DV8's Project Log

DV8

In so far as armies are concerned, the new Tomb Kings are being released in a few months time,

They're being released next month ;)

Ludovic

They sure are :tu:

My local GW - which is a single man shop due to GW cost cutting :tu: - has been working busily in the little spare time the manager gets building a new battleboard set and terrain pieces ready for next months releases.

Wow, this is another fantastic painted army from your brushes.

Congrats again. I will love to see what you do with that Justicar.

By the way, could you please explain wich steps did you follow to paint these ones so quickly? I mean, wich priming, basecoat, highlights and shadows made with the airbrush, and weathering, skin, metallics and yellow steps too.

In so far as armies are concerned, the new Tomb Kings are being released in a few months time,

They're being released next month :D

Ludovic

I know that now, having seen this month's WD with the snazzy splash teaser. I hope they make new undead cavalry. My vampires need some Black Knights!

Wow, this is another fantastic painted army from your brushes.

Congrats again. I will love to see what you do with that Justicar.

By the way, could you please explain wich steps did you follow to paint these ones so quickly? I mean, wich priming, basecoat, highlights and shadows made with the airbrush, and weathering, skin, metallics and yellow steps too.

There's a tutorial in the Librarium that I did on exactly how I paint my Space Wolves. The only difference for the Wolfwing is that instead of applying the washes by hand (Leviathan Purple, Asurmen Blue, and Devlan Mud), I used an airbrush. This cut down on a lot of time.

Another update on Justicar Weiss. Contrary to above, this model alone has swayed me away from pre-heresy Thousand Sons to do an actual Grey Knight army based on Justicar Weiss leading the cleansing on some Basilica of St. What's-her-face. My actual building of the army, however, is still several months away, as I have a few other projects I want to finish up first (Titans + gaming table).

Justicar Weiss will act as a counts-as Castellan Garran Crowe.

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/justicar_weiss_left.JPG

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/justicar_weiss_right.JPG

DV8

Another update on Justicar Weiss. Contrary to above, this model alone has swayed me away from pre-heresy Thousand Sons to do an actual Grey Knight army based on Justicar Weiss leading the cleansing on some Basilica of St. What's-her-face.

http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/6408/lukecriesuh7.jpg

Aw those Bloodletters are gonna get it...

Just wanna ask though, are those free flowing purity seals sculpted over armature? I'm just terrified that they'll snap! The other thing is that his right hand wrist seems a little too elongated but that's just nitpicking..

Also, I dont think i congratulated you on your vow completion! Always watching but forgot to leave a comment. T H E Y A R E A M A Z I N G. Seriously, do you have some kind of ability to freeze time? That kind of paint job across so many models in a short time. Very impressed :thanks:

There's a tutorial in the Librarium that I did on exactly how I paint my Space Wolves. The only difference for the Wolfwing is that instead of applying the washes by hand (Leviathan Purple, Asurmen Blue, and Devlan Mud), I used an airbrush. This cut down on a lot of time.

I knew it, and in fact I have it converted to pdf , next to all your youtube videos.. :huh:

Sorry for that, I should have been more concrete: what I wanted to know is how do you apply those 3 washes with your airbrush : if you give them to all the armor (as you made when you painted them by brush), and what do you use to dilute them (and the ratio).

Thanks again for all your posts. Justicar Weiss is really inspiring, can´t wait to see what you make with those GK.

D-ee-yam, man, that's an impressive model you've made there. The stance, the choice of head and weapons, the way all the flowing details come together into a coherent line of motion...brilliant. Wonderful work. :lol:

Thanks guys, although I'll be honest, I thought many of you would have recognized where I drew the inspiration from!

If you have Codex: Daemonhunters, consult page 9, captioned:

Justicar Weiss leads the purging of the tainted basilica of St. Mariel.

If you have Codex: Grey Knights, consult page 12, the inset photograph/illustration.

Seriously how could nobody catch that? :) (Though I think Dark Apostle did...)

EDIT:

Aw those Bloodletters are gonna get it...

Just wanna ask though, are those free flowing purity seals sculpted over armature? I'm just terrified that they'll snap! The other thing is that his right hand wrist seems a little too elongated but that's just nitpicking..

No, they're just thin strips of Milliput that were shaped and left to cure. It does mean that they are fragile and if mishandled, will snap. It also means that NOBODY but me will touch the model (I've already had to refuse a half-dozen gamers at the local GW). It's frightening that they reached out to grab the model first, and only asked when fingers were mere inches away from the model.

And yes, the right hand wrist is a little too elongated. I only noticed it AFTER I'd finished the purity seals. Now it's too late.

Also, I dont think i congratulated you on your vow completion! Always watching but forgot to leave a comment. T H E Y A R E A M A Z I N G. Seriously, do you have some kind of ability to freeze time? That kind of paint job across so many models in a short time. Very impressed :)

Not so much freeze time as just paint-blitz really really fast. I just store up energy for months at a time, and then blitz for however long until I lose motivation/energy. And then I return to my default lethargic state, to summon and gather my strength for when it's needed next.

DV8

Thanks guys, although I'll be honest, I thought many of you would have recognized where I drew the inspiration from!

Seriously how could nobody catch that? :ph34r:

Did catch it, though was too lazy to comment :lol:

Ludovic

These stormbolters are really far too big. I wonder what could be done with a vanilla one, reworked from the termy box witha band feed.

The rest of the mini is very pleasant and dynamic, pose is excellent !

DS

These stormbolters are really far too big. I wonder what could be done with a vanilla one, reworked from the termy box witha band feed.

The rest of the mini is very pleasant and dynamic, pose is excellent !

DS

They'd be the same size. Having just spent 3 weeks painting 20 some-odd Storm Bolters, I can tell you that the Grey Knight Storm Bolters are identical in size to regular Terminator Storm Bolters. The only difference is that the clip has been moved to the side, and there is no grip or trigger.

If anything, I think the Storm Bolters look fine so long as you leave the clips off.

I knew it, and in fact I have it converted to pdf , next to all your youtube videos.. ;)

Sorry for that, I should have been more concrete: what I wanted to know is how do you apply those 3 washes with your airbrush : if you give them to all the armor (as you made when you painted them by brush), and what do you use to dilute them (and the ratio).

Straight wash through the airbrush. They're diluted enough that I don't need to thin them out further. I don't, however, go whole-hog and just spray them full blast; they're applied to the shadows and crevices, taking care to fade properly.

Did catch it, though was too lazy to comment ;)

Ludovic

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. You're one of them now! :P

DV8

That is truly an impressive conversion you have made DV8. Is there any chance of you painting him or a "test model" In Grey Knight colors? I'm just starting collecting a Grey Knights force and would love to see you do a step by step tutorial before I go painting my own models up. I can only imagine your take on such lovely figures think I could learn a thing or two before painting my own stuff just to finish and be envious of how yours turn out. If you don't have time or the initiative too paint up a test model perhaps you wouldn't mind telling us how you plan to go about eventually painting up your army. Possibly just the colors/stages you have planned so I could give it a go myself? I would imagine that the color palette shouldn't be too complex but the "blue-steel" shade that they are supposed to be is something I have never tried before and want to get your input on it.

That right wrist needs some real attention as just now that is far to stretched!

Looking back at it, I realize now, but I would have to practically destroy the model to rebuild the wrist. Not worth it in my opinion, since this isn't a competition piece.

That is truly an impressive conversion you have made DV8. Is there any chance of you painting him or a "test model" In Grey Knight colors? I'm just starting collecting a Grey Knights force and would love to see you do a step by step tutorial before I go painting my own models up. I can only imagine your take on such lovely figures think I could learn a thing or two before painting my own stuff just to finish and be envious of how yours turn out. If you don't have time or the initiative too paint up a test model perhaps you wouldn't mind telling us how you plan to go about eventually painting up your army. Possibly just the colors/stages you have planned so I could give it a go myself? I would imagine that the color palette shouldn't be too complex but the "blue-steel" shade that they are supposed to be is something I have never tried before and want to get your input on it.

I'll see what I can do. I have a different color scheme in mind for my Grey Knights (and thus Justicar Weiss), but I have couple of the new plastics floating around I can spare. I'll see what I can knock up (would make a good Librarium article too I think ... HAH! I succeed in my LPC vow and I still end up writing an article...).

DV8

That right wrist needs some real attention as just now that is far to stretched!

Looking back at it, I realize now, but I would have to practically destroy the model to rebuild the wrist. Not worth it in my opinion, since this isn't a competition piece.

I'll see what I can do. I have a different color scheme in mind for my Grey Knights (and thus Justicar Weiss), but I have couple of the new plastics floating around I can spare. I'll see what I can knock up (would make a good Librarium article too I think ... HAH! I succeed in my LPC vow and I still end up writing an article...).

DV8

That sounds great to me. Any advice you can give on painting grey knight armor would be a help to me. Thanks

I recognized the inspiration yesterday while I was looking through the dex, and had a "ahhhhhh that's how" moment.

DV8

Fantastic news.

You sir are one of those great hobbysts: you take the effort and time to teach others your knowledge.

Thanks as always.

• 1 month later...
Justicar Weiss will act as a counts-as Castellan Garran Crowe.

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/justicar_weiss_left.JPG

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/wips/justicar_weiss_right.JPG

Uhm this is 1,000 times better the the official mode for Crowe I have to be honest. And that picture you've based this upon is hands down my favorite piece of Grey Knights artwork to date.

Archived