A noble death

The emperors chosen

The Cadian System 999.M41

A hole appeared in space, a portal into the demon infested realm of The Warp. A vast object, the size of a moon, exited it, entering space for the first time in millennia. Visible were various ships of different sizes, both human and alien, that had crashed aboard it. A dark alien intelligence stirred for the first time in ages, awakened from its hiatus from the galaxy in The Warp. It sensed a presence on the planet below, and began to awaken, ready to wreck havoc on the galaxy again

One week later

The Strike Cruiser exited The Warp, ethereal lighting heralding its arrival. Along its bow, the words The Emperor’s Judgment were clearly visible, along with the stylized “I” of the Inquisition. Guns bristled from its steel hull, highlighted against the darkness of space.

A Thunderhawk exited the Strike Cruiser, making its way toward the Space Hulk, a black sliver against a blackness of space, ready to deliver its deadly payload.

“Captain, I’ve detected a suitable entry point. It’s an imperial cruiser... should be coming up on the starboard side,” said Julius, glancing up from the display, one of two pilots on The Thunderhawk. The display’s green light bathed his black armor in an unearthly glow, the various awards on his armor in stark contrast to the rest of it, the blue and white of his left shoulder pad standing out against his black armor.

“Thank you, Julius,” said Matthew, in the seat above him, maneuvering The Thunderhawk towards the ship Julius mentioned, the various lights on his display shining on the robe he wore over his armor, the sword of the Dark Angels resplendent on one side of him, the embossed “I” of the Inquisition on the other.

“Marines of the Deathwatch, report to launch bay, we will be landing in five minutes,” said Matthew into the comm on his helmet.

“That thing’s huge, it’s bigger than a moon,” one of the other marines said over the comm system.

“Quiet Adriel, I want comm silence at all times, understood?”

“Yes, Captain,” Adriel responded, a resigned tone to his voice.

“Captain, I’m detecting energy spikes all along the hulk, it appears to be weapon fire!” shouted Julius, typing furiously into his keypad.

The hulk seemed to come alive, weapon turrets turning to fire upon the Thunderhawk, the solid shot weapons of Imperial vessels joining the esoteric fire of alien weapons, all united in the attempt to destroy the holy vessel of the Adeptus Astartes.

An explosion rocked the vessel, almost knocking Matthew from his seat.

“Julius, what happened?” He shouted, trying to make himself heard over the klaxons and alarms going off.

“Sir, our right engine’s been hit, it’s barely functioning, If we had a techmarine, maybe it could be fixed, but we need to make a crash landing if we want any hope of getting out of this.”

“Julius, adjust our engines, try to land for the hulk!” shouted Matthew over the clanging of the alarms,while aiming the heavy bolters at the hulk, trying in vain to take out some of the weapons targeting them, the report of the heavy bolters joining the gunfire from the hulk.

“Marines of the Deathwatch, prepare for a forced combat drop. I repeat, a forced combat drop,” Matthew said into his comm, the hulk getting closer by the second.

“Julius, what’s going on down there!” exclaimed Matthew, attempting to land The Thunderhawk while there was some of it left.

“Sir, ceramite levels are at fifty percent, she can’t take much more of this!”

Suddenly The Thunderhawk slammed into the hulk,the ceramite scraping against the steel of ships that had laid undisturbed for millennia. The ship finally stopped, coming to rest against a Xenos vessel of mystifying origins.

“Sound off!” Matthew said into the comm in his armor, hoping that at least some of his squad had survived. It gave him a small amount of pleasure to see five green acknowledgment lights flash on in his helmet.

‘Well Sir, that was... interesting,” Julius said, picking himself up for where he had fallen over in the crash.

“Aye, I just hope The Thunderhawk can take off again. Now come on, the rest of the squad is expecting us,” Matthew replied, making his way toward the launch bay.

“I’m getting the feeling that whatever was operating those guns doesn’t like us,” murmured Julius, falling in line behind Matthew.

This is the first part of a story I had written for the BL competition, tell me if you like it, if you don't e.t.c, thanks ^_^

It's good I love the deathwatch, bring together all the best skills and worst traits of the astrates together. I'm interested and seeing just what is onboard the hulk.

But you should probably change the title, that one has already been copyrighted by black library. Only in death the 11th or 12th book in the Gaunts Ghost series. (My favorite warhammer series)

Nope, its good, except you havn't talked about what chapter each marine calls its home. I take it that is a later part though as this is building the action for an event.

Being in the process of writing my own Deathwatch story it is hard to keep coming up with new threats for the marines to face.

Good look with the BL competition though.

Archived