Chaos Daemons Deep Strike, Help!

Ayura

Hey guys!

Im new to Chaos Daemons, and just wanting to clarify the deep strike rule for them. As our group of friends seems to be at conflict about the idea.

My question:

Does the first wave enter the game from the table edge?

The Codex says :

First Wave:

The units that have been chosen to make the Daemonic Assault arrive on your first turn, using the deep strike rules.

- To me this says that they can enter anywere on the table and scatter using normal deep strike rules ? Correct?

Second Wave:

The remaining units are held in reserve and their arrival is rolled as normal. When the unit becomes available, it enters play by Deep Strike rules.

- To me this means that the second wave needs to roll a 4+ (normal turn 2 deep strike rule) to enter, and enters play same as first unit. Deep Striking.

So to me it seems like both waves deep strike using normal deep strike rules and not table edge. But i need clarificaion on this please!

(except for the first wave that automaticly comes into play turn 1)

Thanks for your time!

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

That is correct the first wave deploys using normal Deep Strike deployment rules. They can scatter and mishap as normal.

That is correct again, Deep Striking units are held in reserves and you must roll on the beginning of your turn to see if they become available.

- To me this says that they can enter anywere on the table and scatter using normal deep strike rules ? Correct?

- To me this means that the second wave needs to roll a 4+ (normal turn 2 deep strike rule) to enter, and enters play same as first unit. Deep Striking.

Correct on both.

Incorrect on the second. The first wave comes in as you expected. The rest do not come in as a wave; you have to roll for each individual unit from Turn 2 onwards.

Oh? so are you saying for example;

I have 3 squads on my second wave, i will have to roll 4+ on EACH squad for them to enter the game on turn 2? Not 4+ once for all the squads?

That is how reserves work! As it is, there are no "waves" per say. You pick half of your army to perform the Daemonic Assault and roll to see if you get it. The rest are simply in reserve, not a wave or anything like that.

1" distance rule + 7 result average of deep strike scatter distance = 8" distance from enemy models/impassible terrain when you deep strike.

About 10-30% chance the 1/3 chance to scatter towards bad targets if the only bad targets are in one direction from you. So roughly, 1/9 chance on average that the scatter will go badly if you abide by the 8" distance from the enemy when deep striking.

A good way to eyeball 8" is this:

People are highly aware of how long their hand is from the wrist to the middle fingertip. Measure your hand and guess how much more(or less!) equals 8" distance. Since it is not legal to measure before you place the models.

If a unit of 10 25mm(1") base size daemons comes into play, that will be one center model, six surrounding that model, and the others depending on the side you place them could mean one more inch towards the enemy/out of the way of danger. So thats 1", or 2" around the first model depending which side is the dangerous side. This will help you gauge how many models in a unit will be helpful for deep strike.

For example: a unit of 19 will be the center model and 2 full rings around that model. A unit of 20 will have one more model to place for a good +3" towards an enemy if you scatter badly. (8" from the enemy, scatter 7" away and it actually becomes 12" from them)

Here's the breaker though. You can RUN after deep striking.

(Remember, a unit of 20 daemons you add +2" to the 8" distance because you break the 8" distance)

So that 12" distance? Becomes 11" to 6" from the enemy.. Yeah, they have to use the run rule to get away when 20 daemons are about to charge them next turn.

So what if you scatter close to the enemy and somewhat badly? Start the ring that ends up dying at the end on the opposite side, closest to the enemy.

-OO (Enemy)

OOO*

-OO

Small example, start the ring where the * is and go clockwise with the ring when placing the models.

So, at the very least, you can minimise the damage and hassle of deep strike.

Archived