Plasma Cannons

Isryion

Plasma is great.. But between MLs and PCs I opted for MLs for my Dev squad because they are better bang for the buck (Better vs AV12/23, and still force a lot of wounds with Blast Markers, even against MEQ).

I use my Plasma in the shape of Plasmaguns/Combiplasmas, and pair them with Bolters or Hellfire Bolters in my Tactical and Sternguard squads..

I could see that being useful, but I don't use sternguard and one of the attractions of the PC is that they have range. I also get the versatility of the missile launchers, but to be honest, I've got plenty of tank killers in my list already. I'm also looking at going with either 2-3 PC in the Dev Squad and then ML or something else. The 3rd or 4th PC will come in the form of a tac squad.

That ^^ reminds me of a preference I had for loadout while fiddling with numbers and staring at the 2 PCs I had a coupla weeks back. 1 LC, 2 PC and 1 ML. Considering the signum on the sgt, the LC gets to be a little more accurate and combined with ML's krak you got higher str on half the shots for harder armour while the rest of the targets get 3 blast markers of various strengths and the las shot. It's like at it's most inappropriate target it's still almost half as good as optimal. 2 shots of twice 4 toughness, 2 shots can glance or pen AV 14, 3 shots are ap2, up to all 4 shots ignore armour saves on MEQ, 3 shots can scatter if scattering is what one needs... yadayada.

65 points in weapon upgrades.

That ^^ reminds me of a preference I had for loadout while fiddling with numbers and staring at the 2 PCs I had a coupla weeks back. 1 LC, 2 PC and 1 ML. Considering the signum on the sgt, the LC gets to be a little more accurate and combined with ML's krak you got higher str on half the shots for harder armour while the rest of the targets get 3 blast markers of various strengths and the las shot. It's like at it's most inappropriate target it's still almost half as good as optimal. 2 shots of twice 4 toughness, 2 shots can glance or pen AV 14, 3 shots are ap2, up to all 4 shots ignore armour saves on MEQ, 3 shots can scatter if scattering is what one needs... yadayada.

65 points in weapon upgrades.

I suppose the Lascannon or single shot ML would be the place to use it, though it might be fun to take that extra inch off of the scatter, too, meaning that most times it will scatter just 2 inches or less.

plan much?

two 10 man dev squads, sitting on an obj, with one of them having a sang attached. make the squads within 6" of each other, so they both get fnp.

give them all pc. i thnk that would be quite dangerous, 8 plas cannons, and you have to get through 12 men with fnp to even start dealing real damage to what matters. and, to be honest, who isnt terrified by 8 ap2 templates a turn? (ps, the person that has them)

I've been considering adding either a small dev squad with some plasma cannons, or a small Sternguard squad with plasma cannons and some combi-plasmas as ranged shooty threat.

plan much?

two 10 man dev squads, sitting on an obj, with one of them having a sang attached. make the squads within 6" of each other, so they both get fnp.

give them all pc. i thnk that would be quite dangerous, 8 plas cannons, and you have to get through 12 men with fnp to even start dealing real damage to what matters. and, to be honest, who isnt terrified by 8 ap2 templates a turn? (ps, the person that has them)

Wow. That would be too many points in static non-scorers for me, though it does seem like a whole lotta death. I like the tactical/Dev combo better I think (still with the priest, though), since you can take an objective.

I like the tactical/Dev combo better I think (still with the priest, though), since you can take an objective.

yeah, that does sound more sensible. i might try the double dev once though... lol

or... 3 dev squads, 2 tacs? xD

btw, let me guess what heavy weapon the tac squad has? :D

I don't know, The points difference betweetn 2 Dev Squads with 8 MLs and 8 PCs is enough to buy a 5 man scout squad that would add a scoring unit to the duo who could actually save them from getting tied in CC as well. So well.. I don't know, I just can't justify PCs vs MLs.

I don't know, The points difference betweetn 2 Dev Squads with 8 MLs and 8 PCs is enough to buy a 5 man scout squad that would add a scoring unit to the duo who could actually save them from getting tied in CC as well. So well.. I don't know, I just can't justify PCs vs MLs.

It probably depends on what you feel like you have enough covered in the rest of the army. I'd never go with two devastator squads for starters. I also probably wouldn't go with 4 of either in one unit, though I do respect the versatility of the ML, they're a bit of "jack of all trades, master of none." They aren't likely to take out the heaviest of vehicles and are going to fire single shots at power armor troops. One unit of full PC is only 20 more than the ML, iirc, so it isn't that big of a difference.

Archived