chaos legion colors

It's pretty obvious that the horns on chaos helms are added as decoration and do not grow from the armor. For additional proof, look at the possessed backpacks that have horns actually growing from them, the place where the horn comes out, the ceramite looks broken and exploded outward as the horn came out, chaos helms on the other hand just have a fixture protruding out of the helm that holds the horn, but a uniform fixture that is obviously constructed.

As for the color change, it's a final rejection of the Emperor and a declaration of heresy. Most traitor legions changed their colors at least a little, Emperor's Children, Word Bearers, Dark Angels, etc.

From memory, correct me if Im wrong....

Mostly Post heresy though.

Dark Angels: repainted at some point after the destruction of Caliban, in a shade of green mirroring that of the planets forests.

Emperors Children: technically still the same colour, but once the legion broke apart into warbands structure has collapsed.

Iron Warriors: Still much the same, just years of ageing/abuse/warfare etc tainting the armour.

White Scars: mostly unchanged.

Space Wolves: mostly unchanged, the usual 10000 year swing as exact colour matches move.

Imperial Fists:Has only changed in tint, it was always bright yellow, not gold.

Night Lords:Still much the same, may be darker after the years since.

Blood Angels:same same

Iron Hands: Still much the same, depending on whos depicting it, the pre heresy colour seems to be unfinished iron rather than black.

World Eaters: Painted to display their alligence to Khorne.

Ultramarines: Always been blue.

Death Guard: explained above, was white, now coated in filth.

Thousand Sons: Changed as part of the rubric of Ahriman, seems to be agreed its down to Tzeentch, I would have thought a shifting colour scheme would have been more likely if this was the case.

Sons of Horus: Painted to black to break with Horus/Abbadon was angry. He aint the despoiler for nothing.

Word Bearers: Painted pre heresy to match their move to chaos undivided. Changes in red now due to time/warp etc.

Salamanders:tint changes only again.

Raven Guard: Black is black is black.

Alpha Legion: Legion temperment is likely to affect this, but main canon seems to be unchanged for the most part.

I miss anything?

It might also be worth mentioning that back in the RT and 2nd edition days, followers of Khorne wore Chaos Armor instead of normal power armor. Chaos armor was described as being "alive", and growing attached to the wearer, so that it couldn't be taken off. So I don't think the WE really had to redecorate their armor, more like the armor just did its own thing and changed itself to suit their patron's image of what they should look like.

It might also be worth mentioning that back in the RT and 2nd edition days, followers of Khorne wore Chaos Armor instead of normal power armor. Chaos armor was described as being "alive", and growing attached to the wearer, so that it couldn't be taken off. So I don't think the WE really had to redecorate their armor, more like the armor just did its own thing and changed itself to suit their patron's image of what they should look like.Skyzerker

Haven't heard that one before. I distinctly remember another chaos chapter doin something like that though.

The WE armor paint/caked blood thing gets brought up a lot, and the general consensus is that it is indeed repainted as the trim also changed to brass and just going by common sense, blood dries to a dark almost black color and would mostly flake off of something like ceramite leaving a dirty yellow and white and not the crimson of the WE. Then again, this is 40k and rule of cool supersedes common sense.

Maybe they 'painted' their armour with the blood of their enemies. There everyone is happy now ;)

The bunny ears look a bit like the top of the symbol of khorne, or rather the symbol of Khorne could have bunny ears.

No one ever asks why the TS have crazy Egyptian style head pieces. Maybe the berzerkers didn't want to be out done by a bunch of Tzeench worshipers.

No one ever asks why the TS have crazy Egyptian style head pieces. Maybe the berzerkers didn't want to be out done by a bunch of Tzeench worshipers.

Yes in the grim darkness of the far future there is only fashion war. ;)

Im still waiting for someone to explain to me why they grew bunny ears....

Because after seeing Monty Python, they wanted to be as hardcore as the flying bunny...

failing that, they shaped the helmuts as tributes to Khorne's ultimate warrior.

WLK

My question is simple: Why Imperial Fists didn't change their colors? They look like taxi and their great charisma suffers from it. If their colors were yellow and red instead of yellow and black, they would look like more royal and noble.

I think the "Khorne Horns" (I hate the term "bunny ears") could have one or more purposes. First, as has already been said, they resemble the MoK somewhat. They also make the wearer seem a little taller, and thus more imposing (at leat seemingly) in combat. Third, the shape is unmistakable, you see even just the silhouette of the helmet and you know what it is and who is wearing it. The WE have been thought of as a lot of things, but cowardly isn't one of them. They seem to like it when you know it's them you're going to be facing.

Any and all of those I feel could be decent reasons for the helm style, but I think the real reason is far simpler. GW has always drawn their inspiration from pop culture and historical references, one need only watch the original Conan the Barbarian to see where the helmet design came from... :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

pretty sure the World Eaters never repainted their armour. isn't it just the result of the thousands of litres of blood they have spilled for Khorne. I don't think a berzerker would be to worried about painting his armour a new colour.

pre - heresy World Eaters:

link

Nihm Edit: turned hotlink into a link.

• 2 weeks later...
Space Wolves: mostly unchanged, the usual 10000 year swing as exact colour matches move.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PH Space Wolves wear a gunmetal color armor with red chapter markings? Only later did they go to the blue-tinted gray with yellow?

EDIT: Like so...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/phidelt649/Random%20Crap/PH_SW.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PH Space Wolves wear a gunmetal color armor with red chapter markings? Only later did they go to the blue-tinted gray with yellow?

EDIT: Like so...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/phidelt649/Random%20Crap/PH_SW.jpg

The pre-heresy Space Wolves armor looks more fitting then the blue-tinted gray one.

I sometimes wonder if the Emperor was behind each Legion's heraldry. If he were, the traitor legions might have changed colors as a sign of rejection. The loyalists? Who knows. Maybe to commemorate some event in their individual history?

Archived