Question on the Dark King

Lord Draco

Not for certain, and there is nothing in the story to make in clear.

The Night Lords role in the HH is a very confusing timeline. Night Haunter obviously runs off after this encounter and is a bit suspect, but Dorn calls for the Night Lords Legion to go to Istvaan as a loyalist against Horus - they turn traitor - but are not obviously outcast at this time because of that call.

So either:

Some time has passed and there has been reconcilliation. So it might be up to a couple of years easily.

or

Dorn assumes Night Haunter has gone off on his own and is just calling the legion without Primarch (or so he thinks) - this could be days, weeks, months who knows?

There are ways of explaining the contradictions - and believe me I've simplified the story arc here - but none of them truly hang together. My thought is that Dorn, whilst not liking Night Haunter, does not entertain any thoughts of him being traitorous and calls me in anyway and the time period is a matter of months before the Heresy proper starts.

it was a good few years. In the lighting tower audio book Malcador says it was "long ago" and it has been referenced before that it was taking a long time for the arm of imperial law to reach out to Kurze after he destroyed his home world. The threat of the warmaster seemes to have forced the imperium to pardon Night Haunter. Read Soul Hunter when it comes out. I suspect that will answer a few questions as the author has made references to how fracked up the night lords time line is. maybe he will try and set it straight.

Read Soul Hunter when it comes out. I suspect that will answer a few questions as the author has made references to how fracked up the night lords time line is. maybe he will try and set it straight.

He was asked to write HH Night Lord novel, but he declined. One of the reasons was this broken timeline

The only thing I can possibly think to explain it, is that while Curze was seen to be rogue, he was still thought of as ultimately loyal to the Emperor. Nothing had given anyone cause to doubt him before that. So, Dorn thought he could count on the Night Haunter to oppose Horus.

Unfortunately, Night Haunter was a little more ticked off than they thought.

Read Soul Hunter when it comes out. I suspect that will answer a few questions as the author has made references to how fracked up the night lords time line is. maybe he will try and set it straight.

He was asked to write HH Night Lord novel, but he declined. One of the reasons was this broken timeline

I still might. But yeah, it was one of the reasons I don't like the idea. The timeline gets more and more screwed up as things are released. I'm mentioning this at the next HH meeting, but I'm not sure anyone knows how to fix it at this stage. Sometimes, it's just a fact that this stuff was made up by people as a cool set of events (and only as a vague mention) in the game's background, which makes them damn tough to turn into a realistic and cohesive storyline in the bigger picture.

The HH suffers a lot from this. People still think the Siege of Terra was right after the Dropsite Massacres, when it was 4 years of galactic civil war later. They don't think that because they're dumb. They think it because the published lore has always presented the entire conflict poorly. "COOL STUFF HAPPENS! (then nothing for 4 years...) THEN TERRA! BOOM!"

I still might. But yeah, it was one of the reasons I don't like the idea. The timeline gets more and more screwed up as things are released. I'm mentioning this at the next HH meeting, but I'm not sure anyone knows how to fix it at this stage. Sometimes, it's just a fact that this stuff was made up by people as a cool set of events (and only as a vague mention) in the game's background, which makes them damn tough to turn into a realistic and cohesive storyline in the bigger picture.

The HH suffers a lot from this. People still think the Siege of Terra was right after the Dropsite Massacres, when it was 4 years of galactic civil war later. They don't think that because they're dumb. They think it because the published lore has always presented the entire conflict poorly. "COOL STUFF HAPPENS! (then nothing for 4 years...) THEN TERRA! BOOM!"

Eep! I haven't run across any of your other posts here, but may I say I think it's cool that you read this board and listen to us fans. And without a major hi-jack, I'm REALLY looking forward to Helsreach. :P Your short in Heroes for the Crimson Fists was fantastic!

I do agree with A D-B, the HH does suffer from wonking timeline syndrome. I’m sure they will cover this 4 year gap between the drop site massacre and siege of terra as the series goes on, won’t they?

I just finished lisening to the dark king the audio book and i was wondering how long the events in the storey took place before the HH started? anyone know?
The Cheraut Incident was in 826.M29 and the Heresy began in earnest in 012.M31.

Note that the Scouring of Istvaan III and the Dropsite Massacre is sometime before this.

reference

I just finished lisening to the dark king the audio book and i was wondering how long the events in the storey took place before the HH started? anyone know?
The Cheraut Incident was in 826.M29 and the Heresy began in earnest in 012.M31.

Note that the Scouring of Istvaan III and the Dropsite Massacre is sometime before this.

reference

I don't understand how the Night Lords could had been sent after Horus (012.M31) after they were declared rogue :)

hence the confusion

Maybe the Emperor sent them like in a quest to reconquest their honor? "Curze, what you have done is pretty bad, but Horus is much more a concern now. So i'm sure Dorn will forget all about that fight if you prove that you are really at our side".

Is there more detail written on that order already, or that snippet of info is everything we have on the subject? It could save the boat from sinking :P

maybe the rouge Night Lords are better than the directly traitor Horus?

i just wonder what was going through Dorn's head when he sent the orders to Kruze...

WLK

Maybe them didn't even considering Curze's actions as treason, just some kind of heated argument between Primarchs, a clash of egos. The fact that his punishment was sending him to Segmentum Solar would reforce that point. The Emperor would lecture him, put him away from the Crusade for a while to cool his head and punish the Night Lords by preventing them from getting laurels in the battlefield for a couple of years.

it was pretty common for primarchs to argue. Kurze didn't want to, or didn't feel he needed to, use his perticular brand of control in the systems close to terra. The further a population is from it's govenment the more prone to rebellion it becomes. I like to subscribe to the theroy that the emperor was happy to let him get on with it. Afterall, he brought Lorgar to task for his beliefs and yet let Kurze carry on. The may have believed he was still loyal at his heart.

Archived