Mephiston

Skilly

C On your turn you charge use no psychic powers average 1.5 wounds on the swarmlord after invuns then you have 3 chances to pass your psychic test, easy. On average you should only need 2.

*if you use none of meph's 3 power uses, you actually get 4 (FOUR) psychic weapon chances.

they (force weapons) have the same effects as power weapons, but also confer to the wielder one ADDITIONAL psychic power, used in close combat...

edit: sorry about the double post

Wrong, when it says it gives him another psychic power it means power, not usage, he can still only use 3 a turn.

C On your turn you charge use no psychic powers average 1.5 wounds on the swarmlord after invuns then you have 3 chances to pass your psychic test, easy. On average you should only need 2.

*if you use none of meph's 3 power uses, you actually get 4 (FOUR) psychic weapon chances.

they (force weapons) have the same effects as power weapons, but also confer to the wielder one ADDITIONAL psychic power, used in close combat...

edit: sorry about the double post

Wrong, when it says it gives him another psychic power it means power, not usage, he can still only use 3 a turn.

Sorry had to edit this post quickly as i miss read it! yeah dude you only get 3 attempts not 4 bro. Meph is already good enough without 4!

Heh. Aye, after reading, I can see that. My apologies for the quasi-return-snark as well, for had I been reading beyond the track in which I was involved, I would have seen that.

No worries! I'm the same way if there's no coffee, so it's fully understandable. Shall we return to our respective corners and take a breather for now? :P

Yes we can my friend. Though on this topic what would your interpritation of the deathleaper vs meph ruling end up as? it is a very tricky one even for someone who rule laywers the crap out of everything like myself. By rules lawyering the ability actually does nothing but i presume it means indipendant character. Your take?

Personally, I'd just throw the Hammer at Meph and take the charge the next turn from the Assault Marines and an I1 Mephiston.

The hammer thrown has the following profile:

Range 6", S10, AP1.

There is nothing in the ranged profile that allows for the special rule (listed under "Close Combat Weapons") to grant that ability at range.

Personally, I'd just throw the Hammer at Meph and take the charge the next turn from the Assault Marines and an I1 Mephiston.

The hammer thrown has the following profile:

Range 6", S10, AP1.

There is nothing in the ranged profile that allows for the special rule (listed under "Close Combat Weapons") to grant that ability at range.

Agreed. I'm a wolf player myself and I always disagreed with those that thought it maintained it's SCCW status when thrown. All it is when thrown is one badmofo hammer that hits like a railgun shot.

That, and I'm reasonably sure the T-hammer rulings say that it only does it's T-hammer thing in close combat.

In response to your query, Crynn, I'd have to say that the Leaper does -not- work on Mephy, because it specifies IC status. Mephiston is not an IC, he is (to my knowledge) a Character. Regardless of a lack of official "Rules" for "Characters", that does not auto-revert Mephy's status to that of Independent Character. Consequentially, Death Leaper would fail to work on him.

However, I won't lie, I don't have the Nid codex handy, so I might be horridly off-base in that regard.

That, and I'm reasonably sure the T-hammer rulings say that it only does it's T-hammer thing in close combat.

In response to your query, Crynn, I'd have to say that the Leaper does -not- work on Mephy, because it specifies IC status. Mephiston is not an IC, he is (to my knowledge) a Character. Regardless of a lack of official "Rules" for "Characters", that does not auto-revert Mephy's status to that of Independent Character. Consequentially, Death Leaper would fail to work on him.

However, I won't lie, I don't have the Nid codex handy, so I might be horridly off-base in that regard.

The problem is it says that it targets a character. It does not actually say Independant character. In order to clarify this problem we need to work out if by character they mean IC or if they infact mean hq or some other form of character. Hell this could mean lemantes or Arjac or Tellion, technically they are all characters, common sense would say they are not targetable though. The way it is worded it could mean several things and it will cause arguments.

In previous versions of the game I think 2nd edition not sure about 3rd, character actually had a definition in the game now it does not. Not sure how this is relevant

Mephiston is just like a tactical nuke. It has great destructive power whilst also acting as a deterrant. Your opponent will most likely hesitate with charging or getting near when mephy is around hiding somewhere. He is basically a Hive Tyrant but very very small and thus very easy to hide and scare ppl.

This was debated. And yes, there is nothing preventing you from doing so, and the rules are written in such a way as to allow for that without breaking or contradicting anything else. So, yes.

or you wolf guys, why not throw lucas at him, sure lucas dies but thats not a good thing for mephy to do. Or is there a way for mephys to advoid being frozen in time? This thread has put me of putting mephy in my tourney army....

Mort is correct. as usual, You are one of the few people I like on these forums Mort, always something productive to say.

Hhaha- thanks matey- but stick around- there are loads of really helpful posters here at the BnC.

They're just not all as active as us mods ^^;

Yeah too bad he's in Africa! We could use him up here in the Northeast US!

I'll be there next year on my 40k tour of North America.

Guys,

the thread is really interesting as it helps us a lot to understand better the Lord of Death. I have one more practical question though, I believe it's a task for Mort the Chapter Master to help here....

The game is set, Mephy is in our list...now what ? I mean what kind of enemy should we point Mephy at ?Which shouldn't we, and how should we walk around the table with the Lord of Death ?

I would apreciate some tactical tips in that direction to help me and the other readers to play him properly.

thanks in Advance

Marcos

Well- im sure anyone that plays Meph can help you with that!

But for what its worth here is:

Mort's Mephy Machinations

1. ALWAYS make sure Mephy is getting a 4+ save. (Its not tough to do)

2. Dont be scared to put him in full LOS of your enemy (depending on how much ap2 they can put out). This will take off some High strength pressure from the rest of your list.

3. If possible, make sure a SP is in tow somewhere.

4. DO NOT get him bogged down with huge squads. Ork/IG conscript/Gaunt hordes are not where he shines. Do not get sucked into a combat like this unless you are 1 phase away from having your support come in and wipe out that squad.

5. Dont be afraid to send him in by himself. He can take it.

6. Try attack tough targets. Marines, termies, nobs - even dreadnoughts* etc. But factor in your kill to return wound ratio before. eg: If sending mephy in against a squad of 8 nobs will kill 5 nobs and get 3 wounds back on meph - then do it. The nobs are not likely to survive the next turn of combat.

7. If possible, run Corbs. The reroll will prevent your perils from claiming wounds or wrecking battle plans that rest on him.

8. He is as good a counter charge unit as he is an attacking unit. Just because hes super fast, does not mean he should be blazing up the lines.

9. Landraiders and monoliths alike both fear Mephy- consider showing your opponents why! Attack the vehicles if you must!

10. Finally - be careful of what can kill him. Hes not invincible. (Instant Death, Arjac & Squad, Swarmlord etc etc.)

* With rage and sword in play, you have (very very roughly) about a 120% chance of killing a dreadnought on the charge. Only slightly less off the charge.

Against an iron clad/furioso you're looking at an 80% of killing one.

Randomly and for fun.

How hard is mephy?

It takes:

6 IG plasmagun rolls to hit, to score one wound on Mephy in cover. (3 out of cover).

5 IG lascannon/meltagun rolls to hit, to score one wound on Mephy in cover. (about 2.5 out of cover).

36 IG lasgun rolls to hit, to score one wound on Mephy. (72 if he has a priest nearby).

It takes:

4 and a bit SM plasmagun rolls to hit to score one wound on Mephy in cover.

3 and a bit SM lascannon/meltagun rolls to hit to score one wound on Mephy in cover.

27 SM bolter rolls to hit to score one wound on Mephy in cover. (54 with a priest).

NOM* NOM* NOM* !!!

Archived