My first two marines

I'm still considering put some decals on,but I've had some problems with them...

Do you think guys is hard to freehand an ultramarines logo on a shoulder pad or a tactical logo?

Thanks!

Viktor http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31343829&id=1189690415

Well, as for the transfers, I recommend free-handing everything. I tried using transfers, and no matter what kind of water I used, how long the transfers stayed in, or how hard I pressed them against the surface, once they were dry, they'd fall off to the touch. So I free-hand now, and it looks better, in my opinion.

As for the grainy effect, I have no idea. I think it has something to do with the ambient temperature around the spray paint or something.

Your recipe for gold is quite good. Mine is darker: I use Shining Gold, then a coat of Dwarf Bronze, then a third coat of Shining Gold.

-Make sure to shake the canister well, like REALLY well.

-Well ventilated areas.

-What mitchell93 said.

-Using the instructions on the canister on distance and angle makes a difference if you can believe it :P

-Wash them too before starting on them so they are clean of any post production whatchamacallits.

Mine looked like globs of random paint put together when I did my first model which was a CSM, and it looked like a 3 year old did it with their fingers lol. I had everything wrong from pastel paint to old ugly brushes :P (friend let me paint one of his models but I should have learned from a seasoned painter since even his models sucked) but I smartened up and read some painting articles/books and actually went and got supplies, ended up with a million times better tac squad of SM.

Good job btw for your first. and free hand is better than those transfails.

Well, as for the transfers, I recommend free-handing everything. I tried using transfers, and no matter what kind of water I used, how long the transfers stayed in, or how hard I pressed them against the surface, once they were dry, they'd fall off to the touch. So I free-hand now, and it looks better, in my opinion.

As for the grainy effect, I have no idea. I think it has something to do with the ambient temperature around the spray paint or something.

Your recipe for gold is quite good. Mine is darker: I use Shining Gold, then a coat of Dwarf Bronze, then a third coat of Shining Gold.

Not to be obtuse but I prefer transfers. The trick is Micro Set and Micro Sol. Consistent free hand is really hard to do IMHO. Using transfers makes the "look" more consistent. Your mileage may vary.

Nice marines :P.

As far as decals go I have been considering making some stencils out of Green stuff that I can just place on the shoulderpads. Dunno whether it's been tried before?

Archived