I'm ready to see a Gold Land Raider

BottomDeck

For new players, probably makes sense to go with the codex color layout (IE gold for VV and Sternguard). For veteran players who have old VAS', they are more inclined to make the VV have yellow helmets as their VAS will likely not be in a position to be repainted due to being sufficiently matte varnished.

I find that if you paint anything notably different, it tends to get shot all the time. This can be both an upside and a downside, depending on whether you mind your expensive Honor Guard or Sanguinary Guard getting absolutely mauled every game. As an example, my buddy painted his Command Squad Rhino for his Black Templars with a white hull and black details, and it got picked out and wasted literally every game. I don't know what the psychology is on it, but people see something painted different/shinier, they tend to focus on it all day. Again, is this an upside to your strategy? I for one am painting my HG red with gold helmets, and their Razorback will be mostly unremarkable other than a few gold details (and maybe not even that). ;)

So long as it has enough "not-gold" on it, I think it should be fine. It shouldn't have gold-plated weapons/sponsons or gold tank-treads. But the hull itself, I think would be fine.

As for being a fire-magnet, isn't that true of Land Raiders already anyway? I have yet to field one myself.

another question, when the white dwarf codex came out the VAS had yellow helmets, now the VV have gold helmets in the codex, are people changing them to gold or leaving them yellow?

Heraldic Gold IS Yellow.

When it comes to designations and unit colors they are identical.

I think a gold Land Raider might be just a bit too gaudy, like a rapper with platinum teeth, but feel free to prove me wrong.
I was going to say something a little less nice about vampires that sparkle in the sun having sparkling vehicles to go with them.

/sigh

Twilight jokes don't bother me as much as some people who get all "RWAR WORST BOOK EVER VAMPIRES ARE RUINED I HATE TWILIGHT BLAAAAAAARGH" over them. They aren't funny, but they aren't offensive or annoying in themselves, either.

The only thing that bugs me about "lol Blood Angles is the army for Twihards amirite??" jokes is that they always seem so random and immature.

/sigh

Twilight jokes don't bother me as much as some people who get all "RWAR WORST BOOK EVER VAMPIRES ARE RUINED I HATE TWILIGHT BLAAAAAAARGH" over them. They aren't funny, but they aren't offensive or annoying in themselves, either.

The only thing that bugs me about "lol Blood Angles is the army for Twihards amirite??" jokes is that they always seem so random and immature.

Naah, BA with too much gold smacks of Twilight. BA with lots of red are how they were meant to be. Barring Dante and Tycho, of course. You'll notice I've only been snarking off in the threads involving gold BA armies.

/sigh

Yeah people have to whine about something I guess.

/sigh

Naah, BA with too much gold smacks of Twilight. BA with lots of red are how they were meant to be. Barring Dante and Tycho, of course. You'll notice I've only been snarking off in the threads involving gold BA armies.

I'll be honest and say I normally tune the Twilight jokes out and don't pay attention to who's making them. It's not just here at B&C, after all. But seeing as Sanguinius had the gold armor and all, I don't see why there's need to hate on either Sanguinary Guard or the Sanguinor. And the Honor Guard have always been pictured as gold, just like Dante, and no one complained then.

Ok, time to get serious. Dante can't ride in an LR because of his jump pack. No problem, Tycho can use one.

Second, I wouldn't use an all gold LR, for reasons listed above. That having been said, I see a few spots where gold accents and highlights could be applied tastefully. Sponsons and turret shields, the recessed areas on the side where the codex shows the BA chapter decal, and some parts of the FW LR door set. some of those would actually make for good highlights on an Honor Guard razorback or rhino as well.

Edit: Plague Angel, I know they were changed to all gold in the PDF, but I could've sworn that was just Dante's personal honor guard and not the standard one.

I'm fond of Razorbacks, so I would probably try and do a tastefully blinged one for the command squad. I do see how an all gold army could be garish if all the vehicles were gold too. But I like to think a gold Land Raider, so long as it's not too much gold, could be done well. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I just want to try.

However, darth_giles, I do think I agree with you more than I disagree, so cheers. :tu:

another question, when the white dwarf codex came out the VAS had yellow helmets, now the VV have gold helmets in the codex, are people changing them to gold or leaving them yellow?

I never got around to varnishing (or completing) my VAS squad, so I'll probably be repainting them. I'm going to have enough yellow-helmeted boys running around now.

I think that if you ornamented the Land Raider enough it might look really cool. Add enough bits and pieces and it'd look really old.

You could always off set all the gold with bits of red here and there and add loads of purity seals.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/darth_giles/Blood%20Angels/CommandLandRaider.jpg

These are the only areas I'd consider making gold on a "stock" LR. I apologize for using an ancient Word Bearers LR for the pic, but the only other one I had lying around was a heavily converted World Eaters piece. The lascannon turret is off a razorback, because I couldn't find a heavy bolter turret.

I mean the blood angels honor guard is apparently now the most flashy pimpin gangstas in the army along with the San. Guard. And a gold LR will complete the bling of a foot honor guard.

And about the flashy well painted stuff getting shot first I kinda agree. I myself kinda want to go for their best painted model to lower their morale. Lol

Archived