DV8's Project Log

DV8

Finished the battle-damage on my Vindicator.

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept22_2_vindicator.JPG

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept22_3_vindicator.JPG

The color is a lot closer in these photographs. Turned off HDR on my iPhone and bumped the contrast a bit in Photoshop.

DV8

Spent some time at GW working on my tanks; finished the battle damage on the two Baal Predators. Group-shot of all my tanks so far.

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept22_4_groupshot.jpg

DV8

Just went through your entire thread ;) and................I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!! ;)

How are you able to pop full armies in such a short time??? Is it the airbrush??? you don't have a day job??? or is it you actually make a living doing this??? ;) :eek :eek

What is the secret??? tell me! I've been struggling with my puny army for more then a year, and I have only three squads "some what" done to an ok standard. But you... besides having a ridiculous amount of armies, you put out such a zenith level job on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All that I have seen just left me astonished. I don't know what to say except what i said.

I need advice. ;)

Just went through your entire thread :D and................I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!! :huh:

How are you able to pop full armies in such a short time??? Is it the airbrush??? you don't have a day job??? or is it you actually make a living doing this??? :huh: :eek :eek

It is quite obvious... it's witchcraft and he is a heretic :P

Seriously though, I have to agree. Excellent job, I classify myself as a "decent" painter, but not to this standard and certainly not to this speed! Utterly insane, but loving it!

Great colour contrast between the weathering and the basecoat on those Lamenters DV8 works very well. Is that a colour wheel contrast or just something you worked up yourself? Also how do you plan to deal with the chapter markings for the marines - I'm thinking that painting a lot of chequer board freehand will slow things down a lot?

Looking forward to these progressing :P

I finished the battle damage on the first Auto-Las Predator last night (forgot to take pictures), and I started on the other two today during my lunch break:

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept23_1_predators.JPG

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept23_2_predators.JPG

*snip*

How are you able to pop full armies in such a short time??? Is it the airbrush??? you don't have a day job??? or is it you actually make a living doing this??? :P :eek :eek

*snip*

I work full time (8-4 Mon to Fri) as a Concept Artist. The benefit is no take-home commitments. With the missus in Montreal (Mcgill, 4th year), I have a lot of free time for myself, which invariably means lots of painting time. Coupled with an airbrush and easy/fast techniques, and I'd like to think I can crank out armies at a "relatively" quick pace (to a quality I am happy with).

Not keen on that shade of yellow. Good luck anyway :tu:

Ludovic

Yea it's a bit of an experiment. The models are actually more saturated in color, as the Imperial Armor books outline the Lamenters scheme as something closer to a dijon mustard "yellow". I'm hoping once I go back and work in some more depth/color with the washes (Gryphonne Sepia and Baal Red), the yellow will end up being quite rich.

Are you using a pencil for weathering like you did for your space wolves? Or using a different technique this time?

Hairspray. It's actually a LOT faster, if a bit finicky. I'm still getting the hang of it as this is the first time using it.

Great colour contrast between the weathering and the basecoat on those Lamenters DV8 works very well. Is that a colour wheel contrast or just something you worked up yourself? Also how do you plan to deal with the chapter markings for the marines - I'm thinking that painting a lot of chequer board freehand will slow things down a lot?

Looking forward to these progressing :tu:

I wouldn't really call it proper "color theory" as it was more just "Krylon Brown looks too stark next to Iyanden Darksun...let's try adding some Rust Red into the mix!". And it turned out looking pretty sick...and I was most pleased... :P

My final army list has only 21 infantry, so there really won't be a lot of freehanding on the marines. Plus checker-board patterns are easy.

HQ // Librarian: 100 pts

- Fear of the Darkness, Shield of Sanguinius

Elites // Furioso Dreadnought: 170 pts

- Blood Talons, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer

- Drop Pod

Troops // 5 Assault Marines: 140 pts

- Hand Flamer, Flamer

- Rhino, Hunter Killer Missile

Troops // 5 Asault Marines: 175 pts

- Meltagun

- Razorback with Twin-Las, Hunter Killer Missile

- Meltagun

- Razorback with Las-Plas, Hunter Killer Missile

- Meltagun

- Razorback with Las-Plas, Hunter Killer Missile

Fast Attack // Baal Predator: 155 pts

- Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Hunter Killer Missile

Fast Attack // Baal Predator: 155 pts

- Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Hunter Killer Missile

Fast Attack // 2 Land Speeder Typhoons: 200 pts

- Multi-Meltas, Typhoon Missile Launchers

Heavy Support // Predator: 135 pts

- Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons

Total // 1850 pts

DV8

My final army list has only 21 infantry, so there really won't be a lot of freehanding on the marines. Plus checker-board patterns are easy.

DV8

I've never tried chequer patterns and it's one of the things that keeps me from painting orks. Is there an easy technique to it or is it the usual practice, practice and more practice?

I've never tried chequer patterns and it's one of the things that keeps me from painting orks. Is there an easy technique to it or is it the usual practice, practice and more practice?

Take diluted paint (whatever base color the checks will be) and draw in a grid with a fine detail brush (the thinner your lines, the better).

Fill in every other square in alternating patterns.

Highlight/blend each square as normal.

DV8

Lots of progress. Almost finished my first Baal Predator "Deimos", all that's missing is the lenses and headlights (will be purple), some final decals (still en route in the mail), weathering powders, and tracks.

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept26_1_deimosfront.JPG

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept26_2_deimosleft.JPG

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept26_3_deimosright.JPG

I've also started on my second Baal Predator "Phobos".

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept26_4_phobosfront.JPG

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept26_5_phobosleft.JPG

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/lamenters/sept26_6_phobosright.JPG

DV8

That has to be some of the finest painting I've seen on these boards, and such speed!

The colour selection is outstanding and works perfectly, the freehand is top notch and those faded chequer patterns are excellent, subtle, understated but oh so effective. I think you've perfectly captured the essence of the Lamenters with these ;)

Are you using bionic enhancements to paint with such speed and quality, or do we need to send for the Inquisitors? ;)

bro....i love you man!! your paintjobs are epic and give me something to smile about when I am in the midst of it myself... :o

Airbrushes are the poo for a painter...getting your paint mixes consistent and layering is so easy with one...i highly recommend em to anyone, im on my 4th army (marine...sold to TS my SW's, IG[lotsa armor] and a few unmentionables here;) since I purchased one

the faded front armor hearts are my fav

Consider me a fan, I absolutely love your style and I just read through all 11 pages, almost made me loose my breath.

When you airbrush your tanks how do you approach them ?? Do you do any sort of pre shading or do you shade afterwards ??

It depends. On my Lamenters I avoided pre-shading (I deliberately kept my initial layers higher contrast, and decided I would be using washes by hand afterwards to achieve the stronger contrast/shading I wanted) because it would drastically change how effectively the hairspray would work (more paint layers means more effort is necessary to get the battle damage looking right).

Loving the yellows, and the sheer scale of armoured might makes me wonder if you're really looking to play scaled-up Epic. The understated insignia on that last tank is simply beautiful.

I pretty much play scaled-up epic. The army relies almost entirely on the armor, and the infantry is simply there to field more armor.

Hey I saw earlier in the thread you mentioned you draw/illustrate for a living. Mind if I ask what?

Also, I'm jealous of your free time. ^_^

Concept artist; at present I do mostly architectural and environmental concepts. Some product design, POP stuff and character design here and there but I'm primarily a technical artist so buildings and environments are my bread and butter.

DV8

Just going back and looking through this thread I felt the need to comment.

I rarely comment on the hobby sections of this forum as any constructive critisizm gets flamed and everyone cheers work without offering decent advice for improvement.

On top of that I have a hate for spacewolves however yours are beautiful! Not done in that cartoon blue, mat greys with weathering, great tones and shading, realistic looking bronze work and faces, they are absolutely stunning and to top it off it isn't a model you have done a whole army like this. Yours are the first spacewolves I have ever liked (mainly because they are done properly and don't all have blazing red hair and and rediculous haircuts) and I just felt the need to tell you to keep posting so that others can see your beautiful work.

Congratulations on your hard work paying off.

PS,

Faded check work on your lamenter vehicles... Lovely, just lovely. The subtlety of your work has not been overlooked.

Regards,

Crynn

Man, your work is amazing, as always.

Maybe it has to do with your Concept Artist job, but your chosen colours are fantastic.

Could you please write up a brief summary for these tanks´ steps from step 1 to the last??

I mean, wich priming, layers, when you apply the hairspray (with the airbrush or from the can), washes, etc.

I am gonna love this army, really.

Keep it going ¡

Archived