The tools needed for conversions?

I want to start converting some SMs in the future, what tools do I need to start?

Depending on how far into the future, a time machine.

All kidding aside, it really depends on how much you want to convert them. If you are using the plastic kits and just want to mix and match parts, you probably don't need anything other than normal tools to do that (hobby knife, sprue clippers, needle files). One of the most useful things is a pin vise (a finger-driven drill) that is commonly used to drill out gun barrels and pin joints on models. A cutting mat is probably a good thing to have too.

If you are going to sculpt things, you'll probably need green stuff and a couple of sculpting tools.

A razor saw can also be very useful to make straight cuts through parts. You can cut a space marine arm off at the elbow with a hobby knife, but chances are you won't cut it very square, leading to lots of trimming; if you saw through it you're much more likely to get it square first time.

For plastic models use plastic cement instead of superglue...It melts the plastic where you apply it so that your fuesing the peices of plastic together. It is stronger IMO than superglued joints. Also allows for a little leeway with cuttings. I cut an arm a little off which normally required tons of trimming or fileing to get smooth for a good superglued joint. With plastic cement the joints melted together in a smooth neat edge!

Of course only do that if you know for a fact you'll never ever want to change the marines.

And NEVER buy minis from someone who does that. I bought 10 unpainted chaos terminators that had horrible weapon load outs... I literally ripped a terminator in half when I wan trying to remove his arm.... luckily I'm good with greenstuff and put humpdy dumpty back together. But it was not a pleasant experience... actually I bought resin bases to put them on and I dread having to get them off their current bases. I'll probably have to cut holes in the bases around their feet then cut the remainder off their feet...

So yea... only do that if you know you'll never want to change anything... even putting them on a different base or changing out a gun.

Yes that is a good point. Either be sure or just, as I did, use it for the main bulk of your army. Troops, Parts that never have to be replaced, smaller sections of bigger options. I found it was better for my bikers in the long run as they broke less...not a problem so much now that i can PROPERLY store my figures AWAY from my dog. But I have dropped my bikers 3 feet and they survived so...

Archived