Repairing a Land Raider front ramp...

Hey all.

I have a secondhand Land Raider I got on the cheap. The front entrance ramp/doors were poorly assembled with too much glue, so the doors are frozen in a half-open position. I can't get them to close, or to open all the way. They're just stuck in this "let's disgorge some Ratlings" position.

How difficult is it to get at the mechanism that controls the opening and closing of the Land Raider front doors? I've found a place I can get hold of the bitz to completely replace the front doors and the mechanism, but am not sure I'll be able to get in there, replace them all, and close it back up without butchering the Raider.

If it's too crazy, I'll just cut the old doors, and fix them permanently in place.

Anyone have any intel or suggestions?

What I would do is force it open. Worked for me when I was fixing up this old Predator that had been fixed with plastic cement. I don't think you'll be able to get the mechanism working, however, no matter what you do. Sorry.

One of my clubmates had this issue.

He'd superglued his Land Raider together (badly).

He had some FW armour stuff to add to it (which had to be straightened first) and I had to also fix up the tank to get them to fit and he asked me if I could fix the front ramp too.

He'd stuffed the mechanism which is inside the front right track section. I had to take the entire right side off but seeing as it was only superglue, it came apart easily.

The strut was glued to both cams (why the mechanism was stuffed). The cams themselves were fine. The lever was also salvageable. I had to drill out and refix the parts together in such a way as to allow movement. Took me 10 minutes and another hour or so to rebuild the tank.

Of course, he then went and backed the car over it the following week (he put his case down but hadn't noticed it had fallen over, then reversed over it, crushing it and the other 1500pts of his SM.).

Thanks for the tips, all. I'll have to fiddle abotu with it to see what sort of glue was used. If it's plastic cement, I'll just rip the doors off brutally, and replace them in a permanently-closed position.

Try applying acetone (nail polish remover) to where the superglue joints are. In my experience it makes the superglue brittle and:

A) Able to scrape off

:P More likely for the glue to crack and you can free the ramp

Be very careful though as acetone for 12+ hours will do very bad things to the plastic, apply it sparingly, and only to the superglue, leave for 5+ hours, try and fiddle with it again.

Technique?

Take an old brush, dip in acetone and paint it on to the exact areas where the glue is. Dont do something stupid and put the Land Raider in a bath of Acetone and leave it for 10 hours +

Good luck

My method requires (similar problem) a bag of cannon ports for renaissance ships, 17th century. The parts I used are for closing and opening said ports, you could use these to make yourself a new locking machanism where the Doors could swing in. Problem of cause, they have no auto open, like normal raiders, but at least you will have a working ramp. If I find the time (and cam) I show you pictures.

Archived