Need some help with Lemartes

So I need some help with my Lemartes, as I've entered a local painting competition (Prize is the ability to gloat) but I just love Lemartes, the Model, the Fluff everything so I really want this guy to look as good as I can make him. (I'll post some photos for CC later)

But I need to highlight him ... and I'm just not sure how to do black I have almost all the GW colors so as long as those are suggested I'm good. I also have to admit I'm not terribly good with the whole 50/50 thing I find dropper bottles make that easier sadly GW doesn't use dropper bottles.

Anyway I normally use Astronomicon Grey (Spelling?) but that's a pretty hard highlight I thought maybe this time I'd try a 2 stage since I'm trying to do my best on him.

When i highlight black i start with a 50:50 mix of chaos black and codex grey. If youi struggle with mixing, i can tell you what i do. If i make a large batch that i want consistent i nick a few used 1ml syringes from work and used them for exact ratios. However when working on the pallette i use an old brush and take 1 blob from one pot and another blob from the other colour (washing inbetween of course :lol: ). The amount is pretty reproducible.

After diluting the above mix with water (say the same amount of water as paint) you can get nice thin layers onto the areas and start building up a very dark grey. It'll maybe take 2 to three coats. Then you can add some more codex grey to lighten it some (maybe even a spot of regal blue aswell...blue works nicely in highlighting black) and paint a fine line across the edge you are highlighting. Now water down some codex grey and finish off the line highlight in the middle of the previous highlight. This is generally the way GW paint their black for their models in White Dwarf. While not being totally accurate in the sense of where the light really hits the model, it does look good and is relatively easy to do. Otherwise you'll be going down the route of slowly blending up across the middle of the legs and arms where the light would really reflect off a curved surface. That takes a lot more practise to get right but looks amazing.....thats usually reserved for the golden demon stuff and high end display painting.

I too want to tackle the Lemartes model......i really want to try the latter highlighting method though..... Good luck in the paitning competition!

Archived