DV8's Project Log

DV8

Another update on Justicar Weiss. Contrary to above, this model alone has swayed me away from pre-heresy Thousand Sons

DV8

This saddens me greatly. I say you should do a pre-heresy 1K son mock up and let us see!

Just another update on Grimaldus. Been plugging away at him on my spare time at work.

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/projectlog/February7_1.jpg

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/projectlog/February7_2.JPG

EDIT: second photo wasn't showing up.

DV8

Please tell me you have a tutorial for that D:

Grimaldus is my favorite chaplain in 40k fluff... mainly because hes not bits and pieces haha.

Did the modellers actually design Grimaldus as if he (or an artificer) glued/welded a cross to the crozius to conceal the aquila? ;)

Not wearing the aquila is one thing but defacing the Emperor's symbol, that's just wrong.

Awesome what you did with the model though, DV8.

Just came across this... nice work DV8.

I gotta kick out of your 'sold' list... looks like mine except there were a few chaos armies in the middle there. But I agree with you, and I think it makes you a better painter in the long run.

I just can't sell myself on the metallics of Grey Knights. (Personally, not an NMM fan) Especially after doing thousands of points in iron warriors. Different metal, but still... Plus Boltgun tastes horrid!

I like what you did with Grimaldus too. He was the one Black Templar character I never did.... The tabards are a nice 'stone' type of colour, and the eye glow, if done by hand, is really nice and subtle.

I especially like the pose of the Justicar. I am probably going to get into reposing my Wolfguard, and even thought of doing Grey Knights just because of the smaller model count so it would perhaps be feasible as an army wide project. Have you considered doing that with Grey Knights? Are you pinning with paper clips...? or?

very nice work on justicar weiss brother.

the pose is very cool and the use of parts is excellent :D

though one thing i was fretting about is the storm bolters missing magazine. i agree that the standard mag looks very silly, but i think you should've replaced it with a drum mag, belt feed or something like that.

just my two bleached skulls

Unbelieveable work man as always, I am just getting back into the swing of things after about 3 years of not really painting, was showing some coworkers good old Verdamis their reaction said it all!

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while; I've been swept away from le Power Armor by other projects fun and mysterious (not really, Dark Eldar, Corsair Eldar BFG Fleet, Orc Bloodbowl Team, and Tomb Kings), so I haven't had a lot of time for PA updates. A bunch of us from the local GW are doing a 3-month painting challenge though, so this'll get me motivated to finish up some projects I have lying around, in particular my BA Vanguard Assault Marines which I started way back when then forgot about when I shelved the army for a bit, plus my Warhound.

Since I've started playing with my Sanguinary Guard again, I figure a good place to start is with the Vanguard.

Pinkie-fied way back when:

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/bloodangels/vanguard.jpg

And their current status:

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/bloodangels/vanguard2.JPG

I especially like the pose of the Justicar. I am probably going to get into reposing my Wolfguard, and even thought of doing Grey Knights just because of the smaller model count so it would perhaps be feasible as an army wide project. Have you considered doing that with Grey Knights? Are you pinning with paper clips...? or?

Smaller armies are definitely projects I love, simply because lower model count means I can spend more time on each individual piece. That being said, I've tried and tried with the Grey Knight book, and just can't write a list that I would want to play. Insofar as a collectors army would be concerned, I would rather do Black Templars or Ultramarines.

However, I do have one tiny criticism... his right wrist is WAY too long.

Yes, I realized that after I had green stuffed it all. But with how fragile all the purity seals are and how much of a pain it would be to resculpt it, it really isn't worth my time. I'm not too worried for that model since it'll just sit in my display case.

DV8

Probably a combination of crappy iPhone camera and bad lighting, but their armor color currently matches my Sanguinary Priest:

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/bloodangels/thanatos.jpg

Not the normal saturated red you're probably used to, I know, but I like it.

DV8

Looking through the endless hordes of pictures, I realised that I was enjoying it, though it seems like there are hundreds. Your models are just that good. :)

One comment though: On the Guard you just painted, the wax on the purity seal looks to be the same color as the armor. Maybe go for something a bit darker or lighter so it doesn't blend in?

And did you ever paint the Crowe-stand in?

Probably a combination of crappy iPhone camera and bad lighting, but their armor color currently matches my Sanguinary Priest:

Not the normal saturated red you're probably used to, I know, but I like it.

DV8

It's girly pink! :wacko:

Is this all part of a cunning plan? While my army laughs at your girly pink armour you casually lop off a few heads? :D

By the way the painting looking great as ever DV8

Now we just need those promised Night Lords. Please let us know when you get started. :ph34r: :lol:

Honestly I don't know if I will. I'm at a cross-roads insofar as projects are concerned. I have enough to keep me busy till end of December of this year. Assuming I don't procrastinate too much (I can't guarantee that some slacking may or may not occur), I should have everything I want done, done by the end of this year.

From there, I have set myself to finish 1 army or project per year. For 2012 there's a fair bit I would like to do, but I haven't really made up my mind as to what yet. Here's currently what I'm jumping around between (in no particular order):

Pre-Heresy Night Lords

Pre-Heresy World Eaters

Ultramarines (Pre or Post, undecided)

Black Templars

Elysian Drop Troops

Bretonnians

Savage Orc army

Dwarf Slayer-themed army

All of the above are concepts or themes that tickle my fancy, and would be an exercise almost entirely in modelling and fluff. I wouldn't give a hoot about building a competitive list. And depending on whether the new Codices will tickle my fancy, add these to the list:

Necrons

Sisters of Battle

Whatever it comes down to, I will only pick one and back-burner the rest (perhaps another project for another year).

DV8

Vanguard Veterans are finished! Sorry if the first photo is a little dark, but I can't seem to brighten it without washing out the colors, and my iPhone camera is only so great. I'll take better shots when I get a chance.

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/bloodangels/Vanguard3.JPG

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/bloodangels/Vanguard4.JPG

http://spacewithinspace.net/images/bloodangels/Vanguard5.JPG

Now on to Tomb Kings and Titans!

DV8

Why does pink armor bother people so much? I dare say I should paint an entire army in bright rich pink (Hello Kitty, here I come!).

THEN lets see you bring on the effin' pink jokes... :D :)

DV8

Why does pink armor bother people so much? I dare say I should paint an entire army in bright rich pink (Hello Kitty, here I come!).

THEN lets see you bring on the effin' pink jokes... :ph34r: :wallbash:

DV8

If you paint them, no one will care! :lol:

Apparently they do... What about Night-Lords-disguised-as-bright-pink-Hello-Kitty-marines for a next project? :lol:

DV8

:wallbash: The horror! :ph34r: That would certainly torture their victims into mindlessness. Hey! New ideas for the next ADB novel!

Archived