Forge World Gramm IV

Sons of Horus

The shipyards of the forge world Gramm IV were massive space-borne super structures surrounding the planet like a vast iron ring. Gramm IV was one of the largest forge worlds in the segmentum Obscurus and its shipyards rivaled even those of Jupiter. The vast ring was more busy than usual as a new space vessel was under construction. The Omnissiah’s Wrath was a truly gargantuan vessel constructed from cyclopean machine parts of various metals. This ship was designed by the Fabricator General of Mars: Kelbor-Hal himself however some input on the design and layout of the massive ship was accredited to the Adept Lukas Chrom as well. Omnissiah’s Wrath would be the largest space vessel in the Imperium second only to the planetoid form of the Phalanx. This ship was to be the capital ship of the Mechanicum of Mars. Its purpose: to strike fear and terror into the Mechanicum’s enemies, its form: a vulgar display of the most advanced technologies of the Martian Tech-Adepts. This was to be the most impressive vessel ever constructed by human hands, a colossal avatar to the Omnissiah itself. The galaxy would bow down to the full force of the Martian Mechanicum in the form of the Omnissiah’s Wrath. A ship of legends and myths was being born in the shipyards of Gramm IV. A space faring vessel like nothing the history of the galaxy had ever witnessed before was about to journey out into the stars. On the other end of the galaxy however, the Great Crusade was coming to an end.

"Warp-Realspace translation in ten, one-zero, seconds." was the only sound on the bridge of the Levitas Nox. The entire chamber was kept dark except for the eerie glow of dozens of display screens and command consoles. A hovering holo-image of Gramm IV flickered at the center of the command bridge which rose several meters above the rest of the room. The Levitas Nox was no ordinary ship. It was an Astartes strike cruiser however, it traveled alone.

Lightning flashed insanely as the very fabric of reality was torn apart and the vast, dark form of the strike cruiser returned from the warp. The vessel belonged to the VIII Legiones Astartes and was under the command of Captain Varin Ullanov of the 9th company.

The sleek dart that was the Levitas Nox moved silently through the void towards the forge world of Gramm IV. The massive shipyards could already be seen when a vox transmission was received on the bridge.

"Unauthorized astartes vessel indentify yourself and your purpose for approaching a world of the Mechanicum." the vox was stated in an almost completely monotonous manner as though it was an automated transmission.

"This is the 1024th expeditionary fleet. We have come to resupply before we change course to Nostramo." said the vessel's communications officer.

Captain Varin knew that the planet's remote scanners and surveyors were already doing their jobs on identifying the vessel.

"<ship identified>, -Levitas Nox of the VIII Legiones Astartes 9th company. protocol -resupply-. Very well Captain Varin of the Night Lords, you may enter low orbit and resupply."

The vessel slowly maneuvered its way into low orbit before completing the docking sequence.

Captain Varin spoke into the astartes channel of his suit's internal vox. "I want squads Talon, Night Wing, and Breaker at the embarkation decks within five minutes."

The 1024th did not travel to Gramm IV to resupply.

The embarkation deck on the Levitas Nox was not a particularly large space. Scores of servitors and menials crowded the the chamber and the gantries above. The largest object on the deck was an old pattern Stormbird coloured a deep midnight blue and covered in streaks of lightning. According to the older Terran Night Lords, this particular Stormbird served the Yndonesic Bloc during the Unification Wars. It was a legion relic and without doubt one of the oldest functioning machines in the Imperium. Captain Varin Ullanov gazed at the old warbird with reverence.

"If this turns out the way I think it will old friend, this will be your last flight." he whispered to the ancient gunship.

He turned away from the dropship and saw the heavy plasteel doors of the embarkation deck open with a hiss of escaping gas. Eight towering Astartes in full battle plate marched into the chamber. Squad Talon was terrifying to behold in their midnight blue power armour. One of the massive warriors stepped forward. He carried a long, slender blade which glowed with an unnatural blue light. He extended his free hand towards Captain Varin and held out a parchment scroll.

"My lord, Talon is ready for our oath of moment." said the hulking Astartes.

"Then I shall witness it, Sergeant Malikov." said Varin.

The large door slid open once again and six Astartes entered the chamber. All six warriors carried bulky jump packs adorned with all sorts of horrifying talismans and xenos skulls. They approached the Captain of the 9th company and formed up in front of him. Squad Talon already began loading the Stormbird after they had taken their oaths of moment. The lead raptor armed with a crackling energized claw handed out another scroll to Varin.

"Captain, Night Wing is ready for our oath of moment." said Raychev the Raptor sergeant.

"I witness your oath for the Emperor and for the Imperium." answered Varin.

After squad Night Wing finished swearing their oaths, they began loading the old Stormbird as well. It took less than fifteen minutes for both Talon and Night Wing to finish their battle preparations. The assault boat was now fully armed and ready for war. Only one thing was still missing.

"Raychev, Malikov, where is breaker?" asked Varin through the vox link.

"I don't know my lord, we assume he didn't receive the vox transmission earlier." said the two sergeants.

Varin was about to send another vox transmission to breaker when suddenly, as though his mind had been read, he was answered. The door slid open for the last time and a massive heavily armoured war machine stepped into the half-light of the embarkation deck. An ancient dreadnought of long-lost technology marched towards the Stormbird. Its heavy foot steps clanged on the decking as it passed a dozen menials. Captain Varin felt a smile form on his lips at the sight of such a revered member of the legion.

At last, his strike force was complete.

Very nice :P I do so much like dreadnoughts!

Only little thing I have as a crit is, I would like to hear more details on the Astartes' armour and weaponry - what are they armed with, what armour pattern is their power armour, are the sergeants different from the rest, etc.

But then, possibly you're planning on including that later in the story...

Looking forward! You don't get many Night Lord stories in the Forum, let alone Pre-Heresy Night Lord stories...and so far yours is looking good!

So keep it up :D

The tech-wastes of Gramm IV were vast areas of land located several hundred kilometers south of the Forge-capital. From the skies above it looked like a hundred starships had fallen from orbit and their remains were what made the wasteland. It spread for dozens of miles in all directions and the only living beings in it would be feral servitors and a few junkhunters. It would make the perfect hiding spot.

"Blackbird, take us down at the northern reaches of the tech-wastes." said Captain Varin throught the vox link.

"Affirmative. Landing in approximately sixty seconds."

The captain turned to his men in the Stormbird. Fourteen hulking astartes in reslendent Mk. IV power armour were strapped into their grav-seats. Each warrior was terrifying to behold and all of these men were veterans of the Great Crusade.

"Night Wing, pre-landing descent now!" ordered the captain.

The squad moved in perfect unison. All six astartes rushed towards the assault ramp which opened in mid air. One by one, the raptors began leaping from the flying Stormbird without fear or hesitation. It seemed as though they were plummeting to their deaths when suddenly the cumbersome engines on their backs burst into life with a loud roar. All six warriors began to spread out in a sweeping formation. Their job was to clear the immediate area surrounding the landing field.

"Treat this area as hostile territory. Kill anything that moves." was the order given by sergeant Raychev to the warriors of Night Wing.

The Stormbird quickly began its descent and all the remaining passengers braced themselves for landing. It would be a rough touch down as there was no even ground in this wasteland. The small clearing was barely large enough to accomodate the gunship but it was sufficient enough for their mission.

~~

"Sergeant, I have encountered a group of twenty feral combat servitors." said Rosarch.

"I sent Maverik down there ten seconds ago. He should arrive to aid you in a while." answered Raychev.

"Negative sarge, I've got my own problems to deal with over here." came the voice of Rev Maverik.

"Looks like you're on your own Rosarch. Everyone else in the squad seems to be busy as well. You can handle it." said Raychev.

Rosarch sighed. "This is gonna be one heck of an arse whoopin'." he thought to himself. He could easily handle twenty normal servitors but these were combat servitors armed with power weapons, heavy bolters, and by the looks of it some of them even had lascannons. What were combat servitors even doing here anyway? He quickly dismissed the question and observed his prey. Only four of them had lascannons and none of them had any visible targeting array links which meant that they wouldn't be firing in unison or that their firing pattern would be chaotic. He could use them against each other.

~~

Captain Ullanov walked into the dreadnought's deployment room. It was dark as was any other part of the Stormbird but his auto-senses more than made up for the lack of lighting. It was relatively empty except for the massive warmachine which stood in the middle of the chamber.

"So captain, will I give the order now or at a later time period?" asked the Ancient.

"Just wait for the briefing. You can give the command once we begin the mission proper, Therion." answered the captain.

"Ah, it's been a long time since anyone has refered to me by that name. I wonder if we'll be able to rejoin the legion after this campaign is over don't you?"

"If we survive we will. I'm sure the Primarch sent us here for a good reason."

"I agree with you on that captain. It was probably one of his prophetic visions that gave him a reason to send a strike force here."

"I don't really know, Therion. Especially because he gave no specific orders. He simply commanded our expeditionary fleet to investigate this world."

"What do you think he meant by that, captain?"

"You're the wise one you tell me." said Varin with a smile.

"Always the joker, captain, always the joker."

A strange robotic sound like metal grinding on metal was coming fom the dreadnought and Varin realized that the ancient warmachine was laughing. It was irritating to human ears but it comforted him for at least he knew Therion was still more than just a machine.

"Let's wait with Talon for Night Wing's return so we can give the briefing as soon as possible."

The two walked out of the chamber side by side and joined squad Talon.

~~

Rosarch pushed against a large block shaped machine which rested above a heap of scrap and junk. With one large push, the block fell onto four of the feral combat servitors utterly crushing them. The rest reacted quickly and before he knew it, the top of the heap of junk was torn into pieces by explosive bolt shells and incandescent beams of energy. The servitors stopped firing and the smoke cleared but Rosarch was no longer there. The servitors scanned the area with their built in auspexes but they couldn't detect anything. Suddenly a high pitched noise was heard and one of the servitors exploded in the middle of the group. The remaining fifteen turned to the source of the explosion and there stood fear incarnate. A massive warrior in the livery of the Night Lords crouched like a gargoyle. The servitors opened fire but the astartes moved like lightning and flew into the sky on his jetpack. The feral servitors couldn't react quickly enough and began to blast each other apart. Soon only two remained and they locked on to Rosarch who was still twenty meters above them. Before they could fire, a pair of krak grenades detonated beneath the servitors blowing them to smithereens. Rosarch landed smoothly on the ground.

"Sergeant, west area is clear."

"Get back to Blackbird immediately. Mission briefing is about to begin."

Rosarch holstered his melta gun and began to walk back to the Stormbird.

Very nice, very Night Lord-y :) Especially how Rosarch destroys the servitors!

Though, two krak grenades for 2 servitors seems a waste to me...that would be like firing a bazooka or an RPG at an ordinary soldier.

I also enjoyed how you described the assault squad jumping from the stormbird!

Anyways, good job, keep it up ;)

Thanks again :to: you're the only one who's actually keeping me writing :tu:

I wasn't entirely sure about the krak grenades and how strong they'd be so I thought two would do the job but I guess I over did that one hehe. I'll edit it to just one.

Hm, strange no one else is commenting, I think you've got quite a good story going here!

In any case, don't give up just because no one's commenting - that seems to be the fate of most people who post their stories here. Just keep going and keep posting, I'll keep reading (as long as I have access to a functioning logic-engine) :)

Rosarch entered the assault boat and found the rest of the strike force already assembled and waiting. He joined the rest of squad Night Wing to captain Ullanov's left side and patiently waited for the mission briefing to begin.

"I have devised a plan to get us the information we need on this planet. I want Night Wing to travel to Magos Marvius' forge complex which can be located twenty miles north east of our current location. No direct confrontation for your squad, Raychev. You'll be spying on the Magos." said the captain with a smirk.

"You're sending us as spies? What if we uncover enough evidence to deal with the Magos ourselves?" questioned the raptor.

"I wasn't finished sergeant." said Varin, "If you can gather substantial amounts of evidence that this world has turned from the light of the emperor then you may dispatch the Magos."

"Good enough for me." answered Raychev with a smile.

Rosarch somewhat disliked his sergeant's eargerness to shed blood. It was fine on the battlefield when the enemies of the Imperium needed to be terrorized but none of them were even sure that this world had turned renegade. Fear was only a tool to be used by the Night Lords not a way of life. It was a means to an end but not an end in itself. He wondered why such a hot-blooded astartes was promoted to the rank of sergeant when a patient and calculated one would better suit the role of leading his fellow warriors into battle. He had seen this happen many times before. Ezekyle Abaddon of the Sons of Horus was one such astartes. Who would've known that such a temperamental man could reach the rank of first captain. He decided to keep his thoughts to himself and carry out his duty regardless.

"I will be joining squad Talon on this mission. Our objective is to recover as much information as we can from the data cores located nineteen miles to the north west of this wasteland. Should we uncover proof of rebellion, we will inform the rest of the strike force immediately and shut down the data cores permanently. Is that understood?" asked captain Varin.

"It is understood. It will be done!" replied every member of Talon together.

"Good then. Ancient Therion, this mission must be done stealthily so I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait behind here. You'll be in charge of protecting the Stormbird from hostiles."

"Shall I send the message now captain?" asked the venerable warrior.

"Send it immediately after we begin the mission." Varin turned to face the two squads. "Begin now!" he ordered.

The warriors of Night Wing instantly exited the gunship and began to move towards Gramm IV's secondary forge complex. The sky outside was dark as the heavens were choked with roiling chemical waste clouds. The lack of light concealed the soldiers of the VIII legion perfectly.

Talon was next to move. They left the Stormbird but headed in the opposite direction. Captain Varin Ullanov was with them this time. They broke into a full sprint almost immediately after leaving the assault boat. Like Night Wing they used the cover of darkness to hide their hulking forms from the preying eyes of Mechanicum protectors and skitarii cohorts.

The only living being left on the Stormbird was old Therion. The dreadnought began to link itself into the communication system on the gunship.

"Levitas Nox, this is Blackbird issuing command theta-one-zero." said old Therion.

"Theta-one-zero. Command accepted. Breaking orbit now." came the reply from the strike cruiser's bridge.

The mighty astartes vessel began flaring its engines. The several service tubes and fuel lines that were still attached to the strike cruiser's enormous frame began collapsing or breaking off killing dozens of Mechanicum menials and serfs. Less than two minutes later the great starship began to pull itself free from the forge world's gravitational pull.

The Levitas Nox sliced through the void and disappeared from Gramm IV's surveyors.

Very good!!! :)

One question though...who was piloting the stormbird if the dread is the only living thing left behind?

Also, it seems a little dangerous to entrust such an important mission to an apparent psychopath such as Raychev..."substantial evidence" can be a rather subjective thing...

Intrigued how that's gonna turn out...

Keep it up! ;)

Adept Marvius' forge was more like a large machine engine than an actual building. It had a multitude of moving parts that really made the structure appear as though it were a living thing. The main entrance was located at the top of a massive staircase and was closely guarded by two gene-bulked skitarii officers as well as a strange looking robot. The robot was one and a half times the height of either skitarii officer although it seemed to be unarmed. Viktor watched the three guards with curiosity.

Why would they trust an unarmed automaton to guard the entrance to the second largest forge on the planet. He wondered.

"Let's go, Night Wing. Rosarch found an alternative entrance four hundred meters to our west." said sergeant Raychev.

"No guards? No scanners? No automated weapon systems?" asked Viktor.

"He said just be prepared to seal your armour properly." replied Raychev.

"What kind of entrance did he find exactly?" asked Viktor.

"I'm guessing it's the 'dirty' kind." answered Maverik with a grin.

The squad stealthily moved to their west. Adept Marvius was surely unaware of their presence, in fact, the entire planet was completely ignorant of their presence on the forge world. No one knew why they were here not even themselves.

"Where is it, Rosarch?" asked the sergeant.

"You're looking at it." laughed the astartes.

Viktor and Maverik glanced at each other quickly. It was a sewage pipe with a diameter of four meters. An endless torrent of chemical and organic waste poured from the mouth of the pipe. All of the astartes had their helmets on but they could easily imagine how horrible the smell would've been without such protection.

"Who's first then?" said Rosarch in a joking manner.

~~

"Adept, the Fabricator General want a status report on the Omnissiah's Wrath project."

"Tell him that according to my calculations, the starship should be ready within four weeks." replied Marvius.

"The Arch Magos himself has ordered me to deliver a message to you as well, Adept."

"Then speak it and leave. I still have many matters to deal with."

"He wants to begin installing the void spear."

"Tell him that it will be installed within thirty six hours. Do you have anything else to say?" asked the Adept.

"No, my lord." the envoy quickly bowed before exiting the chamber.

The adept's chamber was not particularly large compared to many other rooms within his forge but it had an unnaturally high ceiling and was only well-lit half way up. He moved towards an ordinary black box which appeared as though it had been fashioned out of glass. Several mechadendrites emerged from within his robes and connected themselves with the glassy object.

~~

"Night Wing, we'll exit the pipe here." said Raychev pointing at a vent. "Now everyone will have to be extremely careful. Kill anyone and anything that sees us. We'll find our own way to the Adept's chamber. We go on three, except you, Rosarch. I have another job for you."

~~

The doors to Adept Marvius' chamber burst open and a skitarii officer entered the room. He walked towards the adept stopping only a few feet away. Marvius detached himself from the glassy object immediately at the sound of the soldiers intrusion.

"Adept, the Night Lord's vessel has broken orbit unexpectedly." reported the officer.

"Well then that's a good thing is it not?" asked Marvius. "The Warmaster has been calling all those loyal to him to join in his new crusade. One that leads to the very heart of the Imperium itself: Terra. We have chosen our side, captain. We have chosen the Warmaster's side."

"What does that have to do with the astartes vessel that just broke orbit?" asked the skitarii officer.

"The Night Lords are an enigma to us, captain. You never really know who's side they're on." answered the adept.

A loud voice suddenly spoke as though it came from everywhere at once.

"Indeed you never know who's side we're on!"

Five figures dropped down from the darkness of the ceiling instantly surrounding the adept and the skitarii officer. They were massively built brutes. They were Night Lords.

"Adept Marvius, WE HAVE COME FOR YOU!"

Surprise! :)

Very very good, slightly reminds me of "Mechanicum".

Only thing that disturbs me a bit is that Marvius blatantly states that they have chosen Horus' side. First of all, wouldn't the skitarii officer know that already? And secondly, what reason would he have to say it?

Archived