Fulgrim comments

travh20

I just got done reading Fulgrim, and I liked it. It started out pretty dang slow but it got really good around half way through. Although, I think if the dispensed with all the "It was such an honor just to be in the room with the living god...." the books would be about 20 pages shorter! Anyway.

I was thinking about the drop site massacre at the end. If the loyalist Raven Guard, Iron Hands and Salamanders were in orbit free and clear above the enemy legions of Hourus on the planet below why not just virus bomb them to death and throw in a few atomics to seal the deal? Why did they insist on going down there and slugging it out? was it an honor thing? Or Ferus Magnus revenge thing?

I just got done reading Fulgrim, and I liked it. It started out pretty dang slow but it got really good around half way through. Although, I think if the dispensed with all the "It was such an honor just to be in the room with the living god...." the books would be about 20 pages shorter! Anyway.

I was thinking about the drop site massacre at the end. If the loyalist Raven Guard, Iron Hands and Salamanders were in orbit free and clear above the enemy legions of Hourus on the planet below why not just virus bomb them to death and throw in a few atomics to seal the deal? Why did they insist on going down there and slugging it out? was it an honor thing? Or Ferus Magnus revenge thing?

It was a 'the plot wouldn't be the same without it' thing. ;) :)

Yeah, Ferrus was the one who caused that to happen.

Come lol honestly how interesting would the heresy be if Horus dies of a virus bomb. Hmm, no but on a serious note, Ferrus Manus had a grudge against Fulgrim and wanted to get him.

Second, the Imperium and its leaders of the time weren't completly sure of how deep Horus's rebellion was. They still considered each other brothers, none knew that Horus was aligned with the forces of Chaos. In the Collected Visions, his true allegiance is only truly confirmed at the siege of Terra. The reason we all know is because we all read the first three books, which are centered around Horus. The Imperium canno't at that time bring its full destructive capability to crush Horus, not because it lacks it, but because they are still under shock and disbelief.

I believe also that the Emperor wanted Horus and his pawn Primarchs to be brought back as war prisoner, in the same way the Emperor asked Leman Russ to bring back Magnus the Red for trial, though we all know how that ended.

In my opinion, it all hinged around Ferrus Manus.

As I recall...

I'm not sure if its in Fulgrim or later, but someone suggested bombing the traitors but Ferrus said that he wanted to look Fulgrim in the eyes as he killed him. He allowed his own sense of honour to be tarnished and thus his pride made him a suspect commander.

EDIT: Spelling.. Making it make sense!

Only the Emperor and Horus had the necessary authority to deploy virus bombs. In the lack of any other information you would assume that Ferrus had not been authorised to use them during the landing. In addition Power Armoured Space Marines plus bunkers would have rendered the virus bombs fairly impotent at any rate.

My take on the 'alternative Istvaan':

Erebus looked up, the servos in his armour whining as he craned his neck. Hundreds of streaks of light fell like comets from the leaden sky. The first impacted perhaps four miles from him. The noise was like nothing the Word Bearer had heard before, and a massive detonation tore the night sky in two. Before the Dark Apostle could even scream, he had been incinerated in the blast.

Horus rushed out of his command bunker, then stopped, holding his hand in front of his face, a look of horror crossing his Chaos-altered features as the meat sloughed from it. The Warmaster of the Traitor Legions collapsed to the floor, screaming. Not even a primarch could withstand Life-Eater.

Emerging from the warp, Perturabo saw the flaming world below him, and gasped. He saw the burning world, vessels of the Iron Hands hovering above it. Behind him, Ingethel the Ascended, the daemon overseer assigned to him by Horus, screeched: "We must rescue them, attack, attack, Iron Warrior." Perturabo turned slowly around. The he pulled his Thunder Hammer from his belt, swung it above his head, and charged.

"FOR THE EMPEROR!"

As he died, a furious voice spoke in Horus's head, it, sounding like evil itself: "You stupid bastard!" yelled Tzeentch.

Ferrus Mannus grinned as Istvaan burned. Morons, he thought.

Yeah, Ferrus was the one who caused that to happen.

Ok. Ferrus did what he did because he had to do it. I doubt they even had virus bombs with them. And for the record the traitors were sealed in tight. I mean the Emperor's Children really prefected there defenses.

My take on the 'alternative Istvaan':

Erebus looked up, the servos in his armour whining as he craned his neck. Hundreds of streaks of light fell like comets from the leaden sky. The first impacted perhaps four miles from him. The noise was like nothing the Word Bearer had heard before, and a massive detonation tore the night sky in two. Before the Dark Apostle could even scream, he had been incinerated in the blast.

Horus rushed out of his command bunker, then stopped, holding his hand in front of his face, a look of horror crossing his Chaos-altered features as the meat sloughed from it. The Warmaster of the Traitor Legions collapsed to the floor, screaming. Not even a primarch could withstand Life-Eater.

Emerging from the warp, Perturabo saw the flaming world below him, and gasped. He saw the burning world, vessels of the Iron Hands hovering above it. Behind him, Ingethel the Ascended, the daemon overseer assigned to him by Horus, screeched: "We must rescue them, attack, attack, Iron Warrior." Perturabo turned slowly around. The he pulled his Thunder Hammer from his belt, swung it above his head, and charged.

"FOR THE EMPEROR!"

As he died, a furious voice spoke in Horus's head, it, sounding like evil itself: "You stupid bastard!" yelled Tzeentch.

Ferrus Mannus grinned as Istvaan burned. Morons, he thought.

lol, thats a good one mang. you forgot to mention how the life eater virus was in awe and honored just to be on the same planet as a primarch, much less two of them.

"

The book would have been 30 pages shorter if 'perfect' and all of its cognates were removed from the book. I can only handle so much perfection :)

As to the whole 'bombing from orbit' deal... sometimes, you have to go down to the surface, and punch a guy in the face. The Imperium is thematically a combination of neo-gothic aesthetics with Le Mort d'Arthur sense of honor.

It's just how problems are solved in the far future.

Archived