Regular citadel paints thru an airbrush....

If this has been covered before I apologize. My search-fu is weak today....

If I was going to use and airbrush to base coat using Blood Red over white primer....

Would I want to this the blood red or use it straight?

If I were to thin it...how much...about what ratio?

If you intend to shoot paint not initially intended for an airbrush, ALWAYS thin that paint!

Unfortunately, I have no exact rastio for thinning GW paints for airbrush use. You will need to experiment. I suggest a consistency similar to heavy cream (slightly thicker than 2% milk).

For fresh pots (it thickens the older / more often it's opened) I find a ratio of about 2:1 or 3:2 works pretty well. I like to use windscreen wash as a thinner, but it does dry a lot faster, so be aware of tip dry or a possible dusty finish if you go that route.

The main thing you want to avoid is a very wet application - you're not going for a wash, and you don't want to blob up recesses. The paint should go on thin and look moist, not wet. Allow it to dry a little between coats.

I'm not talking foundation paint just the regular paint I normally do a

50:50 Water/Windex mix.

Then I use a 50:50 (Water/windex:paint) mix. Often you need to add a bit more of the mix or paint back in when you spray you'll eather have sputtering (Not a smooth air flow) or the paint will run like water and not stick (too much water/windex) So there is no exact number I find to it.

• 2 weeks later...
The Citadel paint range I find quite hard to airbrush with... Its a thick paint and unless you get the ratio spot on it runs or it just doesnt go on the way you would like. Also to add I find the Citadel paints a paint in the butt to clean off your airbrush even with the cleaner.. It tends to adhere to every single part and requires a bloody good scrub to come off.. My comparison would be to the Vallejo in this instance.

I have airbrushed over 6000 points of IG tanks, and now 2000 points of Crimson Fists.

I use an Aztek A470 and now the A7440 with all types of Citadel paints and washes.

The following ratios work the best IMO:

Citadel Paints = 50:50 Paint : Water

Citadel Metalic Paints = 50:50 Paint : Tamiya X20A Thinner

Citadel Foundation Paints = 50:50 Paint : Water (do not use Tamiya X20A thinner with foundation paints. I never had a problem until recently it turned the mix into gel inside my airbrush with Necron Abyss).

Citadel Washes = Thin with water as necessary for the tint you wish to use. They are perfectly safe to spray with no thinner and work very well unthinned.

For general painting try to thin your paints to the consistency of milk as a general rule of thumb.

X20A can be used for normal citadel colours, but water works fine and is a lot cheaper.

Any citadel paints I use 50:50 water, since it is a thick line of paints in general.

Vallejo paints I find a little easier to airbrush with, especially since there in the eye drop bottles.

Another important factor in the success and failure of using different paints is the nozzle diameter you're using. I justordered a .5mm nozzle for my Master G44 brush, because the standard .2mm was a little small for efficient application of primer coats. It was taking me ages to get primer applied due to the clogging issues of the small nozzle, as well as the tiny spray diameter.

What sort of nozzle/needle diameters are you folks using?

Archived