Mattsama's Blood Angels Batreps!

Mattsama

So today I got to play two games with the Blood Angels codex. My first two in fact. So let's just get strait into it:

My first battle!

Reclusiarch (Attached to DC)

Sang Priest w/PW and Jump Pack (attached to RAS)

10 Man RAS W/PF and 1 MG

10 Man RAS W/PF and 1 MG

9 Man DC w/Rhino

DC Dread w/Blood Talons and Magna Grapple (just wanted to try it!)

10 Man Tac w/MG and ML

Baal Preadator w/HB

Baal Preadator w/HB

His Chaos forces...

DP w/Wings and Lash

DP w/Lash

20 Man Berserker Squad w/ 1 PF

5 Man Noise Marine Squad w/Blast Master

5 Man Noise Marine Squad w/Blast Master

5 Man Chosen w/ 1 Melta Bomb

1 Deflier

2 Man Obliterator Squad

1 Man Obliterator

We rolled and got a Headquarters Dawn of War Scenario. I apparently wasn't awake yet, because from the onset, I was acting the fool... I deployed on my table edge, with my Tactical Squad on my objective and my DCw/Chaplain in a Rhino nearby and chose to walk everything except my Baals (which I chose to flank) in on my edge. He proceeded to put his Winged DP and 20 man zerkers all in my face. Going first I ate pretty much fed his Zerkers and DP a RAS... My DC Dread not far behind. The DC Dread made really short work of the DP (thankfully) and then proceeded to lock the Zerkers up for the remainder of the game (they ended up Weapon Destroying him to death!!). My first Baal came in on turn 2 and peppered the Zerkers before the Dread go them though... My DC and the other RAS went up on the other side of the field and braved the combined shooting of the Defiler, 2 Obliterators (he deepstruck the third and ended up so far away it was pointless), and the Blast Masters...

The short of the long here was that I made a lot of tactical errors and it cost me the game, though I did have a chance at a draw until his non-Winged DP lashed mt Tac squad off the objective and into charge range...

I'm a quick learner and the Red Thirst was working at me after such a stupid loss... I was soon asked for a pickup game by a C:SM player and I agreed. After some quick adjustments I found prepared to deploy my forces against his:

Librarian w/ Shield of Sang and Unleashed Fury (attached to DC)

8 Man RAS W/PF and 1 MG

8 Man RAS W/PF and 1 MG

9 Man DC

DC Dread w/BTx2

Baal Preadtor w/HB and XA

Baal Preadtor w/HB and XA

Stormraven w/XA

against his...

Librarian w/Smite and Machine (attacked to a 10 man Tac Squad w/special and heavy)

Dread w/MM and DCCW

Dread w/TLLC and DCW

Whirlwind

10 man Tac Squad w/special and heavy

10 man Tac Squad w/special and heavy in Rhino w/HKM

10 man Tac Squad w/special and heavy in Rhino w/HKM

3 Attack Bikes w/MM

3 Attack Bikes w/HB

Pread w/AC and HB

This game went much better for me. Kill Points, DoW. He got the imitative, and deployed both Rhinos up the middle of the field at mid-range. I chose to hold everything and walk in on my turn 2, forcing him to show me what his plan was. He put his Autocannon dread on one end of the field, and the Whirly on the other. Tac with Libby up the middle behind a building and the attack bike squads flanking that "command squad" like Bishops (he turbo boosted these forward to center field). His Dreads he placed like Knights outside a little more and left a good feeling in my belly.

I walked on, one of my RAS fell to the Thirst that had already consumed me, and I went about the game. On the side with his MM Dread, Pread, HB Attack Bikes, and 1 Rhino I sent both my Baals, the DC Dread and a RAS. The Stormraven w/DC and Libby and the other RAS come in on the other side. I move the RASs far enough forward that they both get a MG shot on the bikes and manage to pop a HB bike. The Stormraven moves 12 and shoots the TLAssC at one Rhino, immobilizing and stunning it. My Baals shake the other Rhino. he chooses to fail his shooting moral check and falls back with his HB attack bike. Thus ends turn 2, with only 1 casualty and some freaked out vehicles.

His turn 3, he shells a RAS, but I make all my saves or FNP rolls. His Pread shoots at one of my Baals and it laughs at him. The MM Bikes shoot at the squad of RAS (non-ragers) and kills 2. The squad in the immobilized Rhino hops out and puts shots into the Stormraven to little effect. His TLLC Dread shoots at my Stormraven and Stuns it but, XA to the rescue! That ends his turn 3. My turn 3 is a little more eventful:

I drop back 6 with one Baal and line up a shot with all its weapons at my foes MM attack bikes. My other Baal runs forward 12 (which he laughed at until I reminded him all my tanks were fast and then he stopped) and lines up on his Pread. My Raging RAS moves forward and tries to shoot the HB bikes (which turned out to be foolish for me...), my non-raging RAS moves forwards towards the MM Bikes and takes a few shots putting a wound on 1. My DC and Libby jump from the Stormraven and move up, well within charge range of his newly dismounted tac squad. My Baal destroys his Pread, my other Baal fails to wound the MM Attack bikes, and my DC kill 3 tac marines in the shooting phase. Come assault, his Hood stops my unleashed rage from going off, my Raging RAS cant assault cause I shot at the other bike squad out of assault range (doh), my other RAS assaults the MM ABs and my DC assaults the Tac squad. I drop the MM Bikes to 1 bike with 1 wound, but he stays solid. I wipe the floor with his TAC squad, but he gets my Libby with a power fist, leaving him with 2 marines. All combats stay locked. Goody!

His turn 4 was about as eventful as the third. His HB bikes stay away from my from my raging assault squad but fail to kill any, his MM Dread pops the closer of my Baals TLAssC, his TLLC Dread shakes my Stormraven which I forgot to move, and a HB and Flamer from inside the active Rhino take pop shots at my Raging RAS but again fail to kill any. His Tac squad with Liby join the fray against my weakened non-raging RAS. His TLLC Dread charges my DC. In assault phase, his 1 MM Bike with 1 wound stays and with the help of the charing tac squad, he wins combat allowing me to fall back 15 inches. He used his consolidation move to back up so that the other Rhino was the closest target for my raging-RAS :devil: His dread stomps a guy and I finish off the last of his tac marines with my DC and me and the dread begin the Krak grenade dance. My turn!

Turn 4 for me was decent. My DC didn't do jack, except hold him in place. My DC Dread made moves towards his Rhino that was still full, and ran towards it as well. I tooks some pot shots with my Baal that still had TTLAssC but didn't do anything. my other Baal used its Heavy bolters on the Tac squad that had the libby in it, and killed one. My Raging-RAS encircled and popped the Rhino and he made an emergency disembarcation and left me with a juicy 10 man Tac squad for assault phase. My non-raging RAS lit up the "command" tac squad and then assaulted them and the Attack Bike he had left in the middle of their formation. I killed the bike, and started working over the squad, but he held me there for a few turns. my DC Dread was in range of his open 10man Tac squad so it charged at the same time as my raging-RAS making stupid short work of it with those delicious Blood Talons (against a non-combat squad, these things are worth their weight in Sanguinus' Blood!!). The DC danced with the dread some more, losing 2 and shaking it.

His turn 5 his MM dread aced my DC dread with melta weaponry, his HB bikes STILL couldn't kill any marines, he FINALLY realized he had a Whirly in the back and took a shot and because of FNP did nothing. his Dread was out of assault range, so we had the DC, which he killed 1 of mine and I shook him again with Kraks, and the non-raging RAS which he killed down to 1 man and I killed down to 3 men and the libby.

My turn 5, I shoot his HB bikes down to 1 bike with 1 wound, I blast his MM dread to bits, but use a lot of shooting to do it. my raging RAS now moves towards the melee that would never end (everyone whiffed and we stood around blathering about who's Primarch was the better). Melee was surprisingly boring and nothing else happened. I lost 1 more DC and his dread was shaken again. But the rolls are on my side, and the game goes on...

Honestly, the last 2 turns go by so fast its amazing. He ends up getting my RAS and DC dead, I end up gettting his HB, Libby and Tac squad, and the immobilized Rhino. Final score:

He got 6 kill points and I got 10 kill points. I had my Stormraven (which was largely a good harrying tool though I didn't make mention of it much) and and both Preads bearing down on his Whirly and my last RAS wa engaged in melee with his last Dread. All in all a sound trouncing!

Afterthoughts from my first two matches:

first thing's first, DC need at least 1 Fist or TH in them to make sure they don't get locked in with Dreads all game long... That will be in my next list.

I really liked the versatility of the Stormraven. I will most likely keep on running at least 1.

Baals are still ludicrously awesome!

My second list felt a lot more like what I was going for, but if I had been forced to hold an objective I might not have done was well as I did. I might try trimming the DC and RAS squad sizes to accommodate a 5 man Tac with a Razorback (possibly TLAssC stlye).

I never got to use the magna grapple, so I dont know what to say about it.

With Chaplains no longer controlling DC, it just seems foolish to run a Reclusiarch when I can run a Ld10 hood and a 5+ cover save for LESS points...

All in all I think I did well for my first games with my angels. Hopefully they can reprieve their rolls as victorious brothers soon!!

I would say that if you're going for a small 5 man squad, always go for RAS over Tac, as you can't buy the tacs a Special or heavy weapon at 5 men, whereas RAS can get a special at 5 men, plus, with a RB RAS is actually cheaper, so you get more bang for your buck from an RAS with RB.

e.g. 5 man Tac w/ TLAC RB - 180

5 man RAS + MG w/ TLAC RB + EA - 180

Only time you want Tacs is if you're after the Locator Beacon.

Only time you want Tacs is if you're after the Locator Beacon.

Tacticals can't take Locator Beacons, unless they are in a Drop Pod with it.

Whoops, meant Teleport Homer.

Which is even more situational than a Locator Beacon.

Todays update is a DoW Killpoints mission vs the same Chaos guy as last week. 2000 points.

My army:

Librarian w/ Wings and Shield (attached to RAS)

2x Sang Priests w/ JP & PW (attached to 1 RAS each)

2x 10 man RAS w/MG and PF

10 man DC w/ Lemy and 1 PF

1x DC dread w/ Talons

2x Baals w/ HBSS and XA

1x Stormraven

1x Vindy

His army:

Dem prince w/ wings and lash

Dem prince w/ lash

1x 20 man zerkers w/ 1 power fist

2x 5 man noise marines w/ blast master

2x 10 man noise marines w/ doom siren and PW in rhino

1x obliterator

1x 2 man oblit cult

1x defiler

He went first, I held everything until my turn one. Rolled onto the table and ruined his day, killing the rhinos and 10 man squads right off. His shooting sucked, and mine was great for the first half. Then the dice reversed on us. His zerkers literally ripped the arms off my DC dread and beat it to death with them. DC did nothing because I got overzealous and shot the unit they where going to charge, and only rolled a 1 on the fleet move after leaving the Stormraven. His non-winged prince proceeded to lash them into the open and they ate shots from the defiler, and both Blast Masters...

In the end I had the stormraven, a RAS and the libby. He still had 1 5 man noise marine squad, a demon Prince, and his zerkers. All in all a good game. Though I was being stupid and forgetting to use the POMS on my SR to shoot the TLHBs after I moved 12 and shot the TLAssCs... I think I may have been able to pull out the win if I had... Happy with a draw though.

Archived