IA: The Frost Wyrms

Brother_Kaelgrim

Could work. I'm actually making my way through A Thousand Sons and the way the 1k Sons operate and approach learning/combat might be a huge influence here.

I find that book pretty much rubbish, bu thats besides the point.

What is the focus of the studying going to be? Answer that and you get what ties it all together.

The book overall is alright I spose, gives a nice glimpse into the workings of the 1k sons.

The studying is on philosophy, history, and law. Kind of a how can we defend the Imperium if we do not understand how the Imperium operates and interacts with us idea.

In the Introduction, you would use Salamanders' instead of Salamander's. That is "would," because the whole thing needs to be more of a teaser for some kind of dramatic interest later in the article, instead of what it is now.

It owes this peaceful existence to the sheltering presence of the Wyrms. Outside of the peaceful poles, the world is a savage and harsh place to be. Massive frost wyrms, great predators with two heads and scales as tough as ceramite, stalk the wastes, devouring any who dare venture alone.

This is :D The difference between Wyrms and wyrms is not great enough.

The psyker-forecasting doctrine still does not mean enough.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of a revised homeworld look. Here is what is currently floating around in my head.

Galcia Primaris is a world ravaged by howling ice storms and inhabited by fearsome frost wyrms that stalk the frozen wastes with scales as tough as ceramite and as crafty as an eldar. The people of Galcia Primaris have built a rich culture and civilization deep within the heart of the planet's mountains. A unique product of ancient terraforming efforts done to the planet created vast caverns lit by luminous mosses and reflected by gems and crystals set in the ceiling. Within these caverns there is a temperate climate that allows the Galcians to maintain lush gardens and forests. The Galcians have a long history of philosophy and learning as their primary task is to oversee the massive geothermal plants that power their cities, a task which while important leaves much time for introspective thought. As a result, many monastic orders and centers of learning have sprung up in the cities that lie sheltered in the mountains. One such order is the Templarum Glacium, a group of warrior scholars who often trek out into the wastes and learn the ways of the frost wyrm, the most fearsome predator of Galcia Primaris. It is from this group that many of the Frost Wyrms' recruits are pulled, the tests of initiation for the order proving to be an excellent method for producing hardy recruits. It is this order that often works closest with the enigmatic Space Marines on Galcia, the two groups finding much common ground while discussing the philosophy of war.

What do you guys think?

I'm also thinking of revising the chapter's combat doctrine and beefing up their personality. I was a bit inspired by the Frost Wyrm over in the Stonebound write up as he was alot more focused and calm than I really had them in my head to be. And thats a good thing.

I'm also thinking of developing the duty towards mankind thing a bit better. I'm thinking of having them puzzled by mankind but understanding that they must protect human life where ever possible. Not so much out of compassion but out of a logical "this is right so I must do it" mindset.

A sneak peek

The methods of warfare the Frost Wyrms employ draws heavily from the writings and ideology of the Templarum Glacium, particularly their most honored work the Jethveri Talvar, or in Low Gothic, The way of the frozen wyrm. This work seeks to mimic the frightening hunting techniques of Galcia's deadliest predator, the frost wyrm. While its scales are as resilient as ceramite and its bite is capable of ripping through steel, it is not the largest or strongest creature on Galica Primaris. What makes this creature so deadly is its ability to use the land as a weapon. A frost wyrm crafts deadly ambushes and snares to whittle down a foes strength, opening small wounds on its prey and letting its body heat drain out in the blasted wastes of the tundra. Like the frost wyrm, the Templarum are masters of guerilla warfare, often training the local Guard regiments in their ways. When these teachings are practiced by the Astartes, it becomes a whole new level of combat. The Frost Wyrms often employ their librarians to stir up harsh weather patterns to scatter foes, slow advances and grind down numbers from lack of supplies. When this is not enough, they often lead foes into dead end valleys and deep pits, where the Space marines butcher them with impunity. The chapter often employs its techmarines to these tasks, using the brother's mechanical aptitude to construct walls and snares in swift succession.

When forced to fight in unprepared terrain or when they have need to storm a fortress, the chapter often employs the elite terminator company, the Jotunvir, to lead the charge and draw attention away from the swiftly outflanking battle brothers. The Frost Wyrms favor a balanced approach to combat, each brother being an able swordsman as well as a fearsome marksman. In keeping with the chapter's calm and tactical approach to battle, the brothers often eschew the idea of charging into combat unless terrain favors them. A Frost Wyrm will prefer to hold his ground whenever possible and thin the foe with bolter before purging him with blessed chainsword.

What do you guys think? Better?

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I must've missed these guys last time.

Let's see what insight I can provide, if any.

I'm also thinking of revising the chapter's combat doctrine and beefing up their personality. I was a bit inspired by the Frost Wyrm over in the Stonebound write up as he was alot more focused and calm than I really had them in my head to be. And thats a good thing.

You had a chapter called the Frost Wyrms who live on an ice planet and you didn't want them to be cold and efficient? :Elite:

The methods of warfare the Frost Wyrms employ draws heavily from the writings and ideology of the Templarum Glacium, particularly their most honored work the Jethveri Talvar, or in Low Gothic, The way of the frozen wyrm. This work seeks to mimic the frightening hunting techniques of Galcia's deadliest predator, the frost wyrm. While its scales are as resilient as ceramite and its bite is capable of ripping through steel, it is not the largest or strongest creature on Galica Primaris. What makes this creature so deadly is its ability to use the land as a weapon. A frost wyrm crafts deadly ambushes and snares to whittle down a foes strength, opening small wounds on its prey and letting its body heat drain out in the blasted wastes of the tundra. Like the frost wyrm, the Templarum are masters of guerilla warfare, often training the local Guard regiments in their ways. When these teachings are practiced by the Astartes, it becomes a whole new level of combat. The Frost Wyrms often employ their librarians to stir up harsh weather patterns to scatter foes, slow advances and grind down numbers from lack of supplies. When this is not enough, they often lead foes into dead end valleys and deep pits, where the Space marines butcher them with impunity. The chapter often employs its techmarines to these tasks, using the brother's mechanical aptitude to construct walls and snares in swift succession.

Grinding down numbers and supplies with weather conditions? What sort of battles are you fighting? For the most part Astartes end fights quickly and brutally where possible, rather than protracting the conflict and letting enemies run low on supplies. If supply-killing has got to stay in, why not use the weather as a diversion so the FW can attack supply lines and cut them off the ol'-fashioned way?

Mechanical aptitude doesn't neccesarily translate into the ability to quickly build walls. :)

Perhaps you could just have the FW so they're generally adept at impromptu fortifications, quickly turning what seems like useless rubble and debris into a defensible position that can be held by a few against many.

When forced to fight in unprepared terrain or when they have need to storm a fortress, the chapter often employs the elite terminator company, the Jotunvir, to lead the charge and draw attention away from the swiftly outflanking battle brothers. The Frost Wyrms favor a balanced approach to combat, each brother being an able swordsman as well as a fearsome marksman. In keeping with the chapter's calm and tactical approach to battle, the brothers often eschew the idea of charging into combat unless terrain favors them. A Frost Wyrm will prefer to hold his ground whenever possible and thin the foe with bolter before purging him with blessed chainsword.

Nice. Perhaps you could have something about marines being rotated through tactical, assault and devastator companies whilst in the reserves, contributing to the balanced skillset.

The new stuff looks pretty good, all in all.

Looking forward to seeing what other changes you have in mind. :FA:

For some reason I had in my head the chapter's Techmarines utilizing special building equipment and modifying servitors to get walls built up quickly.

I have in my mind that they've been fighting a guerilla action in their sector due to heavy Chaos incursions darting from planet to planet. The Chaos forces are lacking in a centralized command structure to strike at, and many of the worlds in the Galcian system have wide desolate areas that the Wyrms can strike from and fade back into. A way to keep the young chapter's numbers up. I've also been toying with the idea that these hit and run attacks, combined with Chaos meddling, have made them start to lose bits of armor and weaponry and they've only been able to resolve that issue lately with a Black Templar crusade coming to their aid. This will also segue into the idea that after fighting alongside the Templars, they acquit themselves well enough to take on some Templar heraldry, which is good as the models I've painted up for them using Templar bitz. (I'll be posting those as soon as I can take pics of em)

For some reason I had in my head the chapter's Techmarines utilizing special building equipment and modifying servitors to get walls built up quickly.

Put like that... :woot:

I have in my mind that they've been fighting a guerilla action in their sector due to heavy Chaos incursions darting from planet to planet. The Chaos forces are lacking in a centralized command structure to strike at, and many of the worlds in the Galcian system have wide desolate areas that the Wyrms can strike from and fade back into. A way to keep the young chapter's numbers up. I've also been toying with the idea that these hit and run attacks, combined with Chaos meddling, have made them start to lose bits of armor and weaponry and they've only been able to resolve that issue lately with a Black Templar crusade coming to their aid. This will also segue into the idea that after fighting alongside the Templars, they acquit themselves well enough to take on some Templar heraldry, which is good as the models I've painted up for them using Templar bitz. (I'll be posting those as soon as I can take pics of em)

I'd advise against that, speaking personally. You don't need any writing to justify use of Black Templar models, and adding it to the IA will just read like an excuse to use the odd BT model.

Just have the heraldry be something from the homeworld. There's only so many designs out there after all. :tu:

Actually I pulled the idea from Helsreach. Some of the pilots were given the right to wear the Templar cross as a mark of honor. The idea is that the Templar both provide newer suits of armor and new supplies for the ailing chapter as well as giving them the right to wear the Templar cross for their staunch defense of their sector and their unwillingness to give up.

Which would be another slight nod to Helsreach as

The Shadow Wolves chapter is remembered by Grimaldus as a valiant chapter and he fought alongside them as their entire chapter fell. He recounts it as a glorious event, a war that was pure and honorable.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty time for another quick preview on the next part I plan on writing up.

I want to tie the Templar in as I cannot see a younger chapter lasting too long against relentless Chaos incursions. My idea is that the Wyrms start out strong but catch word of a massive Chaos warband that will hit the system. Knowing that they will be unable to handle the heretics in a full assault even with PDF and IG support, the Wyrms swallow their pride and work to relocate the majority of the Galcian system to the massive cities under the mountains. The cities can't be seen from orbit and are shielded from detection. The Wyrms then undertake a massive building project to create facsimile's of Fortress Monastaries all over the system, so they can fool the warband into attacking those instead of the true one on Galcia Primaris.

With this in place, they undertake a guerilla war, harassing the Chaos forces and destroying them whenever possible. Over time, the Wyrm's equipment degrades and they come close to being unable to equip their marines in a suitable fashion. During this time, warp storms prevent Imperial forces from reinforcing the beleaguered chapter, yet the Black Templars hear the call for aid and are able to send a fleet through a gap in the storms. The Templars begin a series of lightning strikes on the Chaos camps and one by one the Galcian planets are retaken. The Templar are able to supply the Wyrms with new wargear and repair their armor and weapons. (this is why I have used BT bitz on my Frost Wyrms, pics forthcoming)

Does this sound plausible? I think it is a great way to show the Wyrm's skills at harassment and guerilla warfare. A bit similar to the stories of Shrike operating behind enemy lines.

Alrighty time for another quick preview on the next part I plan on writing up.

I want to tie the Templar in as I cannot see a younger chapter lasting too long against relentless Chaos incursions. My idea is that the Wyrms start out strong but catch word of a massive Chaos warband that will hit the system. Knowing that they will be unable to handle the heretics in a full assault even with PDF and IG support, the Wyrms swallow their pride and work to relocate the majority of the Galcian system to the massive cities under the mountains. The cities can't be seen from orbit and are shielded from detection. The Wyrms then undertake a massive building project to create facsimile's of Fortress Monastaries all over the system, so they can fool the warband into attacking those instead of the true one on Galcia Primaris.

With this in place, they undertake a guerilla war, harassing the Chaos forces and destroying them whenever possible. Over time, the Wyrm's equipment degrades and they come close to being unable to equip their marines in a suitable fashion. During this time, warp storms prevent Imperial forces from reinforcing the beleaguered chapter, yet the Black Templars hear the call for aid and are able to send a fleet through a gap in the storms. The Templars begin a series of lightning strikes on the Chaos camps and one by one the Galcian planets are retaken. The Templar are able to supply the Wyrms with new wargear and repair their armor and weapons. (this is why I have used BT bitz on my Frost Wyrms, pics forthcoming)

Does this sound plausible? I think it is a great way to show the Wyrm's skills at harassment and guerilla warfare. A bit similar to the stories of Shrike operating behind enemy lines.

I know you're pretty set on the Templar assistance, but I'm not really sold on it. I just don't see the two chapters working together well. Fiery zeal and cold calculated skill do not play nice. :jaw:

There's lots of other ways to incorporate the Templar's symbol with your chapter. It could be an old symbol from Galcia Primaris' royal lines, or perhaps even just a commonly used device on the homeworld to mark things of great importance.

That said, if you stick with the idea you've got now, it doesn't actually sound that bad.

I like the decoy-monastery approach. Very devious. :jaw:

Originally I would not have paired the Templar up with the Wyrms as working together well, but after reading Helsreach and studying up on them a bit more, I think I have a better feel for the Templar mindset. I was particularly inspired by Grimaldus' account of the last stand of the Shadow Wolves chapter and how that inspired him.

The reason I could see the two working together well now is two-fold. Firstly, the Wyrms have figured out how to constantly take the fight to their enemy, crushing them whenever possible. The Wyrms are not afraid to sell their lives to continue their cause, but its for glory and for their home system. Two, the Wyrms have not handicapped themselves by letting mortal men dictate their battles. They decided to relocate their system's people into the Galcian Primaris cities and they decided how the war was to be fought. They fight as Astartes should fight, lightning quick raids and striking at the heart of the Chaos incursion. Not cowering behind bunkers and awaiting the end.

I'm trying to temper the Wyrm's compassion and humanity a bit with the idea that while they see themselves as humanity's protectors, they also believe that they know what is best in the theater of war and will not flinch from situations that require a cold heart and a firm hand. This distances themselves a bit from their parent chapter, as I believe the Salamanders in this situation would try to build up the Galcian defenses and save as many lives as they could. I might write some bits in about the Wyrms asking that groups of PDF or guardsmen garrison the left behind cities to lure Chaos to them so that the Wyrms can crush the intruders. Such an action would be beyond countenance for the Salamanders, as it endangers human lives, but for the Wyrms or for the Templar? Necessary action.

I am pretty set on the idea, but I would welcome further ideas on how to make it believable and make it fight right.

• 4 months later...
Sorry for the thread necro, but after reading through this, I am very interested to know if you've added more. I like the fluff so far and am tempted to create an army using this chapter and possibly some Salamanders. Thanks and I look forward to learning more :)

Archived