Through smoke and fire, through shot and shell

Ufthak

Would never have guessed the spy as a cabal operative. What a twist. What a story. ;)

Now a few things.

Captain Pavlos Mayer grunted as the Apothecary carefully tended to the deep wound in Mayer’s chest.

Maybe change that to his chest, no need to repeat who it is.

The rain brought down the black smoke from the skies, washing everything in a filthy dark film.

Doesn't read true for some reason. I would maybe suggest this:

The rain brought with it the black smoke from the sky, washing everything in a filthy dark film.

Another great addition. :unsure:

@Legio Draconis:

Thanx for remarking on the mistakes. Noted and edited :)

The spy's not a cabal operative (if you're referring to the cabal in "Legion") but an Alpha Legion operative. Make of it what you want :P

Next - and possibly last - part up this evening or tomorrow! :P

@Legio Draconis:

Not at this point - yet. The Great Crusade is still underway, and Alpahrius has only just been discovered (if at all), so Quatt is quite simply an Alpha Legion spy ^_^ As I said, make of that what you will.

@Ace Debonair:

Thanks man ;)

Unfortunately I won't be able to post the last part today, I'll try to get it done tomorrow ;)

Alright folks!

The time has come. I hereby present to you the last part of my story.

It has been a great experience for me, spending the last two months writing, and though I am immensely glad that I have now finished (indeed, that I actually managed to finish the story!!!), I can't help being a bit sad it's all over :)

In any case, I would hereby like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all those of you who so faithfully followed my work from start to finish, and who aided me and kept me motivated throughout. Special thanks to Tyear, sonofwarandeath, Brother Captain Ming, Sons of Horus, antique_nova, raptor1199, and above all Legio Draconis and Ace Debonair! And thank you to all others who saw fit to read my amateur work!

Thanks for the GREAT HELP!

I hope you all enjoyed my story and got a more positive view of the mustard marines ;)

Now, without much further ado, here's the last part. Criticisms & Comments are still very much welcome; I would especially like to hear what you all think of my story as a whole! :)

2 weeks later

Navis Astrorum, Imperial Army barracks quarters

“Three cheers, boys! Hip hip hip!”

“HURRA!”

“Hip hip hip!”

“HURRA!”

“Hip hip hip!”

“HURRAAAAA!”

Subedar Uas Renditch cheered on together with the rest of the assembled Mughali assault battalion C78. Laughter broke out as four sepoys, Bhutra among them, downed huge tankards of Mughali Ganyash beer in one go.

The battalion was in high spirits. The brigade commander had praised them for their stunning performance, and had decreed that the unit would be allowed to add “219-58” to their banner, and that the formerly rather green unit would henceforth be classified as “tough”.

An even greater honour had been the praise which the Astartes from the VII and XIX Legions had heaped upon the platoon fighting in the defence of the Khaman Defence Laser System. Subedar-Colonel Dirimbureshparata, the battalion commander, had praised the platoon and been generous with medals and promotions. As a result, Uas had been promoted to subedar, taking over from Ios Parambata, who, now a Captain, commanded the company. The remnants of Uas’ squad would now be led by Havildar Kneel.

But it was not so much the fact that even the most gravely wounded would live and that so much praise had been heaped upon them. What really had the unit in high spirits was that fleet HQ had deemed the battalion temporarily unfit for further combat and was sending them home for rest and refit.

It was a dream come true. Hardly a soldier in the Imperial Army could ever hope to see his home again, the endless reaches of space, the continuous warfare and the duty to the Imperium making such a thing improbable if not downright impossible.

But the Mughali Assault Battalion C78 was going home, and 219th Expedition Fleet had provided a small, swift vessel, the Navis Astrorum, to transport them. Uas’ heart had leapt at the news, the idea of seeing his family and his world again a wonder which he had not dared to hope for.

He laughed as Sepoy Srindupatna, now hobbling along on a bionic replacement leg, threw his arms around him in a frenzy and yelled at the top of his voice.

“We’re going HOME!”

Ndindye’s anger, Imperial Army barracks quarters

Captain Sho Daman slowly paced the metal corridors of the barracks quarters. The ship, Ndindye’s anger, had been constructed on Kyrdesh, and though it was outclassed by the larger, more sophisticated standard imperial ships, the contingent of Kyrdesh troops with 219th Expedition Fleet still used it out of nostalgia.

He passed through the 100-man soldier dorms, and groups of troopers jumped up and to attention.

“Easy easy, boys, just me passing through” he remarked and the men went back to their duties.

For his services on 219-58, Daman had been promoted to Captain and now held command over a full company of Kyrdesh stormtroopers, amalgamated from the decimated 1st, 3rd and 8th Companies.

Daman had immediately gone and put the boot into the quartermaster’s backside to supply the company with new uniforms and equipment, and the men now indeed looked the part. Though their armour was still scratched and dented, and every trooper still held his personal style, giving the company an overall veteran look, they were now also freshly equipped and supplied.

The promotion and the resupply would have gladdened Daman under normal circumstances. And yet, ever since the encounter with the psyker-woman in the crypt he had felt somehow hollow. Doubt nagged at his mind, doubt about everything he had been sure about.

He passed the door of his own quarters. As a captain, he had certain privilidges, which included a room for himself along with a large bed and a bath niche, but Daman had, as always, opted to stay with his troopers in the large dorm. He felt more at home there.

As a result, Daman had chosen to let some other people use his quarters now and then. A smile flickered over his sorrowful features as he heard a female voice moaning in sexual pleasure behind the door.

He left the happy couple to themselves and carried on down the corridors, the doubts coming back to nag him. The woman’s voice echoed through his head.

“Strive for peace, love and freedom amongst the stars, follow these highest ideals...”

Peace, love and freedom. Highest ideals. Was it not precisely this that the Imperium stood for? Were these ideals not the aim of this Great Crusade?

When Daman thought of the countless battlefields he had fought on, the myriad of human worlds which had fought rather than join the Imperium, it all just seemed hollow.

There was no love, no freedom, no peace in this Great Crusade. Only war, destruction, dominion.

With a heavy heart, Daman resolved to join his men in a game of regicide, and slowly strolled back to the troopers’ dorm.

Ulman felt Octavia’s body spasm above him as waves of orgasmic pleasure passed through her, her mouth opening in a silent scream. After a few moments, she exhaled heavily, her beautiful body shuddering.

Ulman held her, and she snuggled onto his chest.

After a few minutes of stroking and catching breath, she smiled and remarked: “Good thing the Captain provided the room. A real bed is so much more comfortable.”

Ulman chuckled. The 100-man dorms were hardly the most private place, and the tiny beds were barely large enough to hold a single trooper.

Octavia looked up at him.

“You’ve been wanting this for a long time, Ulman.”

It was a statement.

“Yes” he replied. “I love you, Octavia, though I never dared hope...for anything.”

She looked at him with a sad smile.

“Ulman...I love you too. Why else do you think I never wanted to bed you? I wanted it to be different...from all the others...”

“And? Is it different?”

“Yes” she answered. “But it must be clear to you that I am company medic and also company whore. The men have needs which have to be sated in order for them to work well and let them be the elite warriors they are.”

After a moment’s silence, Ulman answered.

“I understand. Though that does not mean I like it.”

Octavia sat up, straddling him, her beautiful bronzed skin and her short-cropped black hair glistening with sweat.

“My body” – she ran her hands over her shoulders, breasts and stomach – “is the company’s. But this” – her right hand came to rest just below her left breast – “has always been yours, Ulman. And it shall be for as long as fate lets us be together.”

He smiled and held her tight.

Gloria Viribus, Cargo Hold

Captain Pavlos Mayer winced as he shifted his weight, resulting in a small spasm of pain in his chest. The wound was still healing.

Around him stood a group of assembled generals and officers. The attractive Lieutenant-Colonel Eva Montmartre was also present, standing behind Count Gneisenau, the new commander of 219th Expedition Fleet. Mayer caught his eye and nodded to him.

All stood silently and solemnly as a eight-man squad of Bourdak infantry entered, dragging a chained man with them.

The man was clad in an ornamental blue uniform, though it had apparently been ripped and torn by rough handling. He whimpered and resisted in vain as the Bourdak troopers towed him to an empty wall on the far side of the cargo hold, near the assembled officers. Opposite the wall stood another ten-man squad of Bourdak troops in a perfect rank, their autoguns at their sides.

The man struggled and yelled as the troopers dragged him to the wall.

“You can’t do this! I am a Lord Commander!” His frenzied eyes met Mayer’s. “Please my Lord, make them stop! For the love of the Emperor, I beg you!” he whimpered.

The troopers stood him by the wall, and a Bourdak officer strode up to the man and unceremoniously bound his eyes. Then the officer took up his position next to the firing squad while the other troopers withdrew.

The officer glanced at Mayer, and the Astartes Captain gave a brief nod.

He took out a data-slate, held it up and read: “Portan Dimonovsk, former commander of 219th Expedition Fleet, you are hereby charged and condemmed for crimes against the Expedition Fleet and against the Imperium, which include being absent without leave during crucial stages of the pacification of planet designated 219-58. You are to be shot at this place and this hour, before these witnesses.”

Dimonovsk cried pathetically. “No no no...I am a Lord Commander...you cannot do this...please...”

The officer glanced to Mayer again.

“Do it.”

The officer unsheathed his power sword, turning to the firing squad before holding it aloft.

“At-ten-tion!”

“No...please don’t...”

“Make ready!”

“For the love of Terra...”

“Pre-sent!”

“I beg you...”

“Aim!”

“I am your leader, you cannot shoot your leader...”

“Fire!”

“NOOOOO...”

A brief rattling of autoguns, and the man dropped dead. The officer strode up to the body, pulling out his autopistol, and put a further round into the former Lord Commander’s head.

After a moment, Mayer turned to Count Gneisenau.

“Now that’s finally done with. I shall return immediately to the Mors cum Surriso. The fate and the honour of the 219th Expedition Fleet now lie in your hands, Count. Make the Imperium proud.”

The Count straightened. “Be sure that I will, my Lord. It has been an honour serving alongside the warriors of the VII Legion”.

“The honour was mine, Count” Mayer answered and briefly rested his hand on the man’s shoulder, before turning and striding swiftly toward the exit.

Mors cum Surriso, armoury chamber

Patrax stood with the ship-captain and Astropath Nisei on the balcony overlooking the armoury.

The Imperial Fists Company was embroiled in daily routines of training and weapons maintenance, repairing damaged armour and weapons, regaining fitness and, in some cases, getting used to bionic replacements.

“Durr, I still prefer the Iron Warriors to them” Leuwen scowled. “After this victory, they’ll be even more high-and-mighty.”

Patrax chuckled. “They are Imperial Fists. Stalwart and tough, high-and-mighty.” He turned to Leuwen. “I, for my part, learned to get along with them. They are good warriors to have watching your back.”

Leuwen grunted. “You get to fight alongside them. I get to transport them and entertain them. Big difference.”

Patrax laughed and gazed out over the battle-brothers below. The sniper team, led by the strange master-sniper, were working on modifying a strange, exotic rifle. Patrax could see the master sniper and one of the two scouts had extensive injuries that were slowly healing.

His gaze passed over the hulking veterans of the terminator squad, led by the scarred Loric Amboss, repairing and re-painting their prized Cataphractii tactical dreadnought armour. One of the warriors – Pausanias – sported a new, polished bionic replacement for his left arm, and kept moving and flexing it, apparently still getting used to it.

Patrax grinned as he spotted Markos Demmerung with his surviving devastators, cleaning heavy bolters, autocannons and rocket launchers. Patrax had come to like the bad-tempered, arrogant devastator, their bond of brotherhood forged afesh in the fires of battle.

Patrax’ grin dropped as his gaze passed over the new leader of Pugnus Tactical Squad. Hanas Churchendal’s face was a mess. The Apothecarii had worked miracles, synthesysing new tissue and thereby restoring his ears, nose and most of his lips, but he would still be hideously scarred for life. Church’s mouth would remain lop-sided, permanently baring teeth; where his left eye had been, now there was a bionic replacement; and his skin, molten and scarred, would now forever bear the red and white of his native Tirol back on Terra. The freshly-promoted sergeant had been very quiet the last two weeks.

Last of all, his heart leaping again, Patrax espied his own warriors testing their repaired jump packs. Brothers Graiff, Herran, Kraeye and Aktos soared through the chamber, earning some friendly rebukes from the Imperial Fists below.

With a mere thought, Patrax ignited his jump pack and propelled himself from the balcony toward his squad, startling Astropath Nisei and bowling over Captain Leuwen with a laugh.

Mayer ignored the bustling activity around him and didn’t even flinch as the Raven Guard Sergeant landed heavily on the floor next to him with his squad. He passed Amboss and his veterans and continued through the huge armoury chamber.

Sorrow and worry gripped the Captain. So many of his battle-brothers had been slain on 219-58, and though he had been lucky to have so many wounded brothers back and operational so soon, many yet remained in stasis; among them Brother-Chaplain Komnenos and Brother-Apothecarius Hildebrand. Their fate was yet to be decided.

The losses would certainly dampen Sigismund’s mood. Though he had dispatched a message of their victory some time back, he was expecting Sigismund to wish to talk to him in person soon. Mayer did not look forward to speaking the First Captain again.

He continued on until he reached a large door at the rear of the chamber. A brief vox command opened it with a metallic whine, and it slid up, revealing the large chamber beyond.

The dreadnought armoury.

Servitors bustled about, working on segments of armour or weapons, drills whining and sparks flying. Mayer swiftly strode past them, paying them no heed, until he reached a huge, beautiful suit of MkIV dreadnought armour standing in the centre of the chamber. Tech-Marine Stahlhelm’s servo-arms whizzed and whirred about, making one last check-up.

Mayer stopped and gazed up at the helm of the armour, half-hidden behind the frontal plate.

“Greetings, Ancient.”

A deep, metallic voice blurted from the dreadnought’s speakers.

“Greetings, Pavlos.”

“Good to have you back and operational. We were lucky Stahlhelm here tended your sarcophagus so well.”

“Lucky...yes...” Ancient Hohenstaufen answered, a strange pitch in his voice.

Mayer turned to Stahlhelm.

“Is everything ready?”

“Yes, Captain. But the chances are slim, I’m afraid.”

Mayer gritted his teeth.

“Then let’s do it.”

Both warriors turned to the far side of the chamber and walked toward another, less ornamental suit of dreadnought armour, still missing its legs and arms, sitting in a harness against the wall. Ancient Hohenstaufen followed them with heavy footfalls.

They reached the dreadnought. For a moment, all three stood there motionless and gazed at it. Then Mayer nodded to Stahlhelm, and the Tech-Marine’s servo-arm reached out, thursting into a socket in the harness holding the armoured behemoth.

After a moment, the socket crackled, sparks flying, and lights all over the dreadnought came to life, the green lenses of its helmet glowing. A faint humming sound completed the machine’s activation.

Mayer stood in front of the machine and gazed into the green lenses.

“Brother! Even in death we serve the Imperium! If you are in there, then answer me!”

For a moment, there was silence.

Then, a synthetic, metallic growl came from the speakers.

“Pavlos...is that you?”

Mayer took a step forward and placed a hand on the sarcophagus.

“Welcome back, Theoderic.”

Awesome. Great ending to an epic story :)

he was expecting Sigismund to wish to talk ot him in person soon.
just a typo I spotted here, should be "talk to"

Nice. A cool ending to a great story.

Congratulations on maintaining the excellence from start to finish.

My only question is: what happened to the blind marine? ;) (I forget his name ;) )

If you want to write another campaign (with any of the legions) I doubt very much any of us will object. :D

Thanks Ace!!!

The blind marine is Brother Kraeye of Patrax' Talon Assault Squad. He is one of the five survivors of the squad; in the very last chapter he's testing the jump packs along with the rest of the squad (very bionicised, no doubt) ;)

Concerning another story:

I do have a vague idea which may yet form into a story. But I'm still unsure whether to do it and if yes, then also whether to use Mayer & Co. again. We'll see :D

One very last thing, before my story is overtaken by others and fades into the dark depths of the Librarium, never to be read again...

Throughout my story, I added a myriad of hints and references at modern-day things, as well as drawing inspiration from history and the modern-day-world. I would like to set you, my faithful readers, before a short brainteaser.

Can you work out the references and allusions to the modern-day world, or the inspiration by past history?

- Falsinfild Corporation = ?

- Mons Sanctus Corporation = ?

- MykroPortae Corporation = ?

- Bavar Corporation = ?

- name: Hanas Churchendal = ?

- Bauzan Hive = ?

- Freeburg Hive = ?

- creature: Tatselworm = ?

- name: Srabion = ?

- name: Demmerung = ?

- name: Amboss = ?

- name: Count Gneisenau = ?

- names of the Kyrdesh stormtroopers = ?

- names of the Mughali assault troopers = ?

- Mughal = ?

- ranks of the Mughali assault troopers = ?

- name: Thymias = ?

- name: Stahlhelm = ?

- name: Hohenstaufen = ?

- name: Donar = ?

- name: Huno = ?

- name: Nisei = ?

- Dumonti Royal Guard Corps = ?

- Dyssadian Clone Troopers = ?

- name: Kraeye = ?

- name: Graiff = ?

And many others...

Can you work them out?

Am very curious here whether anyone finds anything out... ;)

Next campaign? You mean I should write more?

Yep write more, I would love to see these characters move onto another campaign and develop.

Agreed. Do it!

- Mons Sanctus Corporation = ?

Mountain on Mars.

- name: Count Gneisenau = ?

German military commander and noble.

- Mughal = ?

Name of an old Indian Empire.

- ranks of the Mughali assault troopers = ?

Indian army ranks.

- name: Stahlhelm = ?

WWII German helmet.

- name: Nisei = ?

Second generation Japanese-American.

- Dyssadian Clone Troopers = ?

Star Wars.

In all, an awesome, epic spanning story. I myself would like to see a sequel to this in some way.

Ha! Gree has definitely done his homework! With the exception of the Mons Sanctus Corporation, he was totally correct! ;)

Well, here's the final resolution of the puzzle:

- Falsinfild Corporation = from a modification of an old germanic variant of modern-day german "Felsenfeld", which literally means "Rock Field". In northwestern Germany and Holland you would say "Rokkenfeld" - which, incidentally, is the name of a village where the Rockefeller family came from and drew their name from. So the Falsinfild Corporation = Rockefeller Corporation.

- Mons Sanctus Corporation = Pretty obvious this one. "Mons Sanctus" is Latin, meaning "Holy mountain", and in Italian and Spanish is called "Monsanto". Google "Monsanto Corporation" and find out what sort of bastards they are.

- MykroPortae Corporation = "Mykro" is a modification of "Micro" and "Portae" is Latin for "Gates", so it's pretty obvious really: Bill Gates' Microsoft Corporation.

- Bavar Corporation = "Bavar" is a modification of "Bayer", a European pharmaceutical corporation.

- name: Hanas Churchendal = A modification of the name "Hannes Tschurtschentaler", a name typical for the Southern Tirol, where - incidentally - I hail from ;) The coat of arms of Tirol is a red eagle on a white shield over a red and white halved background.

- Bauzan Hive = from "Bauzanum", the medieval Latin name for modern-day Bozen, the Capital of South Tirol.

- Freeburg Hive = modern-day Freiburg im Breisgau, in the German province of Baden-Württemberg, where I currently reside ;)

- creature: Tatselworm = from "Tatzelwurm", a worm-like mythological creature which supposedly lives in the Alps.

- name: Srabion = an Armenian version of Greek "Strabon"

- name: Demmerung = from German "Dämmerung", meaning "dawn" or "twilight"

- name: Amboss = german word meaning "anvil" - incidentally, the terminator squad is called "anvil squad"

- name: Count Gneisenau = Prussian General during the Napoleonic Wars and brilliant Chief of Staff to Field Marshal Blücher.

- names of the Kyrdesh stormtroopers = derived from various african languages, especially from central and southern Africa.

- names of the Mughali assault troopers = derived from Hindi, Malayalam, Punjabi, Farsi, Pashtun and Arabic.

- Mughal = old Empire in India

- ranks of the Mughali assault troopers = Indian Army ranks

- name: Thymias = from the herb "Thyme"

- name: Stahlhelm = german for "steel helmet" - thought it would go well for the Tech-Marine.

- name: Hohenstaufen = Dynasty of German nobles in Southern Germany.

- name: Donar = Anglo-Saxon for german "Donner", meaning "Thunder"; Saxon variant of the Norse God "Thor"

- name: Huno = old germanic form of modern-day German "Hühne", meaning "large, strong man" or "little bear" - incidentally, it forms part of my surname.

- name: Nisei = Second-Generation Japanese Americans.

- Dumonti Royal Guard Corps = Inspired heavily by Napoleon's Imperial Guard, particularly the Old Guard Grenadiers.

- Dyssadian Clone Troopers = Star Wars Clone Troopers (this one was pretty obvious)

- name: Kraeye = modification of German "Krähe", meaning "crow" - thought it would fit well for a Raven Guard marine.

- name: Graiff = variant of German "Greiff", meaning "bird of prey" - also thought it would go well for Raven Guard.

As you can see, there are many hidden meanings and allusions in my story ;)

In any case, I hereby would like to say a big THANK YOU to you all one last time, thank you for accompanying and guiding me through my story - it was a great experience.

As to whether I shall be writing any more, I really don't know. I think I will take a break...for now ;)

I now close the book, lay down the quill and lean back :devil:

+++END OF TRANSMISSION+++

Well, considering I'm English-Italian-German with some Irish and Ladin blood thrown in, and grew up with German and English as first languages and Italian as second, I kinda do have an advantage :HQ: Knowing languages can be very handy when inventing names :HQ:

I read through the entire story, starting a week and a half ago or so.. faithfully waiting for each following installment... Very well written, an enjoyable read. You should keep on writing and entertain all your loyal fans.

Thanx Draka, very kind of you -_-

Seriously, two months of non-stop writing have somewhat sapped my strength, plus I hardly got round to continuing on my miniatures or, indeed, doing much of anything else...so I'm having a break currently. I do have a couple of ideas at the back of my head, but I'll give them further thought at an unspecified point in the future :)

Thanx Son of Horus!

As I said, I won't be writing anything new for the time being, but we'll see ;) If I do, I'll likely use the characters again, I definitely grew to like them...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived