Defence of Forge Tarl

Well, when I say anyone, I mean anyone who has earnt the right to be armed with one. If you're a Conscript, then pfft, you ain't getting your hands on a Laspistol, let alone a Boltgun. But let's not forget a Regiment's forges; they well produce guns similar to any in the Imperium, except ones with limited STC's. A weapon may cause the same effect as a Boltgun, but it doesn't have to be a Boltgun, for example.

yes. but the basic guns of the regiments arn't lasguns. they are similar to autoguns. just they were made on by themselves. that will be explained in this chapter as i write it. which i am doing right now so it will hopefully be ready to hand to Skirax this evening (if he's willing to take it)

thanks again guys

Athiair ;)

with revision from mighty Skirax himself here comes the complete second installment :) enjoy

Price ran through the darkened streets, holding the locator system infront of him, carefully controlling his breathing as he raced through the streets. Out of nowhere a volley of crimson red bolts flashed from the dark, scorching the floor behind him. Price spun on his heel and unleashed a storm of shells into the building, the bark of his bolter was echoed by an eruption of tortured yells. He released the boltgun and it swung on the strap as he set of again, dashing away from his enemies. A quick glance at the heart-beat monitor on his wrist suggested that the heretics were in the vicinity. Suddenly a larger bolt flew through the air, and burned into the back of his leg. Price yelled in pain as his skin burned. Price's battle instincts kicked in, and stepped right and ducked into a roll, just before a second bolt cracked through the air aimed directly where his head had been.

“Damn snipers, they're all the same” Price snarled, as he felt the hot air pass above him.

Price rolled through the dive, re-gathering his steps as he broke back into a run. Then he saw another red cluster of light, building to his left. He collapsed to the floor, slipped his trusty pistol out of the holster and snapped of a trio of shots. He let out a small smile as he remembed his time on Onyx during the conflict, but before he got immersed in history, he remembered he was in a warzone on his own. To finish off, he unhooked a grenade from his belt and lobbed it through a window; the powerful frag pellets killed anyone left in the building. Contented with his work, Price leapt up and sprinted away. As his counter ticked to 600 meters he heartbeat monitor blinked: no signs of enemies. He breathed a sigh of relief and ran onwards to safety.

“They want to hide, do they?” he smirked “well we'll see about that”

Turning this way and that through the maze. The distance meter counted down. Finally it came into sight, the headquarters of the regiments, the all to common sensation of unimpressionable majesty set in. He slid the system into his pocket with a sigh of relief. He burst through the gates, heading directly for the command centre. His feet pounded the hard rock-crete path winding up to the centre. His breaths came out in spurts, he didn't realise how far he had been from the headquarters. He cursed himself for not being careful, he should of known better, 30 years of service and a captain of the most respecteted regiment, a mistake like that again could get him killed, especially now. He tried to calm down and slow his breathing as he entered the building. His thoughts were rushing through his head, everything that had happened was filling his brain and he desperately tried to organize the information.

By the time he saw the doors his breathing had returned to normal and he had formed some semblance of a report in his head to relay back to his superiors. He took one more breath as he stepped into the bio-scanner. The doors slid open and he entered the room. The sparse nature of the room offered a sense of familiarity of home to this alien world. But home was an old context to the warriors of the Onyx Regiment's. A wonderful world, a highly bio-diverse landscape. Mountains that rivaled those of Ancient Terra and oceans as deep as they were large. All ruined by the war that lasted generations. He had fought in that war. His eyes glazed over as he remembered the war torn landscape. Shell's fell across the fields, pounding the earth to near-death. Mountains fell from the fire-power unleashed by the alien's. Price's blood boiled as he remembered the attack on his city, wave after wave of aliens stormed the walls, and the defenders turned them away. He was but a boy then, but despite his young blood he had killed scores that day. But no matter how many they killed they kept coming, eventually breaking the walls, with their plasma technology. The beasts stormed through the city ransacking everything, killing anyone. He had escaped, with a small portion of the populous. The blood ran through the streets following in the aliens wake; he had wept that day. But his father taught him a valuable lesson also that day:

"Son, remember this, it matters not how many you kill, there will always be someone else wanting to kill you. So promise me this; fight, fight on. Do your father proud son."

Price remembered; he had never forgotten his fathers advice. He had fought on, and won. If you call the sacrifice the Primus had to make a victory.

It brought a lump to his throat as he recalled boarding the Honour of Onyx, the second evacuation ship. It still pained him to think about abandoning his home. But it had to of be done, they were losing the war. As they exited the atmosphere, the blazing inferno that the planet had become burned beneath. 34 strategically placed Lotus Detonation Mines tore the planet apart, while the Onyxians had fled from the Storm of Fire, as it was later called by the regiments. Price now realized why the Primus had changed over the course of the last 30 years. The original peerless, inspirational, charasmatic man was long gone. Leaving behind an empty, hardened soldier, from that day on he refused to be called by his original name, remembered still by only the very oldest members of the Onyxian community. He was the one who had ripped the planet asunder, he was the one that had left their planet to burn, he had turned the entire world into fleet of ships. Every man, woman and child was his responsibility from now. And it was that pressure that had driven the man inwards. The Ordo Xenos fleet of Space Marines had done little to help him be alleviated of that pressure. But the induction into the Imperium had done lots for the regiments, as they looked to fight on in the name of their once beautiful planet.

Price looked up, and surveyed the room again. A few shelves of books and a main frame logic engine sat in-front of him. The Primus sat directly in front of him behind a simple steel desk, his gaze penetrating and cold, as always. To his left his second in command Mordeci, the tactician of the regiments and personal communicator of the Primus. And to the right, of the Primus, sat the official ambasador from Terra istelf, tasked with teaching the Onyxians about the Imperium, for that the people respected him, and also to find any sign's of heresy within the community, this lost his favour with the people. Price gazed forwards and stood to attention.

“Captain Price, glad to have you back, took your time about it” Mordeci commented dryly to chuckles from the men behind him. He smiled, then lent forward. “What news of the outer defences?”

“It's our internal defences that are the problem sir,” Price replied assertivly “Chaos is within our gates!”

hope you like it, and please comment after reading with advice and how you think it's going :huh:

Athiair :D

i hope to have the next installment done by next weekend. this is my plan with the story. one full post a week. posted at the weekend. thats the plan if i manage to stick with it is an entirely different matter ;)

glad your enjoying it B)

Athiair :D

As the Prussian general and military theorist Carl Philipp Gottlieb von Clausewitz said: "Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung!" (English: "No plan survives the first contact with the enemy!").

Plans are, essentially, guidelines, which aid you in your spontaneous decisions which in turn destroy the original plan itself :lol:

In any case, if you try to write as much as fast as possible without a decline in quality, then that's all you can do and anyone can expect of you :D

Anyways, looking forward to the next part!

P.S.: Even with Skirax' updates/corrections, I'm still detecting minor mistakes. For example:

"know where" instead of "nowhere". I'm not trying to antagonize anyone, you're doing a good job and Skirax is a great help, but you still might like to read through it very carefully and remove the few remaining mistakes.

Keep up the work!

*smacks head on wall* Oh wait, there's an empticon for this... :P ;)

And my 'No Plan Survives Contact With The B&C' was a take on that statement, Ufthak. B&C's syllables rhyme with enemy. Geddit?

sorry guys i've been swamped with school work this entire week. and recently buying Mass Effect 2. and i haven't been able to write anything what so ever. i hope to maybe write some this weekend, maybe friday and sunday. if i find time.

but i have an english literature exam coming up in 2 weeks and i better revise :P

thanks for all the comments, i will try to get something up soon :)

Athiair :P

ps. and now i've also got another project to deal with, being the Dungeon Master (first time ever for me) for a new set of D+D players. [gulp]

yes antique_nova you are right. i've been playing the game for most of today. i mean i have another game i want to try out which i've ignored becuase of ME2. and also i have yet to finish Halo: 3 considering i only got about a month ago.

but i have done the next chapter. i have PM'ed Skirax and just waiting for him to reply with the edited version :P

Athiair :confused:

Not just the availability factor but the size of a boltgun and the recoil it will produce for a Human... Even a 12 guage shotgun needs a human to hold it with two hands and still has recoil so imagine a boltgun...

Imagine a modified boltgun and a hard ass captain price! GO GO GO, FOR ALL YOU GREEN HORNS WHO WANTED TO SEE ALIENS UP CLOSE, THIS IS GONNA BE YOUR LUCKY DAY :cuss. Ahhhhh....Halo series FTW.

Custodian Athiair: Some advice on the next few weeks of life. If you don't stop your game now, you want ever stop until the day before the exam. Seriously, if you carry on you will get caught up with new information and you will want to know more, the information throughout the game, especially the one concerning the bugs that have been kidnapping human colonies, is intoxicating and makes you carry on playing well past the time of breakfast, lunch and dinner. So for you own lifes sake, stop and work ^_^.

thanks

antique_nova

sorry for the late post guys. and i doubt it will be ready next week either (well posted anyway, because of DofE)

but anyway enjoy

Kyle, the ambassador collapsed onto the floor at the news. Mordeci leapt up and quickly closed the distance to Price.

“Are you sure, Price,” he questioned. Mordeci was one of the few characters in the Primes that you didn't want to get on the wrong side of. His roughly shaven face was mere inches from Prices’ eyes.

“As much as can be sir,” Price replied concisely “I saw it's symbol!”

“This can't be happening,” spat Mordeci, his anger rising “We have been tasked with protecting Tarl, and we have failed.” He paced back to the console and began hammering away at the input device, scanning for all the security systems and videos. “Where were you, exactly, when you encountered the traitor?”

“I was on my way back from the outer defences, and my auspex had malfunctioned. So I was in the middle of the main factory complex, is the best I can guess, sir.”

“Why was your auspex out?” Mordeci cut back

“At first I thought the smoke had damaged the circuit board. Afterwards I found out the heretic had been following me with a localized jamming beacon” he replied, pulling the remains of the system from his back pocket. “It got damaged as I took down the heretic”

“Damn you Price, why didn't you take him alive?!” cut in Mordeci “We need information!”

“It wouldn't have made a difference if I had sir, after eliminating the perpetrator, I came under heavy fire from multiple hostiles.” Price remained calm despite the overwhelming frustration of Mordeci. “They seem to be well dug in, with the knowledge to do damage. The whole of section F is under cover of darkness, they know what they're doing sir”

“You say multiple hostiles, how many, with what weaponry?” Kyle seemed to have recovered, as he asked the question - still tentative.

“I can't say for sure, but I was assaulted by at least a dozen. Simply armed, the basic lasgun, although it seemed one did have a high powered sniper. I took down who I could, but there is almost certainly many more of them”

“Well Price you seemed to have the most knowledge out of all of us here, what do you suggest?” Mordeci had gathered a bit of his tactical head.

“Personally sir, I would suggest we lead a team into Section F, as soon as possible, eliminating them before they do too much damage. There would be certain risks, we are yet still unsure of their total numbers and armoury, but if we can get them before they realize, then we could prevent a major disaster before it can take effect,” replied Price

“Sounds solid Price, organise a team,” offered Mordeci

“No!” came a strong commanding voice from the back of the room. All three turned to look at the Primus.

“I'm sorry sir? I don't understand; we need to attack now!” Mordeci quizzed.

“Denied, and before you forget this regiment is still mine to control” the Primus roared.

“As you wish sir,” replied Mordeci. “Sorry Price, we're going to have to wait” With that Price was ushered out of the room. His choler rising, he was right, they needed to act now. This problem wont eradicate itself, and the more they wait the more time they have to prepare. Price walked out of the command centre and headed towards his platoons quarters.

He stopped off at the armoury, replenishing his ammo stocks, and strapping his still burning leg at the medical centre. The plan was already formulated in his mind and he was going to follow it through, no matter the consequences. He passed through the heavy steel doors into the mess-hall; Price was starved, he hadn't eaten since this morning. He sat down and ate what scraps were left from the platoons earlier meal.

“Typical, they never leave any for me” Price joked out loud.

“Well that’s not particularly true, is it sir,” a voice resonated from the door to the men’s individual quarters.

“Well at least someone stayed up to wish me back, eh, Thomson,” he said as he turned out his chair.

“Not as much sir, more like watched over the food,” Richard Thomson had been Price's best friend since the Storm of Fire, and always had his back. “Good to have you back sir, now if you don't mind I need to crash, you were rather late.”

“What time is it?” Price asked

“Well if you really want to know, effectively shut-up-and-let-me-sleep time,” laughed Thomson.

“Well tough for you that I can't let you do that, wake up the team. We've got some fighting to do,” snarled Price.

enjoy and comment :)

Athiair ;)

:D I like Price...

Generally good, though I would have wanted to know why the Primus denied such a strategically wise (if tactically blunt) decision...

Also, is Primus a rank or a name? And what is Mordeci's position within the regiment? Is Primus the equivalent to Colonel (= regimental commanding officer) and is Mordeci the name of the Lieutenant Colonel or Major (= regimental executive officer)?

The Primus is the head of the regiment. Mordeci is a person.

I think the reason why the Primus didn't comission the party while become clear soon.

Archived