FW: Icon Packs....

you may have to trim and or sand them down I've don't have any resin XP so more knowledgeable battle brother please come to aide

So the Icon pack looks like this on Forge world

FW Icons

But it actually arrives like:

Actual FW Icons

I'd love some advice for how to get them out of that extra stuff.....

It is actually a good thing that they come with all that flash and sprue. All those fiddly parts would very likely break before you could use them. As with any FW stuff-Bring some modelling-fu when you deal with it. It is wonderful but takes some time and skill to use.

A good trick I found with the resin Icon packs is to use a powered sander of some sort, a large dremmel wheel for instance, and come from the back of the icon you want. once you reduce the thickness of the surrounding flash to a point that you can just about see through it, you can come in with a decent Hobby knife and cut out the icon you want.

Sand the back side down until you can cut through it and around the icons.

To get them off the strip (which is the pouring gate - where the resin goes in) use a fine bladed saw, like a razor saw.

Do not use clippers - you're just as likely to make them shatter as not.

Go slow and patiently. If you rush it, you will probably ruin them and hurt yourself.

Yeah, I broke 2 out of 3 Ultramarine icons, they're a pain to deal with. So I have 2 solutions-

1. I Pretend I'm carving the icon from scratch. That way I just carve it calmly and purposefully and take my time, because it does take quite a bit to get them ready.

2. Make a backing out of the extra resin. You can cut a circle or rectangle around the icon, then trim down those lines that stick out and it looks like the icon is mounted on a piece of material. Slightly easier than cutting the icon out.

I recently bought this:

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Learnin...rkshop(0044582)

and modified it with a mains adapter I had lying around, and a new sheet of 600 grit paper on it's bench sander attachment.

It's slow enough to sand resin nicely without melting it. Could do with a higher torque motor in there and a few other modifications, but all in all, damn handy. The lathe works alright with modelling putty and so on (new / repaired Eldar weapons now easy!)

Note: When sanding resin, you *really* need to wear a mask. Really.

Out of the box, it's not great - and there are a few changes I want to make - brass spindles and a proper chuck for the lathe as well as improved bearings, adjusting the drill press to have a clamp rather than a hole. Nothing major.

• 2 weeks later...
I also noticed these icons are rather thick... and when looking at it sideways it almost looks like it is stuck on a backing... I'm almost wondering if I'm supposed to cut it off the backing rather than cut around the icon itself....

You won't manage to cut it off the backing, it'll just snap. I sanded mine down very carefully on the back til i got them as thick as I wanted.

Remember to wear some sort of mask when sanding resin, it's not good for you

And good luck getting the skull and crossbones off in one piece :)

Yeah I just saw someone elses and noticed how thin theirs was ... I'm going to go pry off the symbol off my vindicator and sand it down some (While wearing a mask ... as Resin can KILL YOU! (Or at least that's what I keep hearing))

Archived