Maxing out on Terminators

Golindar

I thought about using the Dark Angels codex to create a "counts as" deathwing assault list. I have a captain in terminator model that I would use for a "counts as Belial" then I was going to max out on deathwing terminators. Then I was told that Deathwing Terminators with storm sheilds to not get a 3+ invulnerable save, but instead get a 4+ invulnerable only in close combat. After flipping through the DA codex, this was confirmed. I also read that their cyclone missle launchers fire just like a regular missle launcher, meaning a heavy 1 rather than the heavy 2 that the codex: space marines get to enjoy. I never played 4th edition, but I assume it wasn't until the 5th edition codes that Space Marines got better storm shields and cyclone missle launchers than the Dark Angels.

Our storm shields are indeed rubbish compared to codex marines. We do however have an apothecary which allows us to ignore a failed save (of any sort, with a few exceptions) from any unit within six inches. Terminators always have a 5++ don't forget. I'd probably also question running TH/SS squads on foot - unless you've got some fleet shenanigans going on they're easily avoided by your opponent.

CMLs are also indeed Heavy 1 instead of 2, but are also 10pts less. Most people tend to use Ass Cans or Heavy Flamers (if coming out of a Raider). I sometimes use CMLs If I'm tight on points, or if I'm a bit limited in range.

Deathwing can also have mixed squads unlike Codex Terminators, and can also have a banner which gives everyone in it's squad +1 Attacks.

Our storm shields are indeed rubbish compared to codex marines. We do however have an apothecary which allows us to ignore a failed save (of any sort, with a few exceptions) from any unit within six inches. Terminators always have a 5++ don't forget. I'd probably also question running TH/SS squads on foot - unless you've got some fleet shenanigans going on they're easily avoided by your opponent.

CMLs are also indeed Heavy 1 instead of 2, but are also 10pts less. Most people tend to use Ass Cans or Heavy Flamers (if coming out of a Raider). I sometimes use CMLs If I'm tight on points, or if I'm a bit limited in range.

Deathwing can also have mixed squads unlike Codex Terminators, and can also have a banner which gives everyone in it's squad +1 Attacks.

Thanks Bartali. You make a very good point about the TH/SS termies being easily avoided. I thought that perhaps I could combat squad them and use them to herd my opponent into a poor position, dare my opponent to stray into rapid fire range, use them as counter assault should my objective be contested, or use them to clear my opponent off of an objective. The survivability of storm shield terminators cannot be overlooked, and while they will only threaten 2 12" radii, I can drop a squad close enough to an objective to force my opponent to shoot at them with whatever they have.

I've always felt with assault Termies that the advantages of striking at initiative with some models can sometimes make a huge difference if dealing with a unit with many models. Think of it as insurance against a really lousy combat where somehow that unit of kroot or IG rifle butt you to death. I know that my Termie armor sometimes seems to be made out of papier mache :P

Archived