Vanguard Veterans

BERZERKER!

I would like to share with you all my latest WiP miniature. I'm looking for C&C here guys.

Whilst i like the Vanguard Veteran miniatures, i despise working with metal miniatures, and £23 for 5 minis is a little too much for my budget.

I decided to put together my own set of VV, using the plastics from the assault and death company boxes. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so my models have to have harnesses for their jump packs, with the exception of sang guard. I want to capture the ferocity of the BA whilst maintaining the 'ornate' look of a veteran.

My first miniature is just about finished. Legs from assault sprue, they were a little plain so i added a crux terminatus medal (which was filed thin) to the knee. I re-positioned the other leg, as the pose was a little off. The body is from the assault box. The hand flamer i put onto a bent arm, also for pose reasons. The head, chainsword arm and both shoulder pads are from the DC box, as will be the jump-pack.

So, without further ADO, here he is:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4992/img0539qb.jpg

A nice start, I look forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the squad.

Are you planning on drilling a hole in his foot and have him flying, or is his foot going to be planted on the base?

Have you tried fitting him with the jump pack? The shoulder pad you used on the left arm, sometimes they present a devil of a problem with packs.

A nice start, I look forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the squad.

Are you planning on drilling a hole in his foot and have him flying, or is his foot going to be planted on the base?

Have you tried fitting him with the jump pack? The shoulder pad you used on the left arm, sometimes they present a devil of a problem with packs.

I was thinking of trying to do the same as the metal VV, using rock formations or maybe fallen enemies of the holy emperor. I have test fitted the shoulder pad, and it just fits.

Also, im thinking the armour still looks a little plain for a VV, particularly the legs, but i dont know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I like this guy too, again the dynamic pose works very well.

As far as the ornateness, are you planning to use the DC jump packs with this squad, as that should give them some more BA-ness. Although besides the judicious use of BA bits and adding in extra colours for the paint job-perhaps golds, or a specific "veteran" colour to tie them in together if you have multiple squads, and mark them out from the rest of the force perhaps?

If its of any interest, for my VV squad I used a combination of Assault Squad, Death Company and Command Squad bits, and I plan on painting them with a different coloured head and shoulder trim to the rest of my marines.

I look forward to seeing the whole squad once their finished :-)

FOXX

Hi Guys,

Another pic. Posted this in another topic already, but i will add him here as the're all the same squad.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/184/img0633vu.jpg

Facing a bit of a dilemma now, to make these a Vanguard Veteran Squad or a Honour Guard, for the hidden priest. Either way, i will have another mini well underway in the next.. 10 minutes :) .

Another problem i'm having is choosing a loadout. I was planning on giving one model a thunder hammer, but with LCs already in the squad it seems inefficient to try and make the squad capable against both mech and infantry. What does everyone think? Is a TH a viable weapon?

Thanks

Andrew

I find a Thunderhammer never goes amiss. Your other squad members kill a squad with a IC, your thunderhammer guy kills the IC. Wallop.

Excellent looking minis, great poses and I especially love the first guy :)

Yeah, a single TH or even P-fist in most squads is pretty handy, helps add extra punch against troops and especially characters, and also means if you end up in a situation where ur only viable target is a tank/walker/big armoured hard to kill thing, then having the strength 8 (9with FC) attacks will definately be very handy!! Thats how my army list is composed currently, plenty of Fists and Melta Bombs :-) - hopefully it will be effective lol.

FOXX

Vanguard and Honour Guard have very similar colour schemes. so if you don't mind painting a few extra mini's (banner, champion, special and I'm sure you will do a priest anyway) then you can have both. Its what I'm going to do! Nice poses btw :sweat:

Third VV almost finished. Might add more bling.

The torso isn't glued onto the legs yet, and i havent added any studs/chains.

I altered the positioning of the arms, so that the hammer is more horizontal. Hence, the hammer is 2/3mm longer than before.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9035/img0650pm.jpg

C&C please.

Thanks

Is that helmet from the Venerable Dread? Looks awesome :-) .

I like the model, and the subtle but effective work on the TH, which at the very least should add some variety if u use any more in the army, but I think it looks a bit better being less "point at the sky" .

As always looking forward to seeing the full squad, and some paint on them :-) .

FOXX

The claws came from a bitz site. The right hand claw is from the SW set. I reposed it, and removed the iconography from the back of the fist, which is simple enough to shave or file off. The left hand fist is from the SM commander sprue.

I was lucky enough to buy the limited edition SW captain with the pair of lightning claws. These claws are extra long and really stand out, I am planning to use them for one of my Honorguard. I really like the subtle changes you have crafted repositioning the legs. The Crux Terminatus on the kneepad is quite striking to say the least. Can't wait to see them painted.

0b :HQ:

An update on hammer;

I have reposed the left foot to give a more dynamic pose;

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4761/img0653s.jpg

I have also finished adding studs to his greaves and the band around his thigh.

I want to pose him leaping from some obstacle (rock, battlefield debris, fallen foe/comrade) to smite something with his hammer, like so;

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5011/img0655u.jpg

(it has just occurred to me that this is a very Seth pose)

As i said in my original post, i want to capture the ferocity and bloodlust of the BA. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

C&C please,

Thanks,

Andrew

Archived