Warrior birth

astartes88

Chapter 1

The young boy sat crossed legged facing the statue of his hero, his inspiration and his god. He couldn’t have been more then 15 terran years of age. After a few moments he rose to one knee while making the sign of the Aquila in front of his chest. He bowed his head in reverence and respect. “Immortal god emperor I ask for you to grant me the strength and endurance to pass this challenge. All my life I have dreamed of joining the greatest of you’re warriors. On this day the final challenge to join the Astarte’s is the toughest of all. For myself, for my family and for your glory I shall prove myself or die trying.”

A moment later he rose to his feet blew out the candles and incense as he left the room. He walked past the rooms of his house, and then moved down the stairs all the while looking at the paintings of his ancestors. At the door he saw his family waiting for him. His mother and sisters were crying, his younger brothers looked in awe of him. It was his father’s facial impression that he felt would never leave his memory. How proud yet fearful for his son the boy could not say but knew the depth of it.

Stepping up to each and giving a hug and kiss to each with his mothers being the longest and most tearful. However his father only looked him in the eyes and said, ‘ Calos never before has a member of our family attempted to join his most holy warriors and you have one last challenge to complete. Never forget we love you. Trust in the emperor and your future shall be yours. Always your best and let no thoughts of failure enter your mind.” Tears fell from his eyes as he hugged his oldest son, he knew this would be the last time he ever saw his son again.

A few moments’ later young calos walked out the door and walked to the transport that held the other five aspirants. As the door

opened he placed his hand on the door and looked back one last time. He saw his family standing there his youngest brothers threw there fist into the air. “Calos be the emperor’s sword!” he smiled with pride as he turned and stepped into the vehicle.

Several minutes later the vehicle left the city and raced off at incredible speed. None of the giant warriors were here, just two of the servants and the six hopefuls. As the transport moved all he could do was remember the last two weeks of the trials. He remembered the hand to hand combat test. The weapons test involving all sorts of weapons, he proved himself adept at the sword and axe fighting.

The logic and engineering test proved difficult yet not impossible, he smiled as he remembered how his mother’s insisting him to learn the basics proved helpful, despite his lack of cooperation. The strength and endurance trial was by far the most impressive. Well he thought so till one of the other aspirants blew past him and proved to be the better. Few boys could run four miles and then undergo those strength challenges as well as the two did.

Not long after words the boy turned and glares at calos, stone cold determination. “If you keep looking at me like that I will haft gouge out your eyes.” He said coldly returning his gaze to the path before them. Calos simply laughed and sneered at the boy. Thirty minutes later they arrived at the base of the mountains.

As the vehicle slowed down to a halt the young aspirants could see three of the giant warriors. Each stood like statues of stone, not until they got close that they could see the helmets were off with each held at the warrior’s side. Each one’s face was completely neutral and unreadable to the boys. Then suddenly the one in the middle spoke after what seemed an eternity, ‘aspirants get out now for the final challenge!’

For several seconds they were all dumbfounded and struck with such fear that none moved. After ten seconds both calos and the boy who had threatened to bring some rather intense pain to him stood up first and simultaneously. The others soon followed, and as they moved closer to the three they saw six circles on the ground each one with a cloud in it.

“Move outward towards a circle individually, and then bow to one knee,’ the voice bellowed in a strict voice that they followed without question. Each one in a separate circle calos and his seeming rival were at the two outside circles. ‘Two of you shall follow each of us; not a word is to be spoken once you have left the circle. Once you have reached a designated point you shall prove your worth in a duel with the one next to you.” They all looked at each other a few swallowed nervously calos and the boy simply stared at each other.

“Follow the warrior directly in front of you, and prove your worth to us and to the emperor!”

Calos and the boy to his left stepped forward and followed the great warrior. They followed the warrior in armor. His armor was a dark storm like blue with dark gold trimming. A Giant lightning bolt and grey cloud on the left shoulder piece, he towered over them. He led the two towards a flight of stairs that looked like it extended to the very top of the mountain.

The great warrior moved up the stairs at a pace that was far faster then the two aspirants would have liked and they almost had to start running to keep up. Every few minutes one would look at the other to see any signs of weakness or trying to remove the last thing standing in the way to being a warrior. For what seemed like an eternity and countless steps calos looked at the warrior again and could tell he hadn’t changed his pace at all and didn’t look like he was even slightly fazed by the sheer weight of his armor on the climb.

Every second that went by calos became more and more determined his desire to be like the warrior in front of him was rising with every step. The sweet was flowing off both of them profusely to the point the clothing they wore was soaked. The air got thinner every second that passed by. It didn’t matter to calos he would not stop even if he had to go to the very tip of the mountain. He would be among the emperors chosen warriors; nothing short of death would stop him.

Finally after moving up over 12,000 steps the warrior stopped, the two boys nearly crashed into him. They looked at each other and almost couldn’t believe they had stopped, and then back at the warrior. He turned to his right and they could see a circular area that looked like a small arena. On the sides were the statues of famous warriors. The warrior stopped in the very center and directed the two to his side with his hands.

For two minutes they stood eying each other and daring a glance at the warrior. Finally he spoke, ‘Calos Plyon and Lenance Severest, you two have earned the right to take the final test. You have proven your simple skills and engineering and logic comprehension. Both of you passed the fitness test and showed a potential for various weapons. The two of you are adept fighters unarmed but now this will be a different test. You have just climbed to 12,000 feet above sea level.”

He paused for a moment before continuing, ‘behind the two of you is a weapons rack go and chose one and only one weapon for lightning strikes once.’ The two boys turned and walked to the edge of the now obvious arena that would be the place to decide their fate’s.

Calos saw all sorts of weapons that he recognized swords, knives, axes, spears and battle hammers plus a multitude he did not. On each weapon he saw the skull that represented the immortal emperor. All in all he counted 15 different types of weapons. It was a short sword that captured his attention. He grabbed it and could tell that it was ad normally heavy and bulky for a short sword. Just before he turned he saw the reason why, and then turned to claim his destiny.

The other boy had chosen his weapon of choice a moment later and stepped forward with his spear. His face bore a confidence as he saw the choice of weapon Calos had. The other boy was a good three inches taller and his reach would be even greater with the spear. Soon he would prove he deserved the chance to join the emperor’s finest more then his opponent.

Mere moments later the two aspirants faced each other weapons down, in a relaxed stance now the only thing that stood between them was the great warrior. He looked at both of them and nodded in approval of their choice,’ aspirants you shall now battle for your destiny, the rules are simple you win by knocking your opponent out, forcing them to yield or by killing him.’ the last statement was just as neutral and calm but forceful that he seemed to not care if one of them died.’ Single combat is a holy act in his name and is the most basic part of your service to him on terra. Now for your glory and his on Terra, FIGHT!!!”

Immediately the marine jumped back as Calos and Lenance brought their weapons up defensively. Calos assumed a two handed grip with the sword bent slightly behind his head to the right. Whiles lenance had his spear almost fully parallel to the ground. They looked deep into each others eye’s as they started to circle each other. Calos attacked first with a strike down that was easily blocked by his opponent. Lenance countered by stepping forward with his right aiming his spear tip at Calos head.

He ducked and brought his sword back up as the spear was brought back in reverse, the power of the spear was impressive. Calos tried to kick the boys feet out from under him but had left himself vulnerable and was in turn brought to the ground when his feet were knocked out from under him. He saw the spear being raised to where the bottom could be thrust at him. As it came down Calos rolled quickly to his left and got back to his feet. Bringing the sword up he activated a button and the sword split into two short swords.

The boys face was one of shock and Calos grinned as he pressed his attack with the different strategy. Calos moved quickly slashing at his left, parrying the spear or blocking the defensive strikes. The other boy was getting more desperate by the second, unable to defeat this new strategy. He couldn’t keep this up for much longer, so choosing he jumped back as hard as he could.

Now a few good meters away he raised the spear up to where the tip was aimed directly at Calos face. Seeing this calos readied him self with his left sword forward. The boy yelled out in an attempt to set his opponent off balance and charged forward with all his might. As he moved his aim was perfect never moving off target. With the spear inches away calos stepped his back foot around blocking the spear with his left sword and used all his strength to bring the right sword down.

Lenance cried out in agony as the sword penetrated his arms then into his stomach. Blood began to flow and he immediately screamed in pain. He would not be able to win the duel nor probably live for to much longer, but he did manage to cut through some of calos arm and could see blood beginning to spill out and fall to the ground. Calos pulled his sword out and immediately grabbed his arm and stepped away from the defeated boy.

After several steps he turned to face the warrior, blood dripped from his left arm. The warrior walked up to him and then put his right hand on calos shoulder. He flinched with the pain that the weight of his hand and armor pressed on his injured arm. Looking deep into the warriors dark eyes that looked as thou they had seen countless hardships. It was only then that he saw the scar that stretched from the left side of his chin to his ear, and the three gold stubs on his forehead.

“Young Calos you have proven yourself worthy of joining us, you shall be among the warriors for a young chapter. You have been blessed with the opportunity to make history and strike fear into the enemies of man.” Breathing heavily and still clutching his arm he smiled roughly then looked back at his defeated rival.

“What shall happen to him my lord”, the young boy asked with some pity in his voice.

“He shall serve the chapter however unlike you he will only be a servant. Judging by his injuries he will probably become a servitor combat, training, or some menial task. You need not concern yourself with him; your destiny will be far more glorious.” Not long after he finished his statement a large rock opened up and three men ran out, two to the fallen boy, while the other went to calos aid.

“What are you doing? Oww! What in the name of the emperor did you just stab me with?” Not long after that his arm began healing itself. A scar was forming his first one of many to come. The man walked back to the rock as the other two dragged the near death boy with them and then the rock wall closed back down.

The warrior returned his gaze upon calos, ’Your final test has been completed, now follow me so that you and the other aspirants who have succeeded and begin you’re initiation.’ Just then the great warrior started to walk away, looked back and nodded his head forward to have him follow.

Several steps later a separate rock wall opened and the two walked forward and then stepped onto an elevator shaft. The great warrior pushed a rune and they began to rise with considerable speed. Approximately four minutes later they came to a stop at the top to an open area. Calos couldn’t believe it the top the mountain was actually a hard platform that had a thunder hawk gunship on the platform.

Looking around he saw one of the other boys with one of the other warriors. It was the boy who had beat him at the physical challenge, and then threatened him on the transport. The warrior had a helmet that was far different from the one that accompanied him. It was a skull helm and that evoked fear and made him think of the emperor. “That is the chaplain for the chapter; He is responsible for the warrior’s spiritual health and motivation in battle. Few can match his fury in battle, he is known as the bane of Xenos. And it looks like he has found a suitable apprentice.”

“What shall be my fate lord warrior?”

“First of all I am the captain of the first company, and so from now on you WILL address me as captain Leonard Slatos. Your fate will be determined if you survive the training and gene manipulation. You will be trained and altered to a state of superhuman proportions. Emperor willing you shall become a great warrior and slay many enemies before the emperor calls you home.” Not long after saying the final aspirant arose from another hidden shaft.

The three boys are directed to the center of the platform, each of the three warriors surround them. In unison they spoke in loud thunderous voices that could be heard echoing through out the mountains. “You have each been chosen to join our brotherhood. You shall strike the enemies of the emperor with the lethality of the lightning bolt. You will crash upon them with the strength of thunder. You will bring judgment and war to the xeno, mutant, and traitor. None shall survive your fury born of lightning!”

Calos and the other boys were in awe, despite this not one of them couldn’t feel the dedication and resolve forming in them to uphold this new commandment. Every fiber in his body was flowing with pride and excitement.

Just then the main door to the thunder hawk transport opens up and a walkway descends to the ground. The great warriors take the lead with captain Slatos is in front, the chaplain to his right and the other warrior on his left. Each boy followed behind the one that lead them up the mountain and entered the craft that would take them to a new home and each ones bloody and painful future.

Hope the story is enjoyable, please comments and corrections aplenty.

Nice Story, I enjoyed.

All my life I have dreamed of joining the greatest of you’re warriors.

"you're" means "you are". Use "your".

He grabbed it and could tell that it was ad normally heavy and bulky

Abnormally.

Also, you should always capitalise Emperor in 40k as it's always referring to the GEoM himself.

May I suggest rechecking your grammar? Some of your sentences don't flow properly.

Also, some sentences are just a little long. There's no problem with length, it's just that in some, you start saying something and then finishing the sentence too early, if you understand what I'm saying.

for your reading pleasure!

Chapter 2

The thunder hawk transport’s engines screamed as it broke the atmosphere of the planet. A fiery shield seemed to surround the transport as it finished its climb. Shortly after the transport broke the atmosphere and set course for a large vessel that could easily engulf the thunder hawk transport. Over the loud speaker the pilot called back to captain Slatos, ‘Great captain we are approximately ten minutes from the ’Zeus anger’ battle barge. The machine spirit is ready and pleased to deliver such promising aspirants.’

Calos smiled hearing the pilot speak barely even noticing the captain’s response. He did not yet know what a battle barge was nor its true purpose, for all he knew that it was the next part in his life. Soon very soon he would be faced with the transformation from a mundane servant of the Emperor into a powerful tool of destruction. So lost in thought he didn’t notice the transport entering the barges hangar bay, not until the craft landed rather violently did his mind return to the present.

“Exit the thunder hawk and follow the men to your left, may the Emperor be with you.”

“Strike like lightning!” a moment later several other brother marines responded with, ‘Crash with thunder!’ the boys soon followed the men and were given new quarters after several minutes worth of walking they arrived and entered the room. All three of them were billeted inside the same room. As they entered it was obvious that a large number of other boys were with them.

He looked to his right and looked directly at the boy and then stretched out his right hand,’ names Calos seeing as how we both have made it here I think we should become acquainted.’ The boy eyed him very suspiciously then smiled and took calos hand,’ Names Angelus good to meet someone who might be a worthy rival. What about our other friend here, whom might you, be?’

‘I’m Dicaris pleased to meet you both best of luck to us in the endeavor. However you two are lucky to be around such amazing potential as me.’ He looked at them seriously for a second before he laughed pretty loud drawing the attention of nearly everyone in the room. “Ha ha ha guys come on now, loosen up no point being serious all the time we are here!’ Calos and angelus stated laughing with there new friend.

The next day all of the initiates were lined up in three rows of nine in a three sided box manner. Calos and his new friends stood

on the far right side. An old marine stood in the middle staring them down sizing up each and every one of the boys. He sure didn’t look happy, looking around at the hopefuls. That was a good name for these recruits, hopefuls.

“Well now what do I have here, a bunch of pathetic kids who want to be Astarte’s. Look to your left and you will see what I very much doubt you can ever become. Fully fledged, veteran marines of the 1st company. Who have seen more campaigns then any of you, have been alive. Return your gaze to the front, now you see that rock wall behind you, you have until I count to twenty to reach the top or we will do this until the Emperor walks again. One! Two! Three!’ The recruits all ran to the wall hoping to meet the deadline. Some hoped they could make it but many knew they wouldn’t but would try none the less. Calos and Angelus passed nearly all of them and moved up the wall faster and better then the rest. The old marine could see this plain as day and thought to himself that he had two recruits with great potential.

Still with over three fourths of the way to the top left the old marine shouted out,’ TWENTY get your sorry rears back in formation now!” Calos and Angelus looked at each other and shrug there heads before moving down the wall.

Weeks go by with constant physical training, hand to hand, and Astarte’s technology and tactics. Calos showed great proficiency in both blade weaponry and equally proficient in his marksmanship skills. With angelus demonstrating almost equal skill, the two soon became best of friends and rivals. The elders fueled this competition to push the boys. However angelus was far better at motivating his other initiates than calos.

“All recruits fall in on me NOW!!” After a few short minutes all had arrived. Each boy was leaner and his face far more serious and controlled then when they first arrived. “Today is a great day for you all as today the first of the specialized organs that make an Astarte’s will be implanted into you. Fall into file and follow me to the Apothecarion.”

About ten minutes later they arrived and an old man covered with implants turned to each and spoke with a slightly mechanical voice. “Welcome future warriors, as you no doubt have heard you receive your first gift from me’ he paused for a second to look at the faces. “You shall receive 18 organs all together but today only you shall receive your second heart. More than just giving a back up heart; this allows more blood to be flow in your body. Also you will be able to survive, well make it easier in a low oxygen environment.”

Looking at the boys,’ now who shall be the first among you?” Calos was the first to step forward, with Angelus on his heels. The apothecary smiled ‘Excellent let us begin!”

Even with some drugs to numb the pain it was still very painful receiving the organ. Focusing on his training,’ Remember you are an Astarte’s and pain is nothing to you; never allow it to hinder you or the mission. The Emperor’s pain at the betrayal was far worse than anything you can feel.’ The words of the librarians spoke without origin inside his mind helping him through the pain.

As the days and weeks and months passed more organs were implanted into the boys. Each one brought with it a new gift and strength to use against those who would try to take their lives. Implants like; the larramans organ to help heal his body, , the ossmodula, but none where as important as the progenoids the gene seed of the chapter.

The rivalry between Calos and Angelus continued as did the sense of brotherhood that developed between the two. Dicaris tried as hard as he could to keep up with the two but was always a step or two behind.

On the last day of the first year of the training a special training session was being conducted, one that the initiate’s knew nothing about until they arrived. The master trainer of the boys strode out to the formation zone, ‘Fall in on me!’ Within seconds all had arrived.

“Today you shall take part in a training exercise that most chapters do not put their young initiates through. As of now in your development you are slightly more powerful then the average man. You have been well trained, your discipline is almost perfect and your physical strengths are improving daily. Each of you has trained to fight bare handed or with firearms. Not one among you has not received hypnoconditiong; to strengthen your mind and soul for the battlefield’s you may find yourself upon.”

Slowly the chapter master began walking behind the old sergeant, ‘A live fire exercise against armed opponents, men who have chosen to murder their fellow man for no justifiable reason. You shall be pitted against them in a direct attack action. Now I turn the floor over to the chapter master.” All including the sergeant bowed to one knee and place one fist into the ground.

“Recruits, you are the future of the chapter, we have chosen this to be an annual training event for you at the end of every year of training. These men have committed crimes against their fellow man; they are all under death sentences from the planets we recruit from. Should they defeat you they will be granted freedom, however they can only defeat you by killing you. So I highly recommend that you not allow them to rob you of victory.”

After that the chaplain spoke up with his loud and commanding voice,’ these men have betrayed the Emperor’s love and trust of his servants show them the Emperors punishment. Strike like lightning!’

“Crash with thunder.”All the boys responded in unison and very loud. The chaplain and chapter master’s hearts filled with pride. He turned his gaze back to the master of the chapter who took a step forward he was now only three paces from the boys.

“Calos and Angelus rise to your feet.” The boys were in shock they couldn’t believe that the chapter master the man who commanded the chapter, who had seen more battles then either of them were old had called them by name. After a few seconds the boys shock softened enough for them to rise. “The two of you are the best in this group and thus far shall lead two teams each. You get six men each choose well now go to the armory and prepare yourselves.”

They all didn’t need a further order they moved with all the haste that youth, enthusiasm and the enhancements that they received could provide. Calos and Angelus jesting at each other the entire way to the armory.

“Hey calos; can you believe this? The chapter master knew our names and addressed us personally?”

“Ha ha yeah I know man, poor Dicaris always one step behind.” Dicaris simply glared at the two and kept moving no wise crack this time for this time it was a real scenario. He knew this and would simply prove to be better then the two brown noses.

An hour later they were all ready to go and each was given a lasgun to use. Despite its use primarily for Planetary defense forces or imperial guard units it would be used until the recruits were ready for the more powerful weapons in the arsenal of the chapter.

Calos walked amongst the guys in his team and double checked all the gear and weapons. He wanted to be a leader and this was a great opportunity to learn first hand how to do it. Not one of the recruits was nervous.

Chapter 3

As the doors opened up calos lead his team out into the battle ground. They moved along the back side of a hill. Having been briefed about the ‘enemy’ being at a defensive bunker two kilometers out they chose to split and try and pincer attack them.

Calos lead’s his team from the front as they moved along the trench, he wanted to be a leader and that started now! The area was full of small berm’s and trees that provided small amounts of cover and concealment. Dicaris was rolling a few paces behind calos; he wanted to prove himself better than Calos. With all the physical training and genetic manipulation all the neophytes were easily able to move fast and thanks to the exceptional training they received, discipline in their formation was perfect.

A few minutes later they could see the bunker and with a long berm that was around a click long. Calos and Angelus met in the middle. “Eh Calos, looks like a well built automatic weapon hole and multiple small firing ports. Looks like the flanks have something, can’t tell it’s camouflaged." Angelous said.

Grabbing his binoculars Calos raised his head behind a small bush. Seeing what his friend saw he grinned. “I got it brother! You're team causes a distraction by firing upon them with accurate shots. Hey throw some smoke to will ya? We could use some more actions to confuse them." Calos was taking charge, and formulated the plan quickly. He had one hell of a grin as he put the binos back in its pouch.

"Yeah well and just what are you going to do? Huh? Sneak around back and stab em" jeering as he grabbed a smoke grenade canister.

Maintaining the grin,' when you see us on site shift fire, let us be a thunderbolt." before a response could be given calos turned and began moving quickly to return to his squad. In a few short moments the fight would happen. His heart was racing, adrenaline was flowing and his hands were steady. Each of them had been physiologically conditioned in preparation to kill the enemy, and to know no fear!

Not long after returning to his squad Angelous squad opened fire on the bunker. The accuracy and volume of fire made calos worry that they wouldn’t have anyone left to kill. Ninety seconds later calos's team assaulted the bunker. As soon as they had thrown the grenade into the bunker they took fire from behind and someone shouted out, ' MAN DOWN!' when he turned around he saw dicaris had a hole through his neck and possible wounds to his torso.

Everybody inside the bunker now! Was all he could say? It took him a moment to get over his friends death. As he looked out he could see a trench network, with multiple positions were the enemy no not enemy but criminals who killed other men. And now they dared to strike one of his best friends. They would feel his wrath for this. “ANGELUS get over here!” he cried and his friend was quick to climb in through the gun hole. “Have some guys grab what they can we have a whole trench network here. They are clearly the same as these criminals. You and I will move up, while they give covering fire and we throw some smoke, then we will put two of the micro grenades down into the trench.

All he got was a nod in response for everyone was there and heard him. Everyone grabbed what they could use and prepared. Seeing everyone was ready, ‘NOW!!’ he screamed and the smoke grenades and covering fire began with a vengeance. Both Calos and Angelus moved to the trench and cooked off a pair of micro grenades before tossing them into the trench. A few short seconds later they exploded killing a unsuspecting criminal. After the explosion both boys rolled into the trench and took a knee, with their weapons raised to cover their brother’s entrance to the trench.

As each aspirant entered they began to slowly push forward with Calos in the lead moving towards the right. They caught several criminals off guard and were easily able to dispatch them. Every time they reached a corner or extreme curve the next one would bound up. With ten minutes the trench had been cleared and no more of the initiates had been killed but 23 criminals were executed.

After ensuring everything was clear and safe they moved back to the bunker and the body of dicaris. Everyone but Calos and Angelus had grins of achievement, but not those two. They had all come from the same world and at the same time. Upon arrival the two bent down and picked him up and carried him with them to the fortress sanctuary. The other’s quickly surrounded the two and escorted them back ensuring that no evil would befall the dead aspirant.

Twenty minutes later they arrived to a sight they did not expect. In front of the entrance was the Chapter master Tiberius himself with the chaplain and sergeant Navt. Each bore pride on their faces at what the young ones had just accomplished. Knowing full well they would feel great but sorrow and anger at the same time for the death of dicaris.

Tiberius thought back to the first time he lost a brother in the fires of war. Even though it was over three centuries ago he still remembered it like yesterday. Welcome back young warriors you have now been baptized by fire. This is likely going to be ten times easier than any combat you see out there in the vastness of space. I know you feel the loss of young dicaris strongly but know that something’s are out of your control. Be at peace about it, he is now with the Emperor.”

Looking around allowing his last statement to sink in. “We don’t need you to stay in grief; your training will intensify now. For times are growing darker more and more storms build strength, they require the lightning’s wrath’s warriors to be ready. No one can weather a storm like us.” He saw that he had the desired effect of re stimulating their spirits.

As sergeant Navt moved them to back to the armory he turned and focused on two of the aspirants in particular. A second later the chapter’s chief librarian arrived as stealthily as he was known for “These two shall make it, of that I have no doubt. Something important will happen with them, but what?”

The first chapter was great. Reminded me a whole lot of shipping off to boot camp. And all the emotions that came with it. The rest we good as well, beside the few grammatical errors, I've got nothing to add, keep it up!

thanks man i drew on some of my memories from basic and such so it helped alot. Yeah grammar... not my strong suit.

Well from on military man to another thanks for your service. Grammar is a crutch, you don't need it.

here is a bit of a teaser for the next chapter

As Angelus walked into the room he saw calos upside down, in a handstand position. Shaking his head,’ calos today is supposed to be a day we get to take easy. Yet you continue to work out and practice the way’s we have been adopted into. Take a break will ya?” as he finished his statement he sat down on his cot.

Breathing heavy and with a lot of sweat on the floor, then turning himself around to face his friend while still upside down.” Uhh well we all deal with things differently brother, you throw yourself in meditation and prayer while I see it as a failure on my part as to what happened to dicaris.” Still struggling to stay balanced, while his face continued to get redder by the second as more blood continued to move to the head, ‘besides he wasn’t in your team it’s not your fault.’

He couldn’t take it no more his anger flew up inside of him and jumped up and kicked Calos in the stomach and he went several feet back and on the ground. “Emperor damn you Calos, it wasn’t your fault I swear I will hit you harder if you ah...” He didn’t get a chance to finish as Calos tackled him and they began fighting on the ground. Calos was on top and punching him in the ribs and as angelus tried to hold him in a head lock. Wrapping his legs around his head in and grabbing his arm Angelus began to squeeze.

and the game is on!

Chapter 4

As angelus walked into the room he saw calos upside down, in a handstand position. Shaking his head,’ calos today is supposed to be a day we get to take easy. Yet you continue to work out and practice the way’s we have been adopted into. Take a break will ya?” as he finished his statement he sat down on his cot.

Breathing heavy and with a lot of sweat on the floor, then turning himself around to face his friend while still upside down.” Uhh well we all deal with things differently brother, you throw yourself in meditation and prayer while I see it as a failure on my part as to what happened to dicaris.” Still struggling to stay balanced, while his face continued to get redder by the second as more blood continued to move to the head, ‘besides he wasn’t in your team it’s not your fault.’

He couldn’t take it anymore his anger flew up inside of him and jumped up and kicked Calos in the stomach and he went several feet back and on the ground. “Emperor damn you Calos, it wasn’t your fault I swear I will hit you harder if you ah...” He didn’t get a chance to finish as Calos tackled him and they began fighting on the ground. Calos was on top and punching him in the ribs and as angelus tried to hold him in a head lock. Wrapping his legs around his head in and grabbing his arm angelus began to squeeze.

“My brother I feel your pain, the three of us were all from the same home planet, HE WAS MY BROTHER TOO! The sooner you realize it’s not your fault and stop letting anger drive you mad. The more at peace you will be.” Slowly he phased out of consciousness and was let go, he fell on his friend, and Angelus picked him up and laid him on his cot.

A few seconds later he grabbed a cup full of water and threw it on calos’s face, waking him up rather rudely. Calos looked around then sat up ready to continue the fight but stopped as soon as the clapping started. “Well done Angelus you have the makings of a chaplain in you, listen to your brother calos for what he speaks is true. Sometimes in battle we lose our brother’s and we have no control over it. You feel survivor’s guilt and that is natural. In time you will be able to accept it and use the pain more constructively.’

He started walking towards the two and both went to a knee in respect to the sergeant. “Believe me I know, I have lost many brothers and subordinates in combat. You have taken the pain and thrown yourself into a level of dedication I have rarely seen. You have become the best aspirant we have right now. But you are blinded by anger, besides it has been five months and I’m sure dicaris would kick your arse for being all upset.”

He let his words sink in then left the room, just as he was about to exit the door he turned around, oh and one more thing boys we have a real mission off world. We leave tomorrow, I’m taking the two of you plus Izekias and Boris. Clean yourselves up and get some rest you will need it, transport to the Zeus’s anger leaves at 0500. Be a second late and you won’t go on the mission. “A small but predatory grin formed as he left the room.

Both of the boys rose to their feet, “well brother looks like it was lucky timing you talked sense into me.”

Looking at his brother with a grin of his own,’ oh please I couldn’t have done that for the great and mighty Calos pylon. Whose power and skill know no bounds ha-ha?’ the two returned to grappling with each other but this time it was fun.

Several light years away on a distant planet, a foul creature began to walk about. He was taller than any space marine. His skin was a dark green and was bulging in several areas where the skin could barely contain the muscles of its owner. He did not have hands instead had large metal claws in place of hands he had last in some forgotten battle. Everywhere he walked those around him moved to the side afraid to incur his wrath.

He walked a bit farther then looked out among his most trusted servants, ‘EY now watz de problemz with my shipzz. Weze cantz go out and kill any humiez till they are ready. ‘Then yelling a beastly horrific loud roar he grabbed two small Gretchen and slammed them into each other, killing them instantly. Then walked away his message clear.

He was an ork warboss and had assembled a WAAAGGGHHH of over 30,000 orks, but couldn’t get them off the planet yet. Little did he know that there were more than just ork’s acting on the planet.

As the orks continued to prepare for the coming WAAGGHH mostly by fighting with each other, a few specters moved silently throughout the camp. They were clad in black armor and a white raven was painted on the shoulder plates. There were three of them each moving in a manner befitting a chapter known for its supreme skill of stealth.

A quick burst of static hissed in the lead marines ear piece “Brother Captain, we have word from our allies an assault force of two chapters and several imperial guard regiments are in route. They are expected to arrive in three days time.’ Then the static ended.

his helmet hid the grin that crossed his face., “Excellent we have maybe a week or two before these orks are ready. If we can keep them bogged down here no imperial world will feel the taint of these vile creatures. Contact squad cloak and have them destroy the fuel station!” Almost as if the end of his transmission were a queue, two orks stumbled upon them.

The orks were fighting, as is usual for this foul race of xenos and after a few seconds stopped when they caught sight of the black armored warriors. However before either could say anything, two of the black warriors attacked and swiftly decapitated them. They then dragged the bodies so that they couldn’t be seen in the open. “Good work brothers, we must go this spot is no longer safe; move out!” The three man team left just as silent and unnoticed as they had arrived.

Back aboard the battle barge ’Zeus’s anger’, in the great chamber the entire chapter was assembled. From the greatest of warriors to the youngest scout’s all where here, all in all 600 Astarte’s were assembled. Veteran sergeant Navt was talking to a few of the other sergeants in the scout forces.

“So what do you think this mission is calos?” asked Boris.

Slightly agitated by the boy’s assumption,’ How the bloody hell should I know? All sergeant Navt said was it was an off world mission and that he was taking the four of us with him. Just because he came to us first doesn’t mean he told us everything.”

Before he could retort a giant door slammed open and the chapter master walked out and as one the chapter dropped to a knee and bowed their heads in respect.

The chapter master wore his ornate armor with his helmet off and in his hand. He walked the full length of the stage he was on before returning to the middle. “Brothers, welcome to our great hall! As many of you already know, at the end of this day we shall make way for the planet Nocs and to war!’ he had to stop as many of the warriors cheered in anticipation. “We have learnt from our brother Astarte’s of the raven guard chapter that a vast and powerful Ork wag is almost ready to be set loose upon the Imperium.”

Now walking around, ‘This we cannot allow. For if what our clandestine brothers say is true, the wag is at least 30,000 xeno’s strong. Great numbers require a great response so the entire combat power of the invaders and three companies of the raven guard will link up with us on site. Also several imperial guard regiments will join us. The orks don’t have the decency to know the honor that it will be to battle us.”

“Now the basic plan as of now for us will be this. We will insert a few scout squads to link up with the raven guard teams on the planet. Due to the large numbers of enemy I want the all devastator squads armed with multiple heavy bolters. Everyone else is free to their choice for armament. We will thin the enemy numbers out as best we can with orbital bombardment.”

Returning to the center, ‘many of you have fought these foul xenos before and know that they can be extremely difficult to kill, so ensure you remove it s head for a kill and be sure of it. Now… ‘Drawing the power sword from his side and raising it to the sky. “Strike like lightning!”

All the assembled warriors pounded their chest and in unison replied with, ‘Crash with thunder!”

“Excellent now all warriors make preparations for warp jump, we leave in two hours.” With that he turned around and left to make his plans.

Amongst the crowd the sergeants began forming up battle plans with the squad they lead.

Archived