Of Daemons and Portals

Ntin

I started to write up an analysis on why Codex: Chaos Daemons is underrepresented in the community but it rapidly became tl;dr. Short version, I think Gamesworkshop created a bland rule set with questionable model point cost from the 3rd edition daemon bomb tactic. Hypothetically speaking what would make Chaos Daemons “competitive” but within line with the other 5th edition codices?

My short list:

Better deep strike mechanic: Codices are getting a risk free deep strike method which is somewhat frustrating. At the very least I would like to see the Soul Grinder get the drop pod or Trygon/Mawlow treatment. If army had some other random mechanic like on a reserve roll of 6 they gain fleet and can assault I think it would alleviate the sitting duck syndrome.

Model costs: 5th edition is very troop oriented and it is difficult to be competitive when every troop is at a premium price with less than M.E.Q. stat lines. I would not discount that a -/5+ has its strengths but I think the troops and fast attacks could benefit from a small point reduction excluding the Plaguebearers which are actually more resilient than a Space Marine to bolter fire.

Dedicated lists: Not really a issue of effectiveness but it would be nice if mono-list had a small benefit like a pure lists like Slaanesh rending on a 5-6, Khorne +2A on charge, Tzeentch reroll fail 1’s on shooting, and Nurgle counter-attack. A multi-god list has all the benefits of taking their choice of units but a mono-god list would specialize in their own theme. Aligned Soulgrinders would be neat as well, Slaanesh/Khorne with better WS, Khorne +1A, Slaanesh +1/2 I, Tzeentch better BS, can move like jump infantry, and Nurgle has the Venerable Dreadnought style reroll.

Ancient Daemons: Greater Daemons are just not that scary for their point costs, especially after Codex: Tyranids. They are by no stretch of the imagination bad but we are talking about major manifestations of Chaos. If an option was there to upgrade state line to a more powerful Greater Daemon could add more impact to the unit.

Archived