Simple Black question...

I know there are hundreds of questions\posts on "how to paint black?". My question isn't really how to "paint black as such and I haven't seen it answered in any of the other threads (apologies if it has and I've missed it.) Basicly it's this:

Can I just use the GW chaos black primer\undercoat and leave it at that? (obviously add some slight highlights). Would it rub off or anything other side effects?

I also never put varnish on my models, It's all undercoat, then paint, done. If the above is ok would it need to be varnished\sealed?

Thanks in advance.

my black templars are sprayed with chaos black undercoat.

but it can have a tendency to look not-quite-black. so i will usually go over the model with some well thinned chaos black paint to even out the undercoat and deepen the colour.

then carry on with highlighting and washing as usual.

i tend not to varnish/seal plastics as there is generally a good enough bon between paint and surface without needing the extra protection. i do tend to varnish spray metals though as they have a far greater tendency to chip.

Make sure its a good coat of undercoat, and not grainy

If its done right, the Chaos black spray can give a good solid coat.

You will need a blast of Purity Seal/Matt Varnish to get it looking decent though IMO

I prime in black, and always at least go over the primer coat with a thin wash of black afterward. I'm sloppy with my painting of base colors, and tend to get blue, red, metals all over the black bits (silver on bolter cases, blue on soft armor joints, etc). If I didn't clean up the black completely afterward, the areas where I used black paint to cover splatters or mistakes wouldn't match the black primer coat.

Archived