turn (although can't be the same twice in a row). They also get deployed secretly and 'activate' when the enemy gets close. Unlike the suckage of Lictors, they can assault on the turn they activate. Nasty if you plan on Infiltrating Scouts etc, kinda meaningless when you're bunkered up in Rhinos. They pop the Rhino, you slaughter them with bolters.

Counters: Try and set them off, once they pop out they're basically just Genestealers (hence rapid-fire and flamers work fine).

Troops:

Tervigon: You pretty much know the deal with these guys. They'll pack 'Catalyst' (and cast it on themselves) and 'Regen' (what he doesn't FNP he'll get back next turn) and be spewing out free Gaunts. Hit them with powerfists and lots of heavy weapons. Target one, then the other once one dies.

Counters: Heavy weapons, plasma, stormhammers, Assault Marines. You'll need to shoot away the Gaunt screen around him first though.

Warriors: Wow, these guys have really become awesome. Typical loadout will vary, but expect lash whip+bonesword+deathspitter, with one guy packing a barbed strangler. As I pointed out before, they're designed to work with an Alpha Warrior 'sarge' to lead them. Coming off from Outflank (thanks to the Tyrant), they shoot you up them assault you with power weapons. Upgrades are adrenal glands (so they strike first, or if you're in cover same time), probably nothing else (as they cost about as much as Terminators by now).

Counters: Stormhammers eat them pretty well, as do Vindicators. Don't get in combat with anything else, their power weapons and Furious Charge (not to mention I1 penalty) will beat Assault Marines. You can try wearing them down with Kraken bolts and heavy bolters (or even massed bolters), but I'd just use a stormhammer unit to quickly eat them.

Genestealers: Same awesome you're used to, Broodlord loses power weapons but can shut down a character or powerfist in combat with his 'death-stare'. No 4+ save option this time round though.

Counters: Bait them, then hose them down with bolters+flamers. Avoid combat like usual. Oh yeah, they get Infiltrate standard now, so watch out for that.

Termagaunts: Heh...oh yeah, buy ten of these, unlock a Tervigon. Really, thats all people will do. It's cute they threw in some of the older bio-weapons, just to please the veterans. Too bad the basic fleshborer outkills all of them.

Counters: Yawn...if your Rhino storm bolters or Whirlwind/Thunderfire have nothing better to do, shoot these guys. Even Tactical Marines can curb-stomp them easily. Problem is, they keep getting pooped out by Tervigons.

Hormagaunts: They have super-Fleet...but no more 12" charge range, so meh. Unlike Termagaunts, you aren't getting replacements, so I wouldn't expect these guys. If you do, they will very often get off an 18" charge, but it's no longer certain and they aren't doing the old 24" Speedy Gonzales manouvre like in the last codex.

Counters: Shoot them. If they reach you, their I5 will see them kill a few dudes before they get clubbed to death.

Rippers: Really, they should just make these guys free already. Who will care? Mortex dude gives you free ones.

Counters: One Scout can probably take on a base of these guys and win. Shoot them if you get bored. Oh, they can deepstrike, but thats more for fun.

Fast Attack:

Winged Warriors: Basically 5pts extra for jump packs, but the same unit as the Troops. Probably won't see them, as Ravenors do the same job and the Alpha Warrior can't take wings, so he can't make these guys uber.

Counters: See Warriors.

Ravenor: You pay the same as a Winged Warrior to have the scything talons+rending claws combo. Also, no more 'dakka Ravenors', you get one gun symbiote upgrade. Still good.

Counters: See Warriors.

Flying Rippers: Why?

Counters: A bolter.

Gargolyes: They auto-wound on a 6 to hit...but they still die like Gaunts. Meh.

Counters: See Termgaunts.

Harpy: See, if they'd just given it a 3+ save, you'd actually be worried. As it stands, that 4+ save means Hellfire bolts, heavy bolters, autocannons etc will rip it apart. Couple of krak missiles/lascannon will also do the trick. It halves your Initiative in combat, but your powerfist will still bring it down without too much trouble.

Counters: Assault Marines will get mauled by it, but the Sarge will still slap it down. Anything AP4 or less will also kill it.

Spore Mine cluster: They're just S4 AP4 bombs now, no special variants. You have power armour, so you won't care. Yay, free KP's!

Counters: A few storm bolters from the Rhinos.

Heavy Support:

Carnifex: Yes yes, we've all heard the bitching. I think it's actually more dangerous now, because it hits at I4 and can take frags now. With S10 and being an MC, that will rip through your Dreadnoughts and squads pretty handily. Not to mention it can buy a 12" range plasma cannon as well. Expect them in a spore pod bombing your lines. Gunfexes are dead thankfully.

Counters: Shoot it. Stormhammers are the only unit I'd risk in combat with it, it's just that much better at I4.

Old One Eye: He costs 100pts more than a bare bones Fex, still dies just as easily. See above.

Counters: See Carnifex.

Biovore: Tries to be a Whirlwind, forgot to be S5 and a vehicle. You can largely ignore him.

Counters: Dies under any kind of pressure. Hell, Scouts can take him down if they Outflank in a Storm.

Trygon: Ah, now here is the real deal. He's tough, he Deepstrikes, he has a decent gun, and if you upgrade to Prime, he casts 'Shadow' and Synapse (plus his gun gets more insane). Excellent target for stormhammers, take him down before his regeneration kicks in.

Counters: Stormhammer Terminators, every heavy weapon/plasma gun you've got. Assault with multiple units if you need more powerfist.

Mawlock: Basically the little brother to the Trylock, except instead of a decent gun he spits up corrosive bile on you if he lands on you. Easy answer is to mechanise, that way all he does is blow up the Rhino. Do not have anyone out of a vehicle, he'll just land on them and you will watch them evaporate.

Counters: Just as tough as a Trygon, but not as good in combat. Stormhammers will make short work of him, but his 'Hit and Run' and ability to re-burrow mean a unit of Mystics and a Devastator/Sternguard/plasma Command squad nearby is a good investment. Blast away most of his wounds when he shows up, then finish him off with Assault Marines/stormhammers.

Tyrannofex: Hmmm...I'd be worried, but he costs as much as a Landraider BEFORE he takes a decent gun. You probably won't see him, as Mawlocks and Carnifex are way better options (Trygon Primes are so expensive you'll only see one in a list typically).

Counters: Treat him like a Tervigon.

Your biggest threats a probably going to be;

- Hive Tyrant advancing in a phalanx with Tervigons, spewing out Gaunts to act as assault screens.

- Hive Guard sniping your Rhinos if they get close

- Zoey's suicide bombing your Landraider

- Alpha Warrior+friends showing up via Outflanking and eating a backfield unit like Devastators or Sternguard.

- Mawlocks eating static units outside a vehicle, re-burrowing and beating your backline

- Trygon Prime eating units and keeping things under control with his Synapse

As general counters, I'd recommend:

- Pedro Kantor/Lysander to lead the army (Pedro is a better general, Lysander is a better head-smasher)

- Terminator Libby w/'Might' and 'Gate' to transport stormhammers (attach Lysander if you take him)

- Stormhammer unit/Inquisitor w/psycannon+Mystics+plasma Vets in Chimera

- Sternguard with lascannons+combi-meltas in Rhinos (hence the attraction of Pedro)

- Tactical squads w/missile launcher+flamer in Rhinos (good basic anti-everything)

- Assault Marine squad to hide behind Rhino wall and counter-attack enemy units

- Vindicators for blowing up Gaunts, Warriors and Genestealers

- Whirlwind to nuke Gaunts, Biovore and Genestealers

With boneswords and implant attacks, the new 'Nids are going to have a lot of assassins. Nastiest (not most effective but most frustrating) may be the broodlord - he's an upgrade character now so can't be picked out from his genestealers. With implant attack he'll insta-kill on a 6 to wound and with toxin sacs he'll re-roll failed to wounds due to the 4+ poison.

Boneswords in pairs are going to become the bane of many players existence. On any wound if you don't pass a leadership test against 3D6 (note - not 'take the 2 highest', 3D6)... insta-kill. Once again toxin sacs will allow re-rolls to wound against marines because of the 4+ poison.

Edit to add- throw in Death Leaper, who reduces the LD of one model D3 and boneswords can really ruin a day.

No, it's a lot more subtle than it appears. They've obviously tried to change the dynamic of the 'nid list away from how the old one worked, while (as you mention) streamlining all the extraneous biomorph upgrades.

In addition I think they really wanted to see 'nid players being willing to cheerfully sacrifice units. Most of their units have become more knife-edge in their use - easier for the enemy to kill, but either cheaper or more threatening. Genestealers are a perfect example.

I expect to see Flood tactics and 'nid waves, as well as Suicide "pod" attacks. Pyrovores, while not especially useful against Marine forces, are a prime example of this. The ability to pod 3 Heavy-Flamer beasts next to the enemy line is going to strike fear into the hearts of every single race that can't muster a 3+ save.

It's important to note that the Broodlord's gaze attack thing only works on a model that's in base contact with HIM. Keep your sergeants with fists in the center of your squad, and you'll never have to worry about losing those attacks to the Broodlord.

I'm not sure why, but I really like the Ripper Swarms. Dirt cheap, and expendable. Throw a huge squad of them at a walker, and you'll be tying it up for at least two turns while it plucks and crushes. Sure, they won't DO anything to it, but if you can deepstrike a bunch of them next to a Rifledread, lone or paired Sentinels, etc, you've got the world's cheapest walker tarpit unit. Flying Ripper Swarms are more expensive by 50% per base, but can get to grips with their tarpit target even faster. I see them as a great way to tie up heavy guns on walker platforms, or man-portable. Throw a bunch at a 5-man min/max Dev squad, or an IG Heavy Weapons team, and you've made back all your points just by silencing those weapons.

Agreed ShinyRhino.

Venomthropes are another example. Sure, individually they are rubbish, but they come in packs of three and you have to kill all of them to get rid of the bonuses they provide to the surrounding MCs and hordes.

They've got a lot of stuff that's just there to tie you up, slow you down and keep you from going after primary targets.

Target prioritisation looks to be absolutely critical to playing vs. the new 'nids.

I'm not sure why, but I really like the Ripper Swarms. Dirt cheap, and expendable. Throw a huge squad of them at a walker, and you'll be tying it up for at least two turns while it plucks and crushes. Sure, they won't DO anything to it, but if you can deepstrike a bunch of them next to a Rifledread, lone or paired Sentinels, etc, you've got the world's cheapest walker tarpit unit. Flying Ripper Swarms are more expensive by 50% per base, but can get to grips with their tarpit target even faster. I see them as a great way to tie up heavy guns on walker platforms, or man-portable. Throw a bunch at a 5-man min/max Dev squad, or an IG Heavy Weapons team, and you've made back all your points just by silencing those weapons.

For 5pts/base you can give them a S3 AP5 Assault 4, twin linked weapon.

Archived