Name of the Emperor

I see it like this, the Emperor may or may not have been Jesus,Alexander,Hitler e.t.c, but I think that he probably wasn't. Instead of Jesus, He may have been one of the apostles(perhaps even Judas, it would work after all) If not Hitler or Alexander, one of their advisors,. Remember, the Emperor waited over 10'000 years to reveal himself, I don't think he would before he thought mankind was ready. I see him as working in the shadows before revealing himself.

It's interesting how this went from what the Emperor's name is to how he's some master designer of humanity. When in fact he is human, an extremely powerful human at that, but still human. Even if he were as smart as some of you say he is, he'd understand the humans are self-destructive and without someone infinitely more powerful than he or perhaps even the Chaos gods are; then humanity is doomed to live a life of constant war and never truly be unified -and that's why "In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war." It makes more sense to go in contex of the fluff in 40k than to try and take parts of real history and place it into this fiction. ;) Don't mean to be a party crasher though!

But as for his name I have not the slightest idea :huh:

There are some who call him... Tim

EDIT: Some say he fought Horus while drunk... and that he wanted Magnus to be the Primarch of the Thousand Pirates...

All we know is; he's called The Emperor

Haha thread won. Who knows? Maybe his real name is Stig, it would explain a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to think he is the one that gave the custodes inspiration for their always growing name. So after x thousand years of guiding humanity his name is immense. Would take like 10 days to say it fully or something so he assumes something simple but undeniable in its authority, The Emperor.

His sheer presence means that no one but a primarch could even think about questioning that title.

Thats my personal opinion.

I always thought his referance to always as the big E was partly symbolic as he had overcome mortal constrains and was no longer totally human.

Plus the idea that the big E was churchill would be intresting with the thought that the 8 foot tall superhuman immortal emperor of mankind was once a middle aged fat, heavy drinker/smoker.

just kinda pointing out, Captain Conrad is right, an 8 foot psychic god walking would probably have set off some kind of sensor or made someone notice, since every time someone mentions his presence he is too bright to look at. Someone like that would probably stick out in a crowd, and also leads to the question, HE IS GOD, WHY DIDN'T HE DO HIS EMPEROR S&*^ SOONER!?!? COULD HAVE UNITED PEEPS TWENTY THOUSAND YEARS AGO AND STOPPED THE GODS WAKING UP!!

IIRC There was a bit of fluff or possibly FanFic that said Tzeentch knew The Emperors name?

EDIT: Just to settle this discussion, his name was:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091109202336/familyguy/images/thumb/a/ab/CalJohnson.png/300px-CalJohnson.png

• 5 months later...
I think the reason he has no set name is cause the emperor is not one man, he is the manifestation of thousands of shamans so he has effectively lived all their lives so i think he just calls himself the emperor to make life easier on people rather then making them play 20 questions :)

It was stated in Prospero Burns that the Emperor has ensured that no-one knows his real name as names can be used to summon and compel people via psychic means.

I always liked the bit about the Emperor's name in Ian Watson's Space Marine. The vet. sgt is overseeing the initial testing of three potential recruits. As the final test he asks each of them - "What is the Emperor's name?", none of them know, so they have to make it up on the spot:

One looks at the Sgt and says " 'Awesome' is his name". The Sgt chuckles and says "So you see me as the hand of the Emperor? In a way, that's correct. Would you be his strong hand?"

The next candidate says: "Willpower. Willpower Supreme". The Sgt nods and says "A strong answer. A righteous answer. Would you be an instrument of His Will?"

The last candidate says: "The Emperor's name is Death". And the Sgt just smiles.

Archived