BA Army Expansion + Chapter Fortress

Angelus Mortifer

Ok. So the pics below are of the new wall that comes out at right angles to the gateway sections that I mentioned earlier. The doorway in the lower middle will be pretty much opposite the doorway on the side facades of the Angel Tower. This new wall section will essentially be the start (and inner part) of a double height, double-breasted Bastion annex that will sit on either side of the gateway assembly and yes... you got to love more skulls :(

Bastion Annex Inner Lower Wall

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/BastionAnnexInnerWallLower.jpg

Bastion Annex Inner Upper Wall

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/BastionAnnexInnerWallUpper-1.jpg

Bastion Annex Complete Inner Wall

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/BastionAnnexInnerWallComplete.jpg

This is only a complete section for one side of the fortress; I will have to repeat the inner wall to go on the opposite side of the gateway (which is the next thing to do) so that I can start the right hand Bastion Annex.

Initial gateway assembly pics to follow, which will show this inner wall in place and attached to one of the gateway sections...

Another great update again looking truly awesome. Sorry to be a bugbear but can I ask how you do the gold on the skulls? My gold always looks super tacky thus I avoid it (and replace gold with bone in my colour scheme).

Only criticism I can make is the flat red sections behind the scrolls. Have you considered giving them a wash with some thin brown ink? Perhaps this personal preference but I feel it would add something by deepening the red and it would suit the style better. Maybe also the BA symbols could do with some attention to make them stand out but again probably personal preference.

In general though I am still in absolute awe of this project, keep up the good work!

...how you do the gold on the skulls?

- Basecoat of black (or black primer works just as well).

- 1st layer is a 50/50 mix of Shining Gold and Scorched Brown covering most of the skull, barring sockets.

- 2nd layer is pure Shining Gold on all raised areas but leaving the 1st layer showing in the recesses.

- Highlight with a 50/50 mix of Shining Gold and Mithril Silver.

- (you can go back to the extreme recesses, like the sockets, and use a 50/50 mix of Chaos Black and Scorched Brown, which I sometimes do).

Only criticism I can make is the flat red sections behind the scrolls. Have you considered giving them a wash with some thin brown ink? Perhaps this personal preference but I feel it would add something by deepening the red and it would suit the style better. Maybe also the BA symbols could do with some attention to make them stand out but again probably personal preference.

Yeah, those areas are a bit "flat" but I wanted a logical contrast colour, and it also matches the same tone of red I use for the army (or thereabouts). The poor lighting and camera takes a bit off what you're actually seeing but I'm hoping small sections like that won't be as noticeable once the whole thing is finished. I can always do a watered down wash on them even at the end if needs be, plus any additional highlights I suppose... (believe it or not I'm trying to keep things to a minimum :( ).

Pics of some of the now assembled sections as promised.

Left Gateway Annex

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/LeftBastionAnnexGateway.jpg

Left Gateway Support

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/LeftAnnexRearSupport.jpg

An otherwise unplanned for benefit of the gateway conversion section is that it is the perfect dimension for a Dreadnought. Given the rumoured abundance of Dread options in the forthcoming 'dex these doorways could come in pretty handy. A rule for the custom PS Mission I'm doing for this piece is that any Dreads kept in reserve, and specifically set to come on from the Fortress table edge, may do so through the Fortress doors (along with all types of infantry of course) :P

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/GatewayDreadScale1.jpg

Not fully assembled yet, but the overall Fortress entrance is starting to take shape. You can get a better idea now of how the central support wall interacts with the Angel Tower base.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/GatewayAssembly1.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/GatewayAssembly2.jpg

I'm not sure when the next pic update will be seeing as I have to now replicate the Inner Annex Wall for the right hand side, but once that is done I'll be moving onto the annexes themselves. Here's a quick preview to give you an idea of shape and scale.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/LeftGatewayBastionAnnex1.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/LeftGatewayBastionAnnex2.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/LeftBastionAnnexScale.jpg

Those BA symbols are popping now and the red instantly looks better in my eyes when you place some of your models next to it as I can see it all fitting together.

Just how big is this going to be when it's done though? Looks epic as it is!

I like the idea of the Honoram Pro Sanguinus, can I borrow the idea but say "In Honoram Pro Dron?"

:P No problem - it's not like I've copyrighted anything... (...and I assume you mean Dorn? :) )

Just how big is this going to be when it's done though? Looks epic as it is!

It's going to be pretty large!

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/SebJones_photos/BA%20Chapter%20Fortress/LeftGatewayBastionAnnex1.jpg

If you use this pic as the basis, and measure everything in terms of the width of a single CoD wall section, you have on one side going away from the main tower:

Gateway section (2 CoDs)

Bastion wall (2 CoDs)

There will then be a single CoD section next (1 CoD)

followed by another Bastion wall (2 CoDs)

...so that is 7 CoD sections, duplicated on the other side, with the Angel Tower taking up 3 in the middle - for a total of 17 CoD sections in width. This is the middle level of the Fortress though, and all that I've built so far will actually sit on top of the ground floor level, which will be 19 CoD sections in width. I hope that makes sense.

Then of course there's the height of the thing... ;) (I do have a full sketch pretty much done, but that would spoil what's yet to come :) )

...so that is 7 CoD sections, duplicated on the other side, with the Angel Tower taking up 3 in the middle - for a total of 17 CoD sections in width. This is the middle level of the Fortress though, and all that I've built so far will actually sit on top of the ground floor level, which will be 19 CoD sections in width. I hope that makes sense.

I think I'm going to faint.

:lol: your a bad man Angelus Mortifer, your making me want to build on my own terrain again :P

:lol: You might want to try something not quite as monumental though - it is already bloody frustrating that I'm making good progress but that there is so much still to do..

I've basically got between now and early April when the new 'dex drops to hopefully finish the middle section (levels 2+3) as much as possible (maybe barring details and aesthetic bits and bobs). If I can at least get the structure done I'll be happy, because then I'll be splitting time between this and 2nd Company army expansion :)

well i wont be doing much 40k wise (except stalk these forums offcourse :lol:) this week cause il be redecorating my room heavily. the project ive got an eye on is a big churchlike building. maybe even adding a shrine to our beloved angel (not sure on that yet, well see :lol:)

your work is very awesome though, inspiring and a good indication that youve got a deep love for the chapter :) hows the wife/girlfriend handling this btw? :P

hows the wife/girlfriend handling this btw? :D

The wife likes calling me a "nerd" for my hobby, but definitely prefers it over me sitting in front of the PS3 or 360 for hours on end. I don't think she realises exactly what it is I'm building though - she thinks it's a "little house for my little men"...! No honey, "it's a fri66ing fortress of immense size; packed to the rafters with heavy ordnance and defensive firepower to make the sternest assailant whimper; multiple ramparts, docking bays, and sensor arrays are not even the half of it... and all of this wrapped up in the livery and iconography of the proudest and most noble Chapter mankind has ever seen............. how are you not getting this" :angry:

...her response... :P

Really inspiring. I have a couple other projects to finish first but your Fortress of Immense Size has made me move my Redemption kit up the chain. Looking massive and sweet and full of BadassAwesome!

I hope you can work with a local store or tournament to get the finished piece in front of the public. This is the kind of stuff you usually only get to see at GamesDay. Thanks for putting in the extra effort to show us the WIP.

Really inspiring. I have a couple other projects to finish first but your Fortress of Immense Size has made me move my Redemption kit up the chain. Looking massive and sweet and full of BadassAwesome!

I hope you can work with a local store or tournament to get the finished piece in front of the public. This is the kind of stuff you usually only get to see at GamesDay. Thanks for putting in the extra effort to show us the WIP.

No worries teeef, happy to share and hope people are interested.

The impending Codex is perhaps the saving grace in getting this thing off the ground to be fair. Given that I'm holding fire on any changes to my army until I have the book in front of me, it's given me the chance to get it started. Now that it's underway, I won't allow myself to stall on it (even if I have to alternate between this and the army after April) because there's nothing worse than a half finished project... at least for me :cuss .

hows the wife/girlfriend handling this btw? :D

The wife likes calling me a "nerd" for my hobby, but definitely prefers it over me sitting in front of the PS3 or 360 for hours on end. I don't think she realises exactly what it is I'm building though - she thinks it's a "little house for my little men"...! No honey, "it's a fri66ing fortress of immense size; packed to the rafters with heavy ordnance and defensive firepower to make the sternest assailant whimper; multiple ramparts, docking bays, and sensor arrays are not even the half of it... and all of this wrapped up in the livery and iconography of the proudest and most noble Chapter mankind has ever seen............. how are you not getting this" :)

...her response... :)

haha love it :D but if she married you im sure she can live with you somehow right? :rolleyes: btw why not send a picture to GW? perhaps they are willing to have it in the new dex (if it isent finished already anyhow)

btw why not send a picture to GW? perhaps they are willing to have it in the new dex (if it isent finished already anyhow)

The 'dex will be finished by now and certainly at the printers - the fortress is nowhere near completed, at least not for decent pics - and besides, no chance anyway :jaw:

poo! at least they could post it up on that daily news letter thingy that they got going, to make some people jealous and start projects of their own :rolleyes: or inspire them to make one, whetever applies to them i guess....

anyway its still an amazing project and sharing it with as much people as possible would be a good thing; if only to show you the praise you deserve m8 ;)

Really outstanding work ^_^

Greatly enjoying watching your progress. Slightly off topic question but I couldn't help notice your superb DC Dred in one of the pics. He seems taller than other FW Chap Dreds, is that just a trick achieved by good posing? Also what did you make that excellent banner out of?

Archived