Eidolon

Gree

I think that maybe he does have good military skills, but perhaps he lets his ambition for glory get in the way. If I can remember properly, on Murder, he rushed in and failed that campaign because he wanted to "save" the Blood Angels before anyone else could get there. On Isstvan III, he made that deal with Lucius because he wanted to be the reason that they achieved victory. I'm not saying these are good tactics, but perhaps his judgement is clouded whenever he sees a chance to gain favour.

I totaly agree with you on this.

I'll give you two examples from WW2, Montgomery and Patton.

Monty is idolised as Britain's greate wartime commander, but in truth he wasn't that good. His success came from his ability to exploit enemy mistakes and take credit for other people's achievements. The battle of El Alamien was one because the 8th Army he took command of had been trained, disciplined and prepared by it's previous commander. Monty continued the preparations, realising he hada good thing and did't need to mess with it. he planned and organised the Arnhem drops and they where a disaster, yet he survived that because he was a canny political officer.

Patton was a superb commander in many ways a tactcal genius who could not only form effective plans but adapt them to changing conditions. But he had no political skills.

Eidolon is Monty, Tarvitz is Patton.

I think Tarvitz is just a better commander. Look at book again. Loken, Torgaddon etc are all willing to sit back and let Tarvitz command. Obviously Tarvitz is very good commander.

In Horus Rising Ediolon is such an idiot you wonder if he should be shot for the safety of his men. He does turn out to have some fighting ability etc. I assume he is a competent commander, simply Tarvitz is better.

I think Tarvitz is just a better commander. Look at book again. Loken, Torgaddon etc are all willing to sit back and let Tarvitz command. Obviously Tarvitz is very good commander.

In Horus Rising Ediolon is such an idiot you wonder if he should be shot for the safety of his men. He does turn out to have some fighting ability etc. I assume he is a competent commander, simply Tarvitz is better.

That is the point i made.

Like patton, tarvitz is a field comamnder, good at what he does and doesn't really care about politics.

Eidolon is like Monty, average at best but a pure political animal able to turn the success of his surbordinates into politcal clout making hismeld seem the better leader to Fulgrim.

if Eidolon is Monty, Tarvitz is Patton, so who is rommel?

Well Rommel eventually betrayed Hitler so I would say Loken is Rommel.

Eidolon is a politician not a warrior plain and simple. Similar to how we U.S. respect George Washington but really he got up early and attacked a bunch of drunks before that his record was horrible and after that the French helped. We all seem to forget trained monkeys might have done as well. Simply put Eidolon he was a favored of Fulgrims , plus as mentioned in other posts he was smart enough to pass blame and take credit where it favored him.

Eidolon is a powerful fighter, he is highly skilled in combat.

He is also a highly skilled and ruthless politician, an important skill in the emperors children legion.

I imagine he is also a masterful tactician. He would of had to have at least some tactical acumen to advance in the most perfect legion. I think that leading up to the heresy, like many of the legion, his ego slowly got the better of him. He stopped thinking about how to achieve victory in the most perfect manner and instead only cared about the glory he could claim.

He allowed his ego to cloud his tactical ability. He still kicked arse in combat.

It stopped being about perfection and became about superiority.

Archived