signus prime novel in planning by james swallow

ANCIENT FALOR

well i hope they make it as good or better than A thousand sons. theres so much to the blood angels it has tha capability to be an awesome read. plus adding curernt fluff from the new BA dex will make it all flow togethwe nicely. 2011 sometime i hope.

I actually hope that Anthony Reynolds will write some HH books. I really like his writing and his characters.

Yes I want him to do the Word bearers :P

First Heretic about the Word Bearers is Aaron Dembski-Bowden. :) I would like to see Reynolds do something for the HH series.

As far as Swallow goes, yeah, the BA books weren't great. But I love Eisenstein. Probably in my top 5 of the books so far.

As to Fulgrim, I quite enjoy the book. Watching the slow decent into madness was pretty cool. At least some of the background and the Collected Visions did point out that he was possessed. And as I recall from a conversation with McNeill at Adepticon, he found himself part way through the writing realizing he was focusing more on Ferrus Manus than Fulgrim. That may explain the choppiness and feelings that there is more than one book in there.

Swallow!

For &*"£ sake!

More frustrating books describing how the Blood Angels are the most naive & trustingly idiotic Chapter ever to grace the galaxy! If this book follows along the same line as his 41millenium Blood Angels I'm going to cry!

However, if he does manage to pull another FotE out the bag I'll be much happier.

Sorry - went through the posts - What exactly IS Signus Prime about? Who does or what does it follow?

Horus's plan to wipe out the Blood Angels, sending them into a cluster of planets held by chaos daemons. It is terrible for the BA, and had sanguinius defeated by the Father of Blood Thirsters, and went he fell, the first case of the Black Rage erupted in his sons...

THE VIOLENCE WAS EPIC, THE CRAZED BA PURGED THE SYSTEM!

when Sanguinius left the cluster he recieved news of the betrayal and orders to return to Terra.

WLK

This just in. JK Rowling to write Signus Prime novel. :P

is it sad that i was more exicted at the thought of jk rowling writing it then swallow?

Not one bit.

J.K. clearly had a writing course shoved down her throath between Harry Potters 2 and 3, and enough of a name to warrant an excellent editorial staff. She is also one of very few writers who has that "Agatha Christie touch" of nesting up several seeminly unconnected incidents in a larger, plausible whole (McNeill and Swallow could learn a thing or two here). Rowling doing a HH book would most likely result in one of the best books in the series.

But that would be fantabulous! Fulgrim walks into a room and *ka-sparkles* so much, despite his deep, heartfelt angst in his unrequited love for the ruff and ready Ferrus Manus. Ferrus Manus of course would return Fulgrim's affections, where it not for his metal hands which would crush Fulgrim's sparkly face. We all know that the Horus Heresy would be far better if written in the style of a Stephanie Mayer fan-fic!

...oh Emprah what have I done...

Something terrible, just when we thought the threat of the Blood Angels being transformed into twilight vampires had passed, you unleash it on the other legions, I mean, Fulgrim/Ferrus Mannus as an item, what next, a sordid love triangle concerning Russ, Magnus and the Lion?

Sorry about that Heresy just there, but if we are allowed to discus non BL authors doing the HH booksas a joke, then whilst J.K is good, wouldn't Terry Pratchett be better, though Sergei Lukyanenko may be good as well, hey, since we all know there is no way anyone non BL is going to do one, there is no problem in suggesting dead authors as well, perhaps Isaac Asimov would be good.

Okay, mad talk over, but still, it would be interesting to see how an "outsider" (Non GW/BL Author) would portray the Grimdark mess with the tragady of Paradise Lost that is 30K, plus it could mean they get a master of the Fantasy/Science Fiction genre in, such as TP or IA, it would be nice if someone of that level did the whole Horus Vrs The Emperor book well, seeing how the whole Heresy originally was effectively "Paradise Lost" in space, and I don't think that there is such a writer in BL author roster.

Joke aside, can anyone explain quite what happened in the Blood Angels Omnibus, never read it, yet I have heard bits and peices, how bad was the fluff heresy commited?

• 2 weeks later...
...oh Emprah what have I done...

Something terrible, just when we thought the threat of the Blood Angels being transformed into twilight vampires had passed, you unleash it on the other legions, I mean, Fulgrim/Ferrus Mannus as an item, what next, a sordid love triangle concerning Russ, Magnus and the Lion?

Sorry about that Heresy just there, but if we are allowed to discus non BL authors doing the HH booksas a joke, then whilst J.K is good, wouldn't Terry Pratchett be better, though Sergei Lukyanenko may be good as well, hey, since we all know there is no way anyone non BL is going to do one, there is no problem in suggesting dead authors as well, perhaps Isaac Asimov would be good.

Okay, mad talk over, but still, it would be interesting to see how an "outsider" (Non GW/BL Author) would portray the Grimdark mess with the tragady of Paradise Lost that is 30K, plus it could mean they get a master of the Fantasy/Science Fiction genre in, such as TP or IA, it would be nice if someone of that level did the whole Horus Vrs The Emperor book well, seeing how the whole Heresy originally was effectively "Paradise Lost" in space, and I don't think that there is such a writer in BL author roster.

Joke aside, can anyone explain quite what happened in the Blood Angels Omnibus, never read it, yet I have heard bits and peices, how bad was the fluff heresy commited?

+1 for ''Heresy is Paradise Lost in Space'' - I like both so can't complain. OK - Marines don't throw mountains at each other, but Angels don't carry Automatic Weaponry!

Anyway -

I LOVED Fulgrim - OK, so the Dorian Grey theme wasn't carried out as fully as it could have and yes, Fulgrim did wind up being possessed by a ''An Evil Sword''.. but I didn't mind that as a plot device. It's almost better than Horus pushing Fulgrim's senses to the max in a drug fuelled haze (Index Astartes). I really enjoyed how Fulgrim didn't really turn, he was tricked - that's a FAR worse fate than falling to Chaos. Trapped in his own body, forced to watch whatever the daemon does, most likely soul shattering depravities and the murder of his own brother (Robute).

As for James Swallow. I felt FotE was OK - wasn't the worst, wasn't the best.. but the only one of the Blood Angels books I didn't feel annoyed by was Black Tide. Which was passable, but a bit two dimensional.

@Ridcully: The main problems were, fluffwise, the Blood Angels were tricked... and didn't really investigate it much. It made them seem VERY naive. Not to mention the whole 'Civil War' thing, amongst one of the founding legions. It just wasn't very.. palatable.

I've been deliberately vague in case someone goes on to read them.. but they weren't enjoyable books. The only bits I liked were the interaction's with the Flesh Tearers.. even though sometimes they veered off into being ''Emo'' and not the nihilistic hard faced maniacs they should be.

I look forward to Signus Prime because Sanguinius is my favourite Primarch, but I'll keep hoping that something amazing happens and the 30k BA are VERY different to the 40k BL version!

I think you guys are forgetting that regular 40k and HH are two quite different animals. While 40K hinges on half the pages being gory battles and senseless (or not so senseless) killing, the HH books are much more psychological and in all honest, of much better quality. Just compare Graham McNeill's Ultramarines books. I've read all five and while I enjoyed them, most of them focus on one main idea + major battle. This seems to be the same problem with the BA books etc. But when you read Fulgrim or A Thousand Sons (same author).... different eh?

It is a different period, different story and different style. Swallow writing a HH novel? Great. 40K? Not so much. So what? This is a HH novel we are talking about. Perhaps the HH style fits him better? (or probably him writing the HH style appeals more to you)

I say, be grateful for every HH book out there. The overall storyline has to be greenlit and consulted with all the others and a few quirks here and there wont ruin anything. I say, the more (of similar quality to everything that has been released so far, im not saying exchange quantity for quality as is sometimes the case with 40K) the better. There's no such thing as too much back story ;)

Excuse me please but I really really need to do this or I think I might literaly go postal.

WHYWHYWHYWHWYWHWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY????

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's just not FAIR! I am about to serioulsy breakdown here dammit.

I actually enjoyed Swallows work on Flight of the Eisenstein but I could not even finish some of his other works.

A trend in his writing is making characters act very...well...out of character. Blood Angels blindly following an Inquisitor, SoB breaking down sobbing at the figurative drop of a hat, etc.

So, mixed feelings about him doing a Blood Angels Horus Heresy book. So, following his previous trend, half of it will be good, the other half not so much.

Excuse me please but I really really need to do this or I think I might literaly go postal.

WHYWHYWHYWHWYWHWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY????

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's just not FAIR! I am about to serioulsy breakdown here dammit.

Maybe if you begged, pleaded, and perhaps sold your soul to Black Library they would allow ADB or Dan Abnett to write it.

To be honest and a bit of a trend bucker, I really don't care who writes what specifically. Under the greater GW aegis with the nature of the stories themselves made almost clear as day in their meetings, all it takes is someone imaginative and empathic enough to express said stories. While JS was off for a majority of readers for his early books, he's matured in 40k knowledge and appreciation of resonance to do an adequate job.

Personally I'd prefer it if a younger Frank Herbert wrote everything... but that's impossible. So, I'll happily take what I can get and be grateful.

But that would be fantabulous! Fulgrim walks into a room and *ka-sparkles* so much, despite his deep, heartfelt angst in his unrequited love for the ruff and ready Ferrus Manus. Ferrus Manus of course would return Fulgrim's affections, where it not for his metal hands which would crush Fulgrim's sparkly face. We all know that the Horus Heresy would be far better if written in the style of a Stephanie Mayer fan-fic!

For that, you must write a Stephanie Mayer fan-fic style Horus Heresy, the crack it burns, but it will be an example of what not to do, and also you must try and fit as many heretical pairings as possible, including Primarchs, astartes, custodes daemons and sisters of silence, and you must show it to Imperialis_Dominatus, if something as great as P.R.I.M.A.R.C.H.S can exist, then there must be a great evil, a terrible heresy fanfic that will make the Necronomicon seem safe and like something to read to the kids!

You know I am right, it is out there, either waiting to be written or already written, better we get it out of the way and all know what it's called so no one accidentally reads it. Luc O' Luck, you have shown a disturbing ability to write like she who ruins vampires and werewolves, it may be a good idea to see a doctor.

Archived