[WIP] Ultramarines 4th Company Hvy Recon [LPC]

D6Veteran

Thanks for the weathering info. I have one question and one criticism. The question; do you use a spray sealer on the weathered models to prevent the weathering pigments from rubbing off when you handle them? The criticism; the captain on the left has his bolt pistol turned on it's side. I know it is nit picky and they are your models but i was never a fan of that type of pose, it looks cool and gangster in the movies but it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing a highly trained killing machine would do. The rest of your work is very realistic and gritty though,, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback brothers.

I need to fill in the final steps, which would answer your question brother mikhail.

Yes, the final step is a matte finish. That seals the pigments, and will also tone them down a bit. I also use a pigment fixer, which is like a clear wash, to fix areas that I want to ensure stay put, and I do that at the time of pigment application.

On the criticism. Honestly I am really unhappy with that Captain for a number of reasons and he's been shelved. I'm not sure if re-positioning the pistol would save him for me (I was going for a John Woo nod). I can't really decide what it is that isn't singing with me. Maybe I'll start with the re-positioning the pistol and see if I feel like finishing it.

Thanks for the feedback brothers.

I need to fill in the final steps, which would answer your question brother mikhail.

Yes, the final step is a matte finish. That seals the pigments, and will also tone them down a bit. I also use a pigment fixer, which is like a clear wash, to fix areas that I want to ensure stay put, and I do that at the time of pigment application.

On the criticism. Honestly I am really unhappy with that Captain for a number of reasons and he's been shelved. I'm not sure if re-positioning the pistol would save him for me (I was going for a John Woo nod). I can't really decide what it is that isn't singing with me. Maybe I'll start with the re-positioning the pistol and see if I feel like finishing it.

I think the problem with the captain might be that you have used most of the parts in making him that people usually associate with the company champion characters. The helmet, chest and shoulder armor without a "standard" sword and shield weapon combo just looks off to me. I think repositioning the pistol and changing out the lightning claw would drastically improve the model. Just my two cents anyway.

• 1 year later...

What I love about these UM's is that you went with the pale blue that ultramarine blue is supposed to be like, these tones remind me of a romanistic style of army that the ultramarines are. Great job, i've always been kinda iffy on the entire 'regal blue/um blue (1:1 mind you)' ultra's that our pimped on box art now adays, but then again it does help the new gold trims contrast a litte more.

Great work ;)

Archived